Sharrow Lane School

Hi again

Here's a swimming certificate that was issued in 1962 and do you remember the little cloth 'badges' that used to clutter up the front of your swimming trunks, - they were gained once you had successfully swam so many yards.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x118/LeipzigLeipzig/SwimmingCertificate.jpg

Leipzig

I probably have some of those certificates and I do remember those tacky badges and Mr wall.:)

My fella went to sharrow lane.He is 40 now so it would have been in the seventies.He lived on langden street and later on washington rd.

Hi

Video of Sharrow Lane school on YouTube - Chinese Lion Dance.

Best seats in the house - toilet-end - lol.

Link to part one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFbxGLOXznU

There is also a part 2

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Lion+Dance+at+Highfield+School+Part+2

Leipzig

Cheers for that, my daughter told me about it and we've just seen her in the audience :)

My fella went to sharrow lane.He is 40 now so it would have been in the seventies.He lived on langden street and later on washington rd.

We'd have been there at roughly the same time, (I'd have been a couple of years above him)

it's LangdOn street, BTW

Hi

An usual thing from my time there in the early 1960s, which really sticks in my mind, was the Volvo car which Mrs Hirst came to school in each day. It had a rear-view periscope on the roof - I don't think I've ever seen another car with this device fitted.

Volvo.jpg

Leipzig

Sorry langdon street.His cousin's lived in the same area and went to the same school.You will probably know them as they are a few years older.

I was a pupil at Sharrow Lane fom 1947 to 1953, when I left to go to Nether Edge. I left school in 1958, so I was maybe in your year Runningman. I certainly remember all the teachers you mentioned. I seem to remember Mr. Foster had been a bomber pilot during the war. Was there also a teacher called Mr. Willey, who when he caned you, he used to jump up in the air?

A few lad's names in my year were, Dave Vardy, Roger Walker, Mick Linley, Pete Barton, Mick Bagaley and twins Jim and Jud Weldon.

Lots of great memories of the old school, I'm very sorry to hear it is to close. I'll watch out for details of eithr a visit or a reunion!

Hi Thorpy

Don't remember Mr Willey at school, but I have heard my brother who was also an ex pupil mention him.

Don't remember any of the names you mentioned, so we could be a year apart.

Do you remember an old pal of mine Ian Brelsford, lived on Vincent Road, also Dave Storf who went on to play professionally with Wednesday. 3 more names are Bill Radford who lived on Herschell Road and Chris Jackson and John Whitehead who lived next door to each other on Vincent road.

Here's another name I have just thought of, Alan Bradbury.

No news yet of either a school visit or reunion.

Watch this space

Lets try and keep this threading going please with some more of your memories !

I started in September 1951. Vague memories of being stood with my Mom and other kids and their mothers at the entrance on the corner of Sharrow Lane and South View Road. First lessons with Mrs Woodger who seemed incredibly old. PE in the yard and laying on some very uncomfortable mats to exercise. School dinners and a pudding that you could hardly cut through with your spoon. The death of George VI when we stood in silence listening to the funeral on the radio. The Coronation and we all received a mug and a tin of chocolate. The first school photo which I still have. The teacher Miss Hare, who I remember kept her handkerchief just inside the elastic of her very large knickers. The size of the classes. We were of course the ' Baby Boomers ' There must have been over 50 kids in some of the classes !

Moving from the infants to the juniors you felt very grown up. Junior 1 with Mr Furniss, who was an ex Bevan Boy. He lives on the next road to me !

Mrs Pearson in J2, wasn't too keen on the lady, especially when she embarrased me by slapping my arm in front of the class.

Into J3 with Mr Self and then Mr Wild. We then started playing rounders in the yard and I played for the school at Anns road, Carfield and Meersbrook Bank. Football in Endcliffe Park on a Saturday morning.

We listened intently to a Nature Study programme on the radio and occasionally suffered the effects of some terrible smogs when night time descended on all those kids in the playground.

The 11 plus and some very disappointed lads, me being one of them.

Many school friends disappeared from our lives as we split up and went to schools all over the city.

Seven years at that school and I remember walking away on that July afternoon in 1958 and I have never been back inside the buliding again.

Hi Runningman

I started at Sharrow Lane school in 1958, so started as you finished so to speak. Can't say as I was very keen on the dinners either, infact I've never touched a baked been since, put me right off! I remember those coconut type mats we used to get out each time we did PE; the box full of plimsoles with the size painted on the upper; and of course the bean bags we used to throw about - we were not allowed to throw balls around inside. We used to enjoy the occaisonal slide show using a slide projector (colour black). I suppose it seemed quite a modern piece of equipment at the time, but would be looked on as being very large and primitive by today's standards. The slides were usually a kind of victorian woodcut in style, usually about farming or harvest time as I seem to remember. Or they were black and white photographs, probably of a plantation owned by some big coffee manufacturer or other. All the workers and their children were portrayed as being very happy with their lot in life, and as I was only seven or eight years old at the time - I believed they were.

Leipzig