Sharrow Lane School

Hi Sylvia Jubb I remember old mr plant and you yours Chris polomski

Hi Chris,I remember you too.Haven't seen you since we left school.Time flies by so quickly.how are you?Hope to hear from you.

Good morning Robert

Just been prompted to contact you by my brother, Sharrovian.

I left Sharrow Lane in 1958 and do remember you, but beyond that I can't be more helpful.

Remember a Graham Nundy near you and his Dad, who like your father worked for the GPO as I did.

You will no doubt Remember your road with only a few cars parked, in comparison with today, when both sides of the road are congested.

Sad to see the church at the bottom of South View Rd in such a state.

You might achieve some response if you mention the names of some of the lads you remember.

Good morning again Robert ( that is if you are still looking at this Forum )

Now that I have cleaned my glasses and placed my brain into gear, I see your post was entered last year. Anyhow, my response today may be of some value in prompting someone to reply.

I've often wondered about the Methodist Chapel at the bottom of Vincent and South view roads. I remember as a small child appearing as an elf in a Christmas bring and buy. I can even remember what we three elves had to say in unison at the end of the show."You can't do better,you can't do worse,than fill your pockets and empty your purse". At least 80 years ago! Sad to hear it's in a dilapidated state,but glad the old school is still going strong in some form.

I've often wondered about the Methodist Chapel at the bottom of Vincent and South view roads. I remember as a small child appearing as an elf in a Christmas bring and buy. I can even remember what we three elves had to say in unison at the end of the show."You can't do better,you can't do worse,than fill your pockets and empty your purse". At least 80 years ago! Sad to hear it's in a dilapidated state,but glad the old school is still going strong in some form.

The Methodist Church at the bottom of Vincent road was a "prim", the one on Sharrow Lane was "New Connexion".

The new Sharrow school has been in the paper as it's won some architectural awards. My grandchildren go there.

I started at Sharrow Lane in the autumn of 1945 when we moved from Middlewood to Ventnor Place,off Wolstenholme Rd.I should have gone into J1 but due to overcrowding was put in J2 where I spent 2 years.I remember Mr Willey.He was a retired teacher who was brought in because of the teacher shortage,and was a little bald man with a cyst on the top of his head.He used the cane on outstretched hands for the slightest misdemeanour,and one brave soul called Michael Green from Franklin Street used to deliberately provoke him and try,often successfully, to catch the cane and pull it out of his grasp.Mr Willey also had a speech defect so we often used get up from our desks to get him to say "**** in your sheets".

Some other names I remember are Malcom Hurt,Maurice Ormesher,Marcus Adams,Phillp Lawson,Jimmy Green(who left post 11+ with me for King Teds),Graham Jowett and a lad surname Gascoigne (?Terry)

My sister Diana started in the infants in about 1948,but only because the school was able to persuade my mother to return to teaching so they could start another class.She was Mrs Goodfellow and remained in post till retiring in1962.My sister left post 11+ to go to Hurlfield (later Grange) Grammar.

Rod Goodfellow

hello iwent to sharrow lane school from 1964 i remember v goodison she was afriend of my brothers.

I started to be ill in the junior school and in my last year i had to leave and go to a special school. i recovered from my illness when i was 14

I remember mr blackwell but they are not positive. i liked ms dennis and mrs ainsworth.I still have aphoto of a day out with the class. mrs alflat is in the photo. Does any one remember school asemblys where mrs dennis used to clean her chait with a tissue before she sat on it.

does anyone remember me

I went to Sharrow Lane from 1970 to 1976. My teachers were:

Mrs Ancliffe (my first teacher in infants) 1970

Mrs Burton - infant teacher 1971/2

Mrs Dennis - infant teacher 1972

Miss Holmes -j1 teacher 1972/3

Mr Warbuton -j2 teacher 1973/4 - sadly passed away recently

Mr Blackwell - j3 teacher 1974/5

Mr Rigby - j4 teacher 1975/6

other teachers and staff i remember:

Mrs Timperley (Headmistress - Infants)

Mr Allen (Headmaster - Infants?)

Mr Bishop (Headmaster - Juniors)

Mrs Pearson (Deputy Head of Juniors?)

Mr Houston

Miss Beech (only recently retired after 40 years teaching with the school)

Mrs Allflat

Mrs Levick (Dinner lady)

It is so sad to see the old infants side of the school stand cold and empty and also St John's Methodist too across on South View Rd/Sharrow Lane where i went to playgroup in the late 60's.

I remember, too, the tuck shops on Sharrow Lane, just down from Club Garden Rd, where at one we got our sherbet dip from - the other shop was a door or two away where two elderly people ran it and we were always frightened to go in, as it appeared a bit dirty.

I also remember Mr Noakes the barber on the corner of Langdon St/ Sharrow Lane, Pullfreys corner shop on corner of Fentonville St/Sharrow Lne; Aizletines on corner of SharrowLne/Priory Rd.

I went to Sharrow Lane from 1970 to 1976. My teachers were:

Mrs Ancliffe (my first teacher in infants) 1970

Mrs Burton - infant teacher 1971/2

Mrs Dennis - infant teacher 1972

Miss Holmes -j1 teacher 1972/3

Mr Warbuton -j2 teacher 1973/4 - sadly passed away recently

Mr Blackwell - j3 teacher 1974/5

Mr Rigby - j4 teacher 1975/6

other teachers and staff i remember:

Mrs Timperley (Headmistress - Infants)

Mr Allen (Headmaster - Infants?)

Mr Bishop (Headmaster - Juniors)

Mrs Pearson (Deputy Head of Juniors?)

Mr Houston

Miss Beech (only recently retired after 40 years teaching with the school)

Mrs Allflat

Mrs Levick (Dinner lady)

It is so sad to see the old infants side of the school stand cold and empty and also St John's Methodist too across on South View Rd/Sharrow Lane where i went to playgroup in the late 60's.

I remember, too, the tuck shops on Sharrow Lane, just down from Club Garden Rd, where at one we got our sherbet dip from - the other shop was a door or two away where two elderly people ran it and we were always frightened to go in, as it appeared a bit dirty.

I also remember Mr Noakes the barber on the corner of Langdon St/ Sharrow Lane, Pullfreys corner shop on corner of Fentonville St/Sharrow Lne; Aizletines on corner of SharrowLne/Priory Rd.

I was taught by Mrs Alflat, as was my mother, some years before at Coleridge road school.

I remember Mrs Dennis, (quite strong lenses in her Spectacles IIRC)

Mr Blackwell was my J3 teacher, in 1974

Mrs Pearson who passed away in about 1980/81 was my J4 teacher in 1974-1975, and yes, she was the deputy head, from about 1969. The plaque on the memorial clock to her said that she'd given nearly 30 years to Sharrow Lane School from 1954 i think, till her death.

Mr Heward taught me history in J3.

Mr Rigby taught PE, and there was Mr W...... the Scottish chap who taught in the next door classroom to Mr Rigby.

I remember Mrs levick, the dinner lady. she was legendary for not allowing children to leave the table until every last scrap of your lunch had been eaten. (even if it was foul!) I didn't know miss beech had been there forty years.

I remember Mr Allen as headmaster of the Juniors when I was there, a stout, not very tall chap, but very kindly, and understanding. He retired, and Mr Bishop took over as headmaster of the juniors not long before I left for senior school.

(I remember Mr Allen still being head until at least Xmas of 1974 when I'd moved up into J4. I remember him coming in to our classroom and we pupils stood up out of courtesy. Then I let out a huge scream, because a wasp had flown right into my ear. Mrs Pearson went mad at me, but Mr Allen told her off, saying "She's alright, she was scared of the wasp, it's a natural reaction!")

I was taught by Mrs Alflat, as was my mother, some years before at Coleridge road school.

Joe9T: My Mum cleaned for Mrs Alflat on Albany Rd

I remember Mrs Dennis, (quite strong lenses in her Spectacles IIRC)

Joe9T: She told me off when I hadn't done anything wrong, when I moved into her class from Mrs Burton's, just prior to moving into Juniors in 1972.

Mr Blackwell was my J3 teacher, in 1974

Joe9T: I was in Mr Blacwells class fro September 1974 until Summer 1975. I think you were a year above me. I remember him taking a liking to Tracey Purcell!!!

Mrs Pearson who passed away in about 1980/81 was my J4 teacher in 1974-1975, and yes, she was the deputy head, from about 1969. The plaque on the memorial clock to her said that she'd given nearly 30 years to Sharrow Lane School from 1954 i think, till her death.

Joe9T: Re: Miss Beech... She started in 1969 at the age of 21 as a student teacher I believe and teached for the school right upto her retiring a year or two back. She naturally moved to the new Sharrow Lane school when it was opened.

Mr Heward taught me history in J3.

Joe9T: Are you sure you're not getting confused with someone called Mr Houston... tall, slim with curly or wavy greyish hair?

Mr Rigby taught PE, and there was Mr W...... the Scottish chap who taught in the next door classroom to Mr Rigby.

Joe9T: Not Mr Warburton who had a dark moustache and dark hair?

I remember Mrs levick, the dinner lady. she was legendary for not allowing children to leave the table until every last scrap of your lunch had been eaten. (even if it was foul!) I didn't know miss beech had been there forty years.

Joe9T: Mrs Levick forced my twin brother to eat the remainder of his dinner (the horrible "orange potatoes" and he was sick under the table... served her right!!!

I remember Mr Allen as headmaster of the Juniors when I was there, a stout, not very tall chap, but very kindly, and understanding. He retired, and Mr Bishop took over as headmaster of the juniors not long before I left for senior school.

Joe9T: I thought that when Mrs Timperley retired for the Infants, Mr Allen took over and possibly was 'Head' of both Juniors and Infants at the same time. Mr Bishop came later, but did Mr Allen leave then or just become just 'Head of Infants from thereon?

(I remember Mr Allen still being head until at least Xmas of 1974 when I'd moved up into J4. I remember him coming in to our classroom and we pupils stood up out of courtesy. Then I let out a huge scream, because a wasp had flown right into my ear. Mrs Pearson went mad at me, but Mr Allen told her off, saying "She's alright, she was scared of the wasp, it's a natural reaction!")

Miss Beech allegedly used to throw things like board rubbers and even scissors!!!

Can you recall Mr Arnold, the lollipop man, who helped kids across Sharrow Lane at the Cross Guns?

Edited by Joe9T

Miss Beech allegedly used to throw things like board rubbers and even scissors!!!

Can you recall Mr Arnold, the lollipop man, who helped kids across Sharrow Lane at the Cross Guns?

I can't remember if it was Mr Hewson, or Mr Heward, who was my teacher, (History) My sister had a teacher called one name at her school, and my teacher was the other, and being blonde, I always mix the two names up. (the fog of forty years, eh? lol)

No I don't remember Arnold, but I do remember Mrs Folger who covered the crossing at the lights on Washington Road.

When I started there, The infants definitely had their own headmistress, and I don't remember Mr Allen taking over both schools. Mr Allen retired when I was in J4, and Mr Bishop took over.

Yes, I must have been a year ahead of you, I left Sharrow Lane to go to senior school in 1975.

Sharrow Lane Juniors teachers and staff 1977: Richard Rigby, Eric Blackwell, John Houston, Bob Warburton, Eileen Beech, Elsie Mason, Betty Johnson, Jim Walker, Beryl Tunsall, John Maillard (Caretaker), Nancy Wilkinson, Patricia Alflat, Mary Pearson, Terry Bishop, Ann Holmes. Christine Hill, Jo Dennis, Doreen Close, Mrs Burgen

Edited by Joe9T