Best resort in the Mediterranean?

Torrevieja is nice - its about an hour and a half away from Benidorm and in the height of summer is packed with tourists from all over, sweeden, britain, spain etc. However, out of season there is a large proportion of british ex-pats that live there. You can get cheap flights to either Alicante or Murcia (murcia is slightly closer but a smaller airport) and they have lots of british shops there too. My husband and I are planning to move there as soon as we can afford to move there.

They have two beautiful salt lakes as well as lovely beaches there and there are lots of different urbanization's which all have local shops, restaurants, bars etc. My fave of these is La Siesta - maybe I'm biased as my family live there but it is a nice, safe area and only 5 mins or so from the main centre of Torrevieja.

Just came across this while searching for something else. It's true that we'll all have different opinions on this, but for those interested in places in Spain, there's a forum that deals with everything for Torrevieja and all the other areas from Alicante to Murcia :

http://www.TorreviejaForums.com