Sharrow Lane School

Another memory I recall,is when we were leaving school for the last time, Mr

Robinson,the headmaster,spoke to us. He ended with this motto, "It'll do,

won't do". Always remember that,he said,and I have for over 70 years.and I've always lived by it. I think he would be chuffed to know!

Runningman,

Thank you for the excellent photographs you've taken of the school,each one is clearly recognisable to me after all those years,with perhaps one or two small alterations. One is the Vincent Rd gates,they have retreated back under the junior school. And what have they built on the site where the Crossed Guns pub and Blenkiron's pork shop were,a glimpse of a larger building

I could see. The view down Vincent Rd wiith Meersbrook park in the distance

was just the same as I remember it. A lovely piece of nostalgia,many thanks for your efforts.

Our Family moved to Priory terrace from meersbrook during the war and just like the song when the child was told to follow the van we didn't, we went exploring endcliffe park and beyond and got lost. We hadn't a clue of the address nor a description of the house, My elder brother and I ended up sleeping in a garden shed and a bowl of pobs for breakfast. We asked a bobby to tell us where we lived, he didn't know but he took us to the box and phoned around and told us to walk along theer untill tha gets to roundabout the oar 'ill and down Sharrer Lane and a Bobby will be waiting to tek ya ooam.

We went to St Mathias because there were no vacancies at Sharrow lane but I was 13 so only suffered the religious dogma for a year.

It was significant the standard between St. Mathias and Meersbrook Bank on Derbyshire lane, i was years ahead of the St. Mathias kids.

Our Family moved to Priory terrace from meersbrook during the war and just like the song when the child was told to follow the van we didn't, we went exploring endcliffe park and beyond and got lost. We hadn't a clue of the address nor a description of the house, My elder brother and I ended up sleeping in a garden shed and a bowl of pobs for breakfast. We asked a bobby to tell us where we lived, he didn't know but he took us to the box and phoned around and told us to walk along theer untill tha gets to roundabout the oar 'ill and down Sharrer Lane and a Bobby will be waiting to tek ya ooam.

We went to St Mathias because there were no vacancies at Sharrow lane but I was 13 so only suffered the religious dogma for a year.

It was significant the standard between St. Mathias and Meersbrook Bank on Derbyshire lane, i was years ahead of the St. Mathias kids.

Stand by for the flak Floridablade !!

From whom or is it who. It's true Blitzer all that religious crap how could they learn their 3 Rs, they didn't although music was the next most popular subject at St. Matthias. We had a gorgeous teacher though called Miss Kendall who would sit on a desk with her legs wide open so even St. Matthias had its moments.

Good evening Blitzer

The original gates at the Vincent Road entrance are still in situ. I had positioned my camera through the metalwork. I would imagine the new barriers are there as additional security.

Looking at the photos again, I presume the building you are referring to close to the position of the Cross Guns pub are the council flats built approx 1965.

Hi Leipzig, BLITZER and Plaintalker

I have received some photos from Bill Allerton, the guy who organised the visit to the school. Have you received them also ? If not, then let me know and I will send them on to you.

It would be easier of course to give eveyone access to the photos on SF, but unfortunately I don't have the expertise to do so !

Can anyone help me ?

FAO of thai, Treatment, den 37, Cenobite, waddy, Thorpy and jazzman 1 and any other interested ex Sharrowvians.

Are you interested in the photos ? The set I took are all of the exterior of the building. Those that Bill Allerton took are a mixture of the people attending the visit and views inside the building.

PM me please ! Otherwise we are going to clog up this section with messages.

hi bill has emailed them me but i can only see two of them old computer lol

one of them is us all stood together which is a really good one

think he emailed quite a few people thanks anyway

I rec'd some pictures, but sadly this pile of crock computer won't open them :mad: (NB, i'm pretty certain the problem is with my PC, not the pictures?)

If any of you have any problems with the pics Bill sent you, just give him a quick email and I'm sure he will help you if he can :) (oh and tell him his daughter says Hi :D)

FAO den 37

PM me your e mail address please, so I can try sending you some photos.

Sorry for the delay, the good weather has kept me away from the PC

I started there in 1963 I think :huh: infants through juniors then to abbeydale grange.My teachers in this order were.Mrs ancliffe,Miss yeardly,Mrs timperley,Mr blackwell Mrs dennis and then Mrs pearson.Mrs alflat took us for music and choir and Mrs inkpen was a strange one who would have us doing plays to bowies space oddity .Pop allen was still the headmaster then.Shame to see it go but it's as usual down to neglect and I suppose newer schools are more comfy.

Just found this site and the first thing I come across is my old school.

Do you remember any of the Romano boys?

There was Lud, Vinnie and Leandro, Leonard went there later.

Be interesting to hear from anyone of that time.