New ferret owners

With a lot of new people now gettin ferrets here are a few pointers if havin a ferret as a pet

1 new kits like to nibble things and hide everythin and anythin

2 ferrets CANNOT regulate there body temp so water must be always available if pos a fan blowing cool air when hot

3 they do like to sleep alot and have fast motablizam so they eat alot to

4 they like to nibble toes

5 it takes time and effort love for ur ferret to trust you or even obay you

6 if u dont wont baby ferrets and u have a female ferret this is a must U HAVE UR FEMALE NEUTERED OR A JILL JAB if u dont when the female comes into season it will kill her

7 if u can get ur ferret micro chipped as people do steal them

8 ferrets will get into everthing and take anything it can get hold of and are great escape artists so ur house and ferret cage has to be secure at all times because they will find a way of escaping and there great diggers to

wot we think is a bite is just a nibble to them so lots of handling is a must dont hit they use lound noises and a stern NO

these are thing we have found out or used and have worked for us any questions please contact us by pm or e mail

I think now after my bad experience after buying Deano, that you should check out were your buying your ferret from...

I bought Deano from a man who bread working ferrets and Deano was a tad wild and very nippy so if you want a pet ferret buy one from someone who has them as pets and breeds them as pets and make sure they're well handled too :thumbsup:

Also its a bad idea to assume that any new pet will have the same temprement as another one youv'e had even if they are the same breed, type, sex ect

this is a big no never HIT ur buddy as he/she will never trust u again

I recently got a lovely little ferret, I got the little guy on saturday from the RSPCA rescue centre in Doncaster. They only had him in a few days...

I AM worried about a couple of things...I hoped someone would help/ offer advice...

a) I bought him a bag of the James Beloved dry ferret food, but he hasn't gone near it! He's only eaten a few raisins - not good - anyone know what else i can try - he doesn't like ham!

b) He's doing his poos like a good little thing, but the thing is he's also making a green thing too - haven't actually seen him do it yet, but i think it's coming from his bottom area...he also spent his second day with me being sick...i put it down to change of environment. He IS hungry though - he wolfs the raisins down!

Please help?!

Ferrets usually love their kibble.

I think you should get him checked out at a vets or contact the RSPCA for advice as the green stuff doesn't sound good , an infection maybe? Also being sick sounds as though he may have eaten something he shouldn't have. The RSPCA shouldn't be homing animals after just a couple of days this sounds unusual, as their owner may come forward and also to identify any bad health.

One of my ferrets was from chesterfield RSPCA and he was in foster care for 3 months before he was up for adoption ,getting fit & well.

I use peak vets at woodseats hes great with my ferrets.

Yeah, didn't think the green stuff was a good sign!! I've tried ringing the RSPCA but they don;t do adoptions on wednesdays so tend not to answer the phone - I will try again tomorrow.

He did have a vet check before i took him home, all went as planned and he was allowed to leave with me. He's not a stray so no probs there.

I've actually been reading up on barf diets for ferrets and intend to go to netto this evening at some point for come chicken for the little guy - raw so the bones don't splinter.

I WILL try the vets at woodseats too I found an apparently ferret friendly vets online, but they didn't even know what to suggest for his suspected fleas. Poor little guy I feel he's really going through it at the moment - I have spoken to a friend who keeps ferrets though and he was able to recommend a de-flea product.

I'll keep you posted - and thanks again for the advice - from both me and mog!

do u know how old he is ? and what was the RSPCA feeding him? i i was u try a ferret food called frankie ferrets its a little expensive but its very good or try some fresh mince only a little tho. Also try and get him to drink some water and i would definatly get him to a vet just to make sure there is no under laying problems where do u live if u can pm me and we may be able to come and look ourselfs if ok or pm me ur number and we will ring u

Thanks Jedi, I'll send you another pm after i've managed to get through to the vets.

mince is a good one, i read that quite a lot yesterday and may well try him with that tonight.

Frankie Ferrets - I'll give it a go, i'd prefer him to eat biscuits in the morning and something meat based in the evening when the temp drops.

Thanks again!

hi merlin if u like send us ur address if pos as we wont to look at ur new addition and try and gauge hi health and i have some things on feeding and health if u wont them some one e mailed it me and i found it usefull

A ferret has an extremely fast metabolism (around 4 hours) and being carnivores require a high protein diet, if your stinker is not eating then he is seriously ill.

If the "Green Thing's" are in his toilet area then it will be faeces and will be green because he is only eating raisins, you really need to get some protein inside him. Pet mince is a good suggestion but feed it raw as cooking breaks down the proteins. You could also try him on a good quality kitten biscuit (over 30% protein) if he doesn't like his James Welbeloved (mine don't like it either) or there are plenty of generic brands about.

Good luck mate, I hope he pulls through.

Ferret update...I've managed to find something he WILL eat, fish!! I know it's not ideal but I gave him some last night, he ate it all like a good little thing, and gave him some again this morning. Kind of glad though that someone else's ferrets don't eat Wellbeloved - sorry Ash! lol

I have at last made contact with the place i got him from and they were feeding him Wellbeloved. So no joy there, I have found a local shop that stocks a different kind of dry food that I will purchase today and try him with, I also thought I might get some cod liver oil, and put just a FEW drops on the dry food in the hope that it smells nicer for the little guy.

Green poos have stopped - yep raisins were the key to that one i think.

I even got his harness on without a bite! Result!! Though he did climb up my arm hop onto my shoulder and round my neck for a little nip or several of my ear!! Bless him, seems he likes to sit on shoulders. When i carry him round the house thats where he likes to be.

Again, thanks and I'll keep you all posted, also if anyone else has a suggestion they'd like to make I'd appreciate it!

Glad to hear it :banana:

You could try ferretone or ferretvite on his biscuits. Not sure if ferretone is available in the UK as I've never seen it in the shops but I always get mine from Ebay.

Absolute god send at claw clipping time too! 3-4 drops on the belly and no nasty nips or scratches!

Never tried mine on fish but it is high in protein and "good" fat so if he eats it and looks well on it then why not, though I think I'll stick with my "free" rabbit and pigeon 'cos I don't like fishing!