Vance Arnold 'You Better Move On'

I played with Joe for 4 and a half yrs;and was on all his Sheffield City Hall appearances,(An Avenger),I owned the first white Fender in Sheffield,inspired by Bernie Dewry's,Shane Fenton and the Fentones.They all played them.The Shadows had salmon pink Fenders.We played with Wayne Fontana and The Mindbenders,The Hollies,and The Rolling Stones, they were bill toppers and we were 2nd.(Joe bought the record 'You'd better move on'),probably from Violet May's,he spent all his Sat:afternoons in there) He played it to us once at a practise, and told us we were to play it at some pub: or dance that night. I am considering writing a "Joe's early days" book as his official biography is not completely accurate.No disrespect to his author but I was there and he wasn't.He has missed a lot of stories whilst we were on the road from 1961 to 64.

Time to write that book .

I played with Joe for 4 and a half yrs;and was on all his Sheffield City Hall appearances,(An Avenger),I owned the first white Fender in Sheffield,inspired by Bernie Dewry's,Shane Fenton and the Fentones.They all played them.The Shadows had salmon pink Fenders.We played with Wayne Fontana and The Mindbenders,The Hollies,and The Rolling Stones, they were bill toppers and we were 2nd.(Joe bought the record 'You'd better move on'),probably from Violet May's,he spent all his Sat:afternoons in there) He played it to us once at a practise, and told us we were to play it at some pub: or dance that night. I am considering writing a "Joe's early days" book as his official biography is not completely accurate.No disrespect to his author but I was there and he wasn't.He has missed a lot of stories whilst we were on the road from 1961 to 64.

I also went to that City Hall event, (November'63) which was "The Four Cities Rhythm and Blues Show" titled by the brothers Stringfellow. The cities and bands represented were: London-The Rolling Stones. Liverpool- the Big Three. Sheffield-some didn't show up and were replaced on the day and Manchester-Wayne Fontana and a group I never heard of, before or since-Lorraine Grey and the Chaperones -who did the best version of 'Be My Baby' this side of the Ronettes. There is a copy of the poster for this show -on line- at Getty-search-Wayne Fontana- and in the montage of pictures at the bottom you will see it. The Fentone's (they were not on that show) guitarist you referred to was Jerry Wilcox who's playing on "The Breeze and I' out did any lead solo of the time, Marvin included. I still play it to this day! Oh, and I believe it's 'Bernard Jewry' I recall The Stones on that show being the first time I'd seen a group without stage suits/uniforms and in regular street stuff, with every group in the world following that dress code after. While I'm evoking about it, I see Brian Jones with a lime green Gretsch guitar and knucklecord waistcoat, and Keith Richards wearing the first pair of bell bottomed jeans I saw duckwalking to their opening number 'Johnny B.Goode'. Happy days and thanks for the memory.

Me and my other half have just had one of the best christmas eves ever.

We got out our old Cocker C,D,s cleared the kitchen , set up the player, cracked open a bottle of Aldie gin chucked in some tonic and listened to Joe for two solid hours.

We finished of with a little help from my friends [13 mins version] doing air guitar and Joeisims.

Who needs owt else.

Here's Joe singing

LeoB

Here's Joe singing
LeoB

That brings back great memories of the Arbourthorne Hotel, the Centre Spot, and the Mucky Duck all at that time in 1963.