Sign in to follow this  

Hadfield barton

This is a long shot I know but I can`t think of any Sheffield site better suited to help.

Both my grandparents came from Sheffield,my grandfather Sam Barton from Attercliffe and my grandmother Elsie Hadfield from Ecclesall.

She had two sisters,Doris and Connie,and a brother Walter.Sam sadly was orphaned as an eleven year old and lived with his sister and brother-in-law at 57,Woodbourne Road.His brother Jonathan died in the first war but he had two sisters Mary Duggan and Alice Barton.

Some years ago someone turned up at our old village shop in North Ferriby outside Hull looking for anyone called Barton still around.Sadly the shopowner didn`t make the right connection(why should he anyway?) and the chance was missed.We had a family branch called Green in the Sheffield area,can anyone help or make a connection?

As a matter of interest the 1901 census shows the jobs that the residents of the house were doing Jonathan at 14 was a hammer driver in a forge,Alfred Duggan a colliery ripper,and his sister aged 18 with a 1 year old baby was a printers machinist.there was also a lodger,a bricklayer so there was plenty of money coming in!My great-grandparents both died before they were 34

of alcoholism, running a pub in Victorian/Edwardian Attercliffe was a doubly risky business.