Really really obscure Sheffield bands

I used to play in a band called PALIS (points and lines in space). I didn't think up the name.

Anyone ever see us? We had synths and used to play snippets of Thunderbirds programmes. Appeared at the Top Rank in a battle of the bands and came last.

How weird. I've just converted a tape I have of Palis to mp3. I think I saw you live at some point but I can't remember where I bought the tape. I think that some if not all of the band went to Frecheville Comp (as did I) and that was one of the reasons for buying it. I thought it was very good then and still enjoy listening to it now. Are you still playing in a band?

Another tape I have that I am converting is another Sheffield band called An Alien Heat. I knew their keyboard player Steve Naylor and saw them live at the Blue Bell in Hackenthorpe in the early 80's.

Some other bands I used to go and see were Vector 7-7 and Kiev. They both had mates from Frecheville Comp in them.

How weird. I've just converted a tape I have of Palis to mp3. I think I saw you live at some point but I can't remember where I bought the tape. I think that some if not all of the band went to Frecheville Comp (as did I) and that was one of the reasons for buying it. I thought it was very good then and still enjoy listening to it now. Are you still playing in a band?

Another tape I have that I am converting is another Sheffield band called An Alien Heat. I knew their keyboard player Steve Naylor and saw them live at the Blue Bell in Hackenthorpe in the early 80's.

Some other bands I used to go and see were Vector 7-7 and Kiev. They both had mates from Frecheville Comp in them.

I (Howard Goodison) went to Frecheville Comp and so did Ian Greaves. The other two were from other parts of Sheffield. What is the tape you have? I also remember An Alien Heat, but not too sure about the other bands you mention. I'd be interested to get copies of the mp3s if they're not too big to email. Let me know if you would. Also, be interested to know who you are.

Anyone remember

Stunt Kites

The Negatives

Typhoon Saturday

Yah - Boo

My cousin was the drummer in the stunt kites. He`s now in a band called Sparta fc. They play covers from the punk era, stranglers etc. very good they are too

I (Howard Goodison) went to Frecheville Comp and so did Ian Greaves. The other two were from other parts of Sheffield. What is the tape you have? I also remember An Alien Heat, but not too sure about the other bands you mention. I'd be interested to get copies of the mp3s if they're not too big to email. Let me know if you would. Also, be interested to know who you are.

I remember both your names, I think you were either a year or two above me. The tape is called Exhibition and features Palis (recorded live) on side 1 with Expose and Boss Beguine studio sessions on side 2. It cost 85p from HMV! I will let you know when I have split the tracks and converted them to mp3's. I'll be happy to either upload them to my web space so you can download them or put them onto a CD if you want. The original quality is quite good considering it's age. I'll scan the tape cover too. BTW my name is Andrew Foster. I was in the same year as Wayne Furniss, David Hinkler and Dean Methley.

The Tea Stains - mercifully shortlived, dreadful early 90's teenage indie.

Crikey I remember them! & going to see the Bendy Monsters at the Hallamshire...it cost 50p to get in upstairs.....they where crap:roll:

I remember both your names, I think you were either a year or two above me. The tape is called Exhibition and features Palis (recorded live) on side 1 with Expose and Boss Beguine studio sessions on side 2. It cost 85p from HMV! I will let you know when I have split the tracks and converted them to mp3's. I'll be happy to either upload them to my web space so you can download them or put them onto a CD if you want. The original quality is quite good considering it's age. I'll scan the tape cover too. BTW my name is Andrew Foster. I was in the same year as Wayne Furniss, David Hinkler and Dean Methley.

Thanks for answering. I don't recognise your name (my sister is a couple of years younger Gillian so you might know her). I remember Expose and Boss Beguine. I think we might have played a gig with BB.

I'd love to hear the stuff again so let me know when you've sorted it out - I think you can contact me via email if you click on my name and send a private message. I'd love to let my son hear it - no matter how bad we were. If you can't get a message to me I'll post my email address or let me know what your webspace is.

I'll try and send you a PM with a link to the zip file.

Newton Brothers 60's/70's

Played 1930's style music with topical news lyrics. Favourite saying

"Bu**er Barbara Castle"

Think she was reponsible for introducing drink driving legislation.

Newton Brothers

Strange mix

Music 30 years out of date but lyrics were up to date topical news items.

Dr Beeching closing railways

Breathaliser

Sexual indiscressionns of the days politicians.

They were so "bad" you had to see them next time to see if they got worse.

They seldom disappointed.

Southey Club was my usual venue during that period

Don't think anyone mentioned Mcloskys Apocalypse ( excuse spelling ) used to go to see them at the Broadfield tavern - and pay half fare on the bus to get there.

Hi i remember Mcloskys ! the bandleader had a big victorian house near havlock square ..went to a party once it was wild!! i knew the guitarist ..a tall slim guy long hair ..and as part of the act he would throw his guitar in the audiance .

I played and sang (badly!) in a band in the mid seventies with the atrocious name of 'Ichthus' !!!! The Old Harrow, Broadfield, Staniforth arms, Monsal head hotel etc etc. Had a really cracking guitarist called Nick Fletcher who I believe teaches guitar these days. Sure a lot of places did'nt want to know because of the s**t name!.

Nick is was an awesome guitarist, didn't Neil Morrell play bass for a while there too

Edited by gary in NZ
spelling

Hi Gary in NZ (lucky Bu**er!!) Yes Neil did play bass, we lived just around the corner from each other. I moved away from Sheff years ago so have'nt seen any of them for years. How did you know them?