People still smoking in pubs

Gordon Brown = Spirit Drink, Rise on taxes = £0... Go Figure!

Oh! He's backed out of the proposed rises has he? (FOR NOW; - IT WILL NO DOUBT COME TO PASS - eventually!)

I stand corrected. - However, I LOVE the FACT that you are far more likely to be killed or seriously injured through someone elses drinking habits than through their smoking habits.

Nevertheless, the main point I was making awaits it's inevitable proving.

Subscribe to the government's drive toward increased control of our lives and you will soon be crying for the loss of your own freedoms.

GO FIGURE..

I know it's not a pub, but the binman was smoking in the waggon when they emptied our bins yesterday. I thought company van's, cars and lorrys were part of this law too?

I know it's not a pub, but the binman was smoking in the waggon when they emptied our bins yesterday. I thought company van's, cars and lorrys were part of this law too?

If everyone in the van smokes I don't see the problem.

Yes, work vehicles are included in the ban, so this guy was breaking the law.

Wait till you holy non-smokers are whinging about the erosion of YOUR freedoms - when this oh so caring government get stuck into you. - Can't wait..

But your 'freedom' to smoke causes other people harm. Why should smoker's have a right to do this? What about people's right to work in an environment that is safe? Should their rights be ignored just for smokers' convenience? We restrict other activities that may cause harm to others, so why not smoking? We only have to worry about activities being restricted that do not harm people - this is when freedom would truly be infringed. Smoking doesn't come under this heading though, so is fair game.

But your 'freedom' to smoke causes other people harm. Why should smoker's have a right to do this? What about people's right to work in an environment that is safe? Should their rights be ignored just for smokers' convenience? We restrict other activities that may cause harm to others, so why not smoking? We only have to worry about activities being restricted that do not harm people - this is when freedom would truly be infringed. Smoking doesn't come under this heading though, so is fair game.

driving and drinking cause harm, you can drive as much as you want and drink as much as you want.

parking in a car park, contravenes the smoking ban - do you do that?

driving and drinking cause harm, you can drive as much as you want and drink as much as you want.

parking in a car park, contravenes the smoking ban - do you do that?

Drink driving is illegal so whats your point?

Why do the smokers who "contribute" to these smoking ban threads continually divert away from the topic and go off at a tangent talking about cars and global warming or drinking etc? I fail to see a connection.

Sure the government will soon have a new pariah to pursue, tax and eventually legislate against, thats how governments work. It keeps the proletariat arguing amongst themselves instead of watching the underhand business that is politics.

The significant thing about the smoking ban is its huge popularity with the general public, all the poles and surveys prove it, even the one on SF was overwhelmingly supportive. It is almost unprecidented, in Britain certainly, that the prohibition of something that was once so common received such support from the electorate.

Drink driving is illegal so whats your point?

Why do the smokers who "contribute" to these smoking ban threads continually divert away from the topic and go off at a tangent talking about cars and global warming or drinking etc? I fail to see a connection.

Sure the government will soon have a new pariah to pursue, tax and eventually legislate against, thats how governments work. It keeps the proletariat arguing amongst themselves instead of watching the underhand business that is politics.

The significant thing about the smoking ban is its huge popularity with the general public, all the poles and surveys prove it, even the one on SF was overwhelmingly supportive. It is almost unprecidented, in Britain certainly, that the prohibition of something that was once so common received such support from the electorate.

i did mean the two issues seperately, but maybe i should have said that.

people bang on about how they don't partake in activities which damage other people's health.

smog for example - only found in cities, caused by peoples driving.

drinking - more deaths than tobacco, and masive amounts of crime committed by drunks, much of it violent.

i have made many posts about the topic, check the posts in this thread.

it diverts to the drinking, or driving argument, because these activities also cause problems for the publics health.

But your 'freedom' to smoke causes other people harm.

TRY READING MY POSTS AGAIN.

I said they could quite easily install some kind of 'air lock' serving hatch in pubs.

But your 'freedom' to smoke causes other people harm.

TRY READING MY POSTS AGAIN.

I said they could quite easily install some kind of 'air lock' serving hatch in pubs.

And have a hermetically sealed area :D:loopy: It wouldn't be easy - the way they've done it is the easiest way.

And have a hermetically sealed area :D:loopy: It wouldn't be easy - the way they've done it is the easiest way.

Having visions of this air locked hatch installed in our pubs. Bar staff are given HAZMAT suits to enter the 'locked down' area to collect glasses! :cool:

When it is closed to the public, it becomes the landlords home:thumbsup:.

No wrong, its a public house even when its closed, also its likely that its a place of work if he employs others. The landlord/manager will have his own rooms separate to the bar i see the big fines coming in soon.