Never mess with Betty Hill

No wonder Betty was a grumpy person she must have never had sleep. She will have worked her fingers to the bone. Poor woman would even deliver the papers herself before opening her shop on sharrow. I can remember Betty in three shops over the years. She never gave up even through attempted robberys and other problems. I was surprised to actually see her take a break one Christmas night in the cross guns (early 1990s) I hope Betty reads this thread, i for one take my hat off to you:)

Agreed, no-one could ever accuse Mrs Hill of being a Shirker. "Bl**dy hard graft" was her middle name, back in the day.

Wasn't the shop on Sharrow Lane called Hills Pantry, and painted blue? Not been about that area for years, but remember the scary shop.

K.

Edited by karl101

Wasn't the shop on Sharrow Lane called Hills Pantry, and painted blue?

K.

I think so.

The shop was on the junction of Sharrow Lane, and Priory Road, it is no longer a shop, it's been turned into student bedsits (A 10 { :wow: 10!!!} bedroomed house!)

To all concerned Betty is still very much Alive and Kickin, although she has in the last few years not been in full health after a bad infection around Xmas 2004, when we thought we had lost her.

I'm Bettys son in law, Married to her eldest daughter,

although I have only know Betty for 5 years, I find her quite a caricter,

To all concerned Betty is still very much Alive and Kickin, although she has in the last few years not been in full health after a bad infection around Xmas 2004, when we thought we had lost her.

I'm Bettys son in law, Married to her eldest daughter,

although I have only know Betty for 5 years, I find her quite a caricter,

I hope you will pass on our regards. Tell Betty to take it easy :)

Oh my god...sweaty betty, what a legend!! she was a mean awld cow. There was even a song about her when i was at schoo (oh yeah that was the mac lads)l. hee hee happy days. nuff respect to her tho, she knew how to scare those bad boys off. Long live SB xx

Edited by Jenster77
pressed enter before finishing

i dont know betty, but i do work with her eldest daughter, but from what i have read (the nice ones) she seems like a character, and definatly a grafter, more than some people can say them selfs, hold my hat off to you betty x

On 22/12/2009 at 21:10, karl101 said:

Wasn't the shop on Sharrow Lane called Hills Pantry, and painted blue? 

Just reading this thread after so many years after. I believe Hills Pantry was on Washington Rd, on the corner with Pearl Street. I'm not certain the name of the shop she had on Sharrow Lane (corner of Priory Rd) - it could well have been Hills Corner Shop? 

Whilst I'm here, the shop on Sharrow Lane, was previously run by 

Mrs Hazeltine, and before that, a Mr Frank A. Pegg. 

On the opposite side of the road, on the corner with Fentonville St., was Pulfreys corner shop, which was demolished in the late 70's - this shop (196-198 Sharrow Lane) was run by K. Pulfrey in the 1968 Kelly's directory, and V. Pulfrey in 1973. In the 1942 and 1954 directories the shopkeeper was given as John Martin. 

Edited by diezeltruck

did she and her husband own the shop on

the corner of Langdon street and Mackenzie street mid 60s

early 70s?

Edited by MICK BADGER

I remember the name now of

the shop on

the corner of Langdon street and Mackenzie street mid 60s

early 70s? it was Beresfords and on the opposite corner

was the mace shop where we went for Orangeillo

and Lemonillo