Tintin book to be banned

Had anyone else thought of Tintin as racist before the CRE brought it to the publics attention?

Yes, "Tintin in the Congo" has long been considered the problem one. I haven't read it myself, but "Tintin in Tibet" was a favourite of mine and opened my eyes to Tibetan culture at a young age, so not all Herge books are racist.

Somewhere I have a childhood copy of "Little Black Sambo" passed down from my mum, which was even considered racist back then.

The thing is if someone is racist, by hiding what they say/think under the carpet doesn't make the racism go away. Some people are naturally racist, maybe because they know a lot of bad people who are black/white (depending on they're colour).

Some Asian people I have found are just as racist towards black/white people just as much as white/black against Asians. Way of the world I'm afraid, racism will always be around although probably better hidden which will cause more tension eventually. That is what happens when people of all colours are oppressed.

Orwell pointed out how the state likes to stop dissent by manipulating history. His Ministry of Truth had a department devoted to destroying records of everything it found inconvenient.

The Dambusters film soundtrack has already been altered. Guy Gibsons dog is now called Digger when shown on TV..

Agree 100%. These psudo politicians with their bright ideas cause more problems than they will ever solve.

The hero in question's dog by the way (for those that don't know) was called "******". It was a pitch black lab and the name was considered fine at the time. While I would agree that it's not acceptable to call anyone a ****** you can't change history.

Nice link to a site about heros

http://www.rbd26.dial.pipex.com/dambust2.htm

7) ****** the Dog

Guy Gibson's dog, a black Labrador, was a close companion, taken by Gibson on training flights, though not into action.

****** takes on the role of conscience - he is shown being given beer by RAF men, at the raid briefing he is excluded and driven away (in a friendly fashion), leading to his being run down by the driver of an unidentified vehicle which does not stop. Gibson asks -

7.1) for the code word '******' to be used for the breaching of the dam,

7.2) for ****** to be buried at midnight, the time of the raid.

****** becomes a symbol of conscience and of the ultimate failure of the raid. Other men are killed, Gibson loses his dog. (If it would have saved the dog, we feel, the raid ought not to have been proceeded with).

The loss of ****** is a foreboding of the ultimate failure of a raid which was popularly treated as a success.

Not a racist thing but it is part of history and if we make small changes it allows for greater ones to follow.

Anyone want to change the history of the jews in 1930s and 1940s Germany ?

I used to buy a magazine called "Scurvy Dog" which was very very politically incorrect, and a searing indictment of Britain's colonial past and multi cultural present. It has mysteriously disappeared from our shelves now, as if airbrushed from the canvas of history.

The Commission For Racial Equality is nothing more than a bunch of meddlers and trouble-makers. It is racist in its very existence. It causes more racial unease than anyone or anything else.

I actually wonder if one of its causes is to create tension where hitherto there had been none?

It, and all who sail on it, should be rounded up and thrown where it belongs: on the rubbish heap. I'm beginning to have doubts as to whether we (that is Britain) won the last world war.

It wouldn't surprise me if they banned the sale of velcro because it could be made into a joke about hair! Mad! :loopy:

The CRE have used up one of their two 'annual crazy claims' with this one.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Trevor Phillips has a gaggle of hyper sensitive Grauniad readers chained up in a cellar somewhere, whose release hinges upon one of them coming up with a sensationalist but diversity aware story.

One more bedraggled Grauniad reading 'news generator' emerges blinking into the london sun............. :D

So much seems to have been banned. Older posters might be able to remember the book "Little Black Sambo", but to ban the likes of Tintin etc shows how politically correct we have become since the 1960s.

So much seems to have been banned. Older posters might be able to remember the book "Little Black Sambo"

We actually have a copy of this on our book shelf :hihi:

The Commission For Racial Equality is nothing more than a bunch of meddlers and trouble-makers.

It's not just them, every downtrodden minority has their own equivalent desperately trying to find predjudice and inequality everywhere they look, we have Peter Tatchell.

****** brown jumpers were often on display in shop windows too.

"Unless society begins to tackle the problems of young, disaffected white men, we will not reduce race violence," CRE Chairman Gurbux Singh told Saturday's Daily Telegraph newspaper.

Only the whites with problems then?