People still smoking in pubs

RichC

Well, you have a point there, of course ! Strangely, I'm sure half of Sheffield knew about the old-style shebeens which were illegal on just about every level......but somehow they functioned for years. I think occasionally they were raided but I didn't actually witness one myself. [ About the ones at Havelock Square, there was a rumour that all the cellars were inter-connected, from the days when they were used as air-raid shelters. So maybe raids would have been a laugh at the very least ! ]

I suppose the difference today, is that there are more prodnoses and grasses about and as soon as the Old Bill heard the words " illegal smoking ", they would launch a dawn raid, armed to the teeth and mount a show trial.

Another delightful 'side effect' of the smoking ban is the number of squeaky clean people (you know, the kind that don't smoke but DO drink masses of alcohol) complaining that since the ban they can't get a seat in the beer gardens.:D

HO HO HO!