Any Over 60s Clubs?

sorry ignore above - it doesn't let me reply to your e-mail unless I have 5 posts. So I would like to say, thanks Debk for e-mail that would be a great help. :)

any further contacts you have that you could forward the message on to it would be useful. I could test in their homes, or they could enjoy a day out to the lovely Royal Hallamshire Hospital where I could do the testing also, thanks again.

So what are you all waiting for? are all you lively over 60s fun loving folk going to sit at home then? or are you going to start something up???? We have a big function room, with loads of free parking and its own private bar just waiting for you guys to come and get started. We are the Transport Sports Club at Meadowhead, where you see all the football pitches and we'd love you to come and have a good time at our place!!!! Ring us on 0114 2373216 or 2374130 for more details and get cracking!!!

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2007 at 10:24, Debk said:

so from the lack of replies I gather that once I reach 60 I have to sit at home, watch TV and knit?

I can`t Knit  lol  but I can crosier.

I do feel sometimes when we reach a mature age we are thrown on the crap heap and left to disintegrate

On 17/07/2007 at 10:24, Debk said:

so from the lack of replies I gather that once I reach 60 I have to sit at home, watch TV and knit?

:mrgreen:  Hopefully not!  

I turned 60 last year, I got my senior railcard, (although you can't get a bus pass until you're 65) and I got my Blades season ticket price reduction.  Great!  I was working down south and staying in Henley on Thames.  I noticed there was an "Over 60's social club" there.  So I went and had a peek through the windows just to see what goes on there.

There were "old folk" in cardigans and twin-sets and pearls, with grey hair, and the occasional "blue-rinse", sat playing cards around little tables, sipping orange juice and waiting for God to call their number.  :gag:  Methinks, "I'm not quite ready for this yet".  So it was back to the little cottage that I rent out in the countryside, on with the lycra running gear, and off for a 5 mile run through the Chiltern Hills instead.  

Now...

Point I'm making, hopefully, is that you're as old, or young, as you feel.  If it's your mum's thing to want to go to an institution and shuffle dominoes with folks who are waiting to die then she will find places to do that.  There are lots of "luncheon clubs" in the Dore, Bradway, Totley area - just get a copy of the parish magazine.  But there's also rambling associations, book reading groups, all sorts really.  A local library is often a good source of information (if you can find one that's still open!).

66 isn't old.  Not at all.  But there are massive biological differences between folks.  I've always looked after myself well.  Ate well, exercised regularly, kept fit.  There are some folks 10 years younger than me who look 10 years older.  But it's not just appearances, it's their outlook on life.  I've seen this with my mother-in-law too.  Since her husband died she's no will to live, she just wants death to hurry up and take her too.  And it's advancing upon her more quickly since she's thought like that.

There's plenty for over 60's to do - wherever you find yourself - but it's about the individual wanting to do this for themselves - no one else can do it for them.

Hiya id Iove to join your social club if you have room for one more. I'm 60 and ld love to join a social group ¹I'm happy to organise night out and meet friends

What about U3A (University of the third age,) lots of interesting courses covering all sorts of possibilities. 

I'm hoping it recovers after lockdown.

As a seasoned pub-goer, I've noticed over the years that early afternoons are often the time where the pace slows down, there is less noise, it's easier to get to the bar and there is a good mix of ages.  There are often clearly groups who meet up for a drink and a chat as well.  I'd suggest people try a few of them around your areas when Covid takes a rest -  you can just pop in for a quick drink and rest your feet while waiting for the next bus.  Bar staff are often less rushed and may have time for a quick word as well.  Try it!

theres loads of over 50/60s groups and they will all be back soon,just check your local area or contact the council,theres good quality meals as well,old type,apple pies,sunday roasts and even the odd singer/bingo all very lowcost,at lowedges we have many clubs and i am sure other areas do as well.

Can I also suggest people take a look at the 'Sheffield Interest Groups' on Sheffield Forum.

Lots of groups to suit all tastes, and particularly useful to the housebound or people who find it difficult to travel.

Sheffield Central Library also has quite a few groups (or had before lockdown,) and a list of various groups all over the city.

Edited by Anna B

Guest makapaka

Maggie May’s? 🤭