Empty classrooms in Sheffield schools?

It is up to the governors what goes on in the school whether or not they technically own the building and in any case I don't think that you would stand a chance of renting a classroom (speaking as a governor here)

ps am assuming that you don't want to hire after school closes

in any case I don't think that you would stand a chance of renting a classroom (speaking as a governor here)

Can I ask why, for the purpose of research? I'd be interested to know your view, as a governor.

I know of two schools in the UK that are already slipstreaming in this way and in Australia it became quite common after they had a falling birth rate, affecting falling rolls/funding.

Thick question Titian, what is slipstreaming. :)

It's when two forms of education share a space for mutual benefit.

For example: If a school had falling numbers (thus meaning a loss of funding) and needed to increase their intake at nursery level they could slipstream. This would mean that the numbers for the school would rise, regardless of which form of education the children were entering into. A rise in pupils for the school could represent a lot of changes for the school: Retention of staff etc.

For the school it represents an increase in numbers so helps their funding. For the comparative education that has been allowed to share the space it means suitable premises.

I know you know what I do foxy, so I'll explain further about what it would mean to us.

For us it would mean suitable premises and a way to go on past 7 years of age. We would be able to employ a class 1 teacher through the school and continue to educate beyond 7 years here in Sheffield.

It also builds up community around the school and parents would share the school vision regardless of the chosen form of education.

It seems to be working where it has been implemented and I feel it's a way forward while ever we have a falling birth rate.

What other form of education can children partake in during normal school hours?

I can't see what it is you're trying to do please could you explain it further?

What other form of education can children partake in during normal school hours?

I can't see what it is you're trying to do please could you explain it further?

see my link below: children and education

It's when two forms of education share a space for mutual benefit.

For example: If a school had falling numbers (thus meaning a loss of funding) and needed to increase their intake at nursery level they could slipstream. This would mean that the numbers for the school would rise, regardless of which form of education the children were entering into. A rise in pupils for the school could represent a lot of changes for the school: Retention of staff etc.

For the school it represents an increase in numbers so helps their funding. For the comparative education that has been allowed to share the space it means suitable premises.

I know you know what I do foxy, so I'll explain further about what it would mean to us.

For us it would mean suitable premises and a way to go on past 7 years of age. We would be able to employ a class 1 teacher through the school and continue to educate beyond 7 years here in Sheffield.

It also builds up community around the school and parents would share the school vision regardless of the chosen form of education.

It seems to be working where it has been implemented and I feel it's a way forward while ever we have a falling birth rate.

What would be the mutual benefit? Surely if two different forms of education were taking place in one school it would be detrimental to the ethos of the school. How can parents have faith in two separate forms of education and, if they are similar, why not just opt for mainstream schooling?

What would be the mutual benefit? Surely if two different forms of education were taking place in one school it would be detrimental to the ethos of the school. How can parents have faith in two separate forms of education and, if they are similar, why not just opt for mainstream schooling? I don't fully understand how the numbers for the school would rise as essentially they would remain the same, the school would just be renting out a room and that is never going to gain the same income as per head pupil funding. How could staff be retained? Wouldn't they then be working for a different employer? Genuinely interested in your response as I work in education (although we don't have falling numbers, therefore no spare rooms - sorry!)

The school numbers would rise as you would have children "attending" the school who wouldn't normally. Each child in attendance represents a sum of money for the school. The staff would be employed by the LA, not a seperate employer. It wouldn't be detrimental to the school ethos, unless there is a very strong opposing ethos present in the school, governed by an outside body. We have an outside body who governs and regulates us (extra to ofsted) but we do slipstream with state schools in some cases.

eg: a pvi nursery moves into a school bringing with it it's children/parents. Once the children are ready to leave the nursery the parents would choose to either have them in one of the schools existing classes (in the school) or move them up to their expected class following in the slipstream education (if it was accesible). If there is no slipstream class(es) available beyond the nursery then the children would, in most cases, move up into the normal class within the school. All ways, the school increases it's roll. The LA would make no distinction of ethos, only see the additional numbers.

What I'm proposing isn't totally out of the question as I was approached by the LA a couple of years ago to do something similar in one area of Sheffield, to help out a school. At the time I wasn't ready to do this.