School dentist at the top of Prince of Wales road

did the cards have different colours on the corners depending on what your fate was when you got there or is the gass still getting to me ?:hihi:

I used to go to MANOR COUNCIL sCHOOL and we had to go to Prince of wales school dentst I remember it well I was 6 years old at the time(1928) I have visions of that clamp in my mouth and a big round ballon ,like a foot ball bladder The dentist told me try and blow it up I remember walking down City Rd back to school ,crying my eyes out Things were tough in those day The card I had was yellow Yellow for extractions,and green for fillings Happy days

i remember it well. It made me **** scared of dentists until i was about 22 and had to go cos of an abcess. Not scared anymore but the gas mask they used was horrible and i hated the smell of the place.

i remember like it was yesterday,but it was sixty odd years ago,it was such a traumatic unforgettable frightening experience,my parent was working so i went with a neighbour who was taking her son keith barker,the walk up to the manor top was like it would be our last,the first thing i remember after the mask was being revived over the sink wondering what the hell i was doing there,then i saw keith in the next sink and wondered how the hell he happened to be the there,what a thing to happen to children,i have never complained about toothache since.

[remember as one door shuts another one closes]/

I was having me teeth treated by Woolass's dentists on Staniforth Road when the school dentists came to Waltheof school in about 1970. They made an appointment for me to visit the Prince of Wales Road surgery for a check up. I was whisked in, knocked out and had 6 teeth removed without any consultation! My mother was supposed to go back to work but I was in such a state she couldnt leave me. Mr Woolass went berzerk but they never appologized to anyone. I didn't go to a dentist for over 30 years because of these butchers.

I remember going there, I would have been around 9 or 10, I'm now 74. I can remember the mask for the gas the "dentist" a woman and has I remember she had a speech impediment, she had a bad stutter, I was completely traumatised. so much so that since then I all ways have the needle at the dentist and epidural anaesthetic when having operations.

Next to the Dentist was THE CLINIC!

I broke my leg in the playground and the teacher tried to make me WALK to the dreaded clinic.

The nurse or whatever she was also tried to make me walk [i was screaming in agony]

They eventually decided I most probably was not being mardy and sent me to the Royal Hospital. Result broken Fibula and Tibula with months in full leg plaster.

Does anyone else remember visiting the school dental clinic located in the school at the top of Prince of Wales road? Even after 50 or so years I still have vivid memories of that place. Dentists?? in green wellies with green aprons covered in blood, long stainless steel sinks with kids spitting blood and throwing up, lots of screaming and those awful little metal clamps which forced open your mouth. Ah, the kids today just don't know how good they have it.

Little T

Our school dentist was somewhere on Attercliffe cant remember just where it was, I can still to this day see that man, ginger hair and his breath was foul smelling. I can remember him hitting me for not sitting straight in the chair, how would he get away with that today? then putting that horrible clamp in my mouth before putting the big rubber mask on. The "nurses" were just as bad dragging you to the chair then into room to rinse you mouth, one good thing at the end of the torture was my mother waiting for me with a scarfe to put over my mouth to 'keep the cold out', then a tram ride home to Tinsley instead of the usual walk home. Still hate dentists to this day 70 years on

Even worse than having a tooth extracted was having one filled.In the old days (1937-1943) the dentist used a low speed drill which looked somewhat like a spinning wheel.The dentist pressed his right foot down on a treadle, which was attached to a large wheel, causing the wheel to rotate.The large wheel was in turn connected via a thin belt to a much smaller wheel that caused the drill to rotate.

If the dentist's right leg got tired, the drill would slow down, and a painful tooth would become even more painful!

Thank Providence for high speed drills and novacaine.

Prince Edward school dental and medical clinics. The dental section centred on seeing how much pain could a little kid stand. I made at least 4 visits to the "dentist", each time for fillings, with each visit being more painful than the previous one. That woman did not have one ounce of care or feeling for her young patients. After my experience I would not go near a dentist until I was in my 20's. Like many kids in war years and the late 40's. I developed a skin complaint during summer. I used to get whitish blisters forming on the edges of my ears. These used to itch something cruel, so I was sent to the medical centre. Treatment was a yellow liquid applied around the outside of the ear. My problem was stated to be frostbite. The middle of b------ summer, and the bright spark insisted it was frostbite. Like the so called dentist, I ask what sort of qualifications did those people have?

The way kids were treat was tantamount to child abuse and these people would be prosicuted nowadays.

No not all the old days were good by any means!!!

This thread shows why most 50 odd yrs old have wonky teeth! I was so scared of the dentist that i had to have calm-me-down pills taken 2 days before my visit! I now go for 6mth checks but i dont like it one bit!:)