Carbonated urine

This topic has been at least touched upon in various threads, but I wish to bring it up again, if for no other reason than to rant and let off steam about a personal bugbear of mine.

I'm talking, of course, about domestic lager.

I am more of a crispy pilsner person than a 'real ale' enthusiast, some of my favourites include Budvar, Warsteiner, and Pilsner Urquell, I also enjoy Belgian trappist beers such as Chimay. If you like your real ale, there's plenty of good quality domestically produced stuff about, but lager made in the UK is TERRIBLE. It's not really even lager in my opinion, in that it's filled with chemical additives that make you ill.

Basically what happened is: Last night I had two pints of UK Stella Artois, as well as some proper lager from the Czech Republic, and today I woke up feeling like death on toast. I should point out that I didn't get really smashed or anything, I usually drink the same amount of lager with no ill effects whatsoever - but I usually only drink imported stuff.

My own fault, of course, but I'm just amazed at how bad I felt from only a couple of pints of the evil imitation stuff. (Real Stella from Belgium is fine, but rarely sold over here.)

Why do most pubs and bars only have Carling and Fosters etc.? If they sell anything imported it's usually Beck's, and they charge you £3 for a thimbleful.

Anyone else frustrated by this situation?

Brew your own buy a couple of water buts to catch rain the best for making larger and get on with it

gis a shout when its done

I think Stella is pure evil.

It's amazing how different your hangover can be when you're drinking different alcohol.

My best hangovers are from drinking smirnoff vodka and diet coke/pepsi.

Never tried making lager, but I had a go at making rhubarb wine a while ago. Not sure I've got the skills really, the guys in Czech have been at it for 600 years.

A guy told me a while ago that all he drank was vodka mixed with pure orange juice and mineral water, in equal proportions. He said you could get as drunk as you want on that particular mix and not get hung over (depending on the quality of the vodka).

I enjoy drinking Stella but 4 pints is enough to make me feel rough the next day. I don't know what they put in it, but it doesn't agree with my system. The Czech lager sold by the Co-op only ( I think) is superb.£1.15/25 for half a litre. 4/5 bottles of that and I'm fine the next day.

There was an article in one of the newspapers about Stella being full of chemicals.

Dont touch the stuff

Why do most pubs and bars only have Carling and Fosters etc.? If they sell anything imported it's usually Beck's, and they charge you £3 for a thimbleful.

Anyone else frustrated by this situation?

Market force's mate i'm afraid.

If you will pay £3 - they'll charge it.

I agree with you whole heartedly by the way.

Imported lager such as Staroprammen and Warsteiner is excellent as this is brewed to the intended recipe and for the intended consumer.

Marketing undertaken before allowing production under licence and local duty laws and pricing structures (what you will pay for a pint) will dictate the beer strength and delivery quality.

I'm afraid that if you want it to taste like it does in Prague or Munich you must buy their authentic export products.

i think there taking the P***

Can't drink Stella gives me hiccups (too much gas)

Wise people with good taste you lot :D I love foreign beers!!!

They're just catering to the insipid tastebuds of today's pub clientelle and the British pub culture. The idea is to throw down as much cheap nasty beer down your neck in as short a time as possible before it all comes back up. It comes out as sewage so it may as well go in pretty much the same.

Thankfully, I'm lucky enough to have quite a few local bars which have a more continental café culture style - still expensive for the good stuff though.

I like guest ales. Black sheep is a nice pint but stella is great for a shindy. I love cafferys and john smiths smoth/magnet they make a good shandy too, stella and stones make me p**s ike a race horse though.