Vance Arnold 'You Better Move On'

Anybody witnessed Vance Arnorld / Joe Cocker perform "You Better Move On" in 1963? I am writing a chapter in my new Dutch book (the successor to my book "Grijsgedraaid") on that song and am trying to trace how the Rolling Stones got that song. I find Cocker/Arnold singing the song in 1963 (on the 2000 release "Vance Arnold and the Avengers 1963 live", the Stones recorded it end 1963. I also find Cocker played support act to the Hollies (recorded the song on their first album) and the Stones in Sheffield. Any connection there?

Sorry LeoB,there's no connection.I had a minor connection with music promotion in Sheffield in the 60s and got to know the Stringfellow brothers who promoted that show,Peter Stringfellow told me that the Stones were very insular and didn't talk to anyone or listen to any of the other acts.The just sat by themselves until it was their turn to play.

There is no mystery as to how the Rolling Stones came across the song 'You better Move On'. It was a hit in America for its composer Arthur Alexander, and was issued here on the dear old London-American label in 1962. The Stones always listened keenly to new and obscure rhytm & blues records, and obviously they listened to this one and liked it enough to include it in their act.

The Beatles must have liked Arthur too, as they recorded his song 'Anna'.

There is no mystery as to how the Rolling Stones came across the song 'You better Move On'. It was a hit in America for its composer Arthur Alexander, and was issued here on the dear old London-American label in 1962.

Arthur Alexander's version of that song was great, the best version, definitely. I had it on an EP that I got from Violet May's on City Road in 1962/63. Unfortunately, some time later, I left it on the floor near the fire and it warped *sob*

Strangely enough apparently he was born near Sheffield, although the one in Alabama!

That's hard luck, Ruby, as both his British EPs are valued at £100 each these days - not that you would ever have wanted to sell it, mind.

I remember only Wilson Peck's, near the City Hall, and Philip Cann The Music Man, in an alleyway which ran from the Methodist Church to Fargate, as shops which sold records, though I think both of them also sold pianos and other musical paraphernalia. What sort of place was Violet May's? From the name it sounds like a quaint little mom-and-pop shop.

Thanks! Arthur Alexander is great indeed. So the Beatles, the Stones and the Hollies must have liked him. He probably was something like a musician's favorite by that time. Arthur's You Better Move On never was a hit in England, was it?

That's hard luck, Ruby, as both his British EPs are valued at £100 each these days - not that you would ever have wanted to sell it, mind.

I remember only Wilson Peck's, near the City Hall, and Philip Cann The Music Man, in an alleyway which ran from the Methodist Church to Fargate, as shops which sold records, though I think both of them also sold pianos and other musical paraphernalia. What sort of place was Violet May's? From the name it sounds like a quaint little mom-and-pop shop.

Hehe it doesn't surprise me in the least, some years ago, i gave away the first Rolling Stones LP with their autographs on the cover, and a box of associated memorabilia to some "poor student" who was a "big fan" and the Beatles autographs too :rolleyes: Hey ho ...

Violet May's was a record shop on a corner at the bottom end of Duke Street or City Road, not sure now. They used to have all the American Rhythm n Blues and Blues stuff when hardly anyone cared! You could get second hand stuff there as well, that people brought over from US. I had John Lee Hooker, Howling Wolf, SonnyBoy Williamson, I was a big blues fan back then. Wish I still had them now ... they'd just fit in with my mood :D

Leo, no, Arthur never had a UK chart hit - even though he toured Britain in 1964. Ruby, those blues artists' names sounds as if you're listing my record collection! I would have revelled in Violet May's if I had ever found it. But I moved from Gleadless to wild west Leicestershire in my teens.

The Rolling Stones manager at the time (Andrew Loog Oldham) found the song through a publisher as he did with quite a lot of the early Stones songs.

I read that Joe Cocker aka Vance Arnold released some 45's local in Sheffield. Does anybody know what songs they are? Any different recordings from the cd "Vance Arnold & the Avengers in 1963"?

Arthur Alexander's version of that song was great, the best version, definitely. I had it on an EP that I got from Violet May's on City Road in 1962/63. Unfortunately, some time later, I left it on the floor near the fire and it warped *sob*

Strangely enough apparently he was born near Sheffield, although the one in Alabama!

I've got it on a Muscle Shoals soul collection if you want a copy