Driving Test Centre Sharrow

I worked on the drivers exam centre in 1954 .when a was a apprentice painter with Ackroyd & Abbot

I remember it was adjacent to a school that I think was all girls.

The girls were 'special education 'student's, slow learners.

I had my first romantic tryst with one of the students.

I was 15 at the time

that was "Highfield School" which a couple of my neighbours went to, who had "learning difficulties" I know it had been a secondary school up to the education changes which happened in the 60s. From the 60's to the 70's it had LD students.

These days, Mount Pleasant House has expanded into that school next door, and is a youth and community centre. And Sharrow lane school, just abve both, is now due to close forever, shortly, :cry: crikey, what changes!

Was the Mr Tanner referred above an employee for BSM ,the place still near the top of the Moor? If so ,he taught me in a Mark One Ford Cortina.I think that was his name (1967)- a young tall man with Buddy Holly style glasses.He wasn't best pleased when I narrowly failed just yards from the end of the test returning to Mount Pleasant ,stalling while crossing Cemetery Road.He didn't let me drive back .Rightly too.I took the test later in Derby and passed in a Ford Anglia.

Forty five years later and no major accidents or claims against me but I rarely drive now as it is no longer a pleasure

I passed my test first time there after being tutored by Ray Noble who at that time (1969) ran the Dronfield School of Motoring, I remember I had two lessons a week @ £1.2.6d (£1.12) per lesson. I remember setting off from the test centre following a kid in an ice cream van and we got to the lights at the junction of Sharrow Lane and Washington Rd/ Wolstenholme Rd which were at red and he started to roll backwards, what a predicament on your test but luckily for me he managed to control it.

I passed my motor bike test there in 1958 and car test in1959.

I took my first driving test there in 1967. My father had a blue Ford Prefect at the time in which he gave me driving instructions for a few months prior to my test. I felt quite confident behind the wheel being accompanied by dad. However, on the day of the test, nerves took hold and everything went to pot! The biggest disaster was when taking a left hand turn, my door swung open out into the road !!! --- Talk about dying a thousand deaths--- I certainly did that day ! At least I can look back and have a good laugh about it today.

Can't remember who taught me to drive but he owned a Mini and a Mini Pickup. I drove both whilst leaning, plus, I practised on my Dad's Austin Cambridge.

Passed at the Sharrow Lane Centre in Dec 1962 (remember that winter?) just 10 lessons and a few weeks after my 17th birthday. I think that learning in a busy city environment ( used to start my lessons outside the Midland Station) helped me gain confidence quickly. I remember the examiner taking me on a really narrow street just off Abbeydale Road to undertake the 3 point turn. Guess that was the disadvantage of taking my test in a Mini!

Without a doubt, the driving test was one of the most nerve-racking examinations I have experienced. So much can go wrong and a lot of it is outside your control. I was lucky.

Been driving for the past 48 years and still love it, although I don't think standards have improved. Folks nowadays are under too much pressure in terms of time and hence the road angst. I've always been an advocate of 5 yearly re-testing for all drivers.

Driven to on holiday to the Med on numerous occasions since '62, the latest jaunt being two years ago and when I eventually retire I intend to do much more Continental exploring by car. You see much more of a country than you do from 36,000 feet!

So I've gone a long way, literally, since that humble beginning in Sharrow Lane.

I passed my motorcycle test there in 1962. Nearly 50 years - where have they all gone.

I passed my motorcycle test there in 1960, on my Ariel Leader. No formal instruction in those days. On the day of purchase of the bike, I was shown the basic operation of bike, i.e. brakes, throttle and lights ( by a well-known motorcycle dealer of the day ), then I was left to my own devices to get the bike from Banner Cross to the Manor Estate, having never ridden a motorcycle before. I practiced riding around the Estate and studying the Highway Code until the test. I passed the test first time.

I passed my car test there in 1968, in a driving school Vauxhall Viva SL Mk1. It was very different from the motorcycle experience. I had lessons with Jack C(L)are School of Motoring of Abbeydale Road. Again I passed first time.

Where did those years go?

Those years went thousands of miles down the road, and are still going ( faster as the years go by )!

Edited by manaman