Sharrow Lane School

Mrs Pearson was possibly the nicest person that I ever met in my life.

i would like to hear from anyone at sharrow lane school between the years 1952-7 my name is bob gorrill i used to live on vincent rd,i played all sports for the school and i do remember all the pupils and teachers mentioned if anyone remembers me it would be nice to hear from you regards bob.

Bob I attended Sharrow Lane School from 1952 to going to Newfield in 1958. I also lived on Vincent Road at number 50, next door but one to the school. Memory not that good, but the teacher I particularly remember was Mr Buxton. Don't know which part of Vincent Road you lived on but I remember Linda Rolfe, Steven Jones and David Hill.

---------- Post added 12-12-2012 at 22:29 ----------

Bob I attended Sharrow Lane School from 1952 to going to Newfield in 1958. I also lived on Vincent Road at number 50, next door but one to the school. Memory not that good, but the teacher I particularly remember was Mr Buxton. Don't know which part of Vincent Road you lived on but I remember Linda Rolfe, Steven Jones and David Hill.

Bob should have also said my name is Roy Butler

---------- Post added 12-12-2012 at 22:42 ----------

Running man, sorry perhaps a bit late in the day, but only just recently joined. Is there any chance of emailing me your photographs of the exterior. It would appear that the interior changed so much from my day. One memory from the interior was a stuffed squirrel in a display cabinet, can you recall this?

I left Sharrow Lane school in April 1952 and have previously posted on this thread.

My sister Julie and I went to Sharrow Lane Junior school in 1971/72, me for J4 only. I was Head Girl there, although being HG in a Junior school did not attract the same kudos as HG of a secondary or comprehensive school, all I had was a little shield badge. Mrs Pearson was my form teacher and she was a lovely lady. Mr (Popsy) Allen was the Headmaster and was there when my dad also attended back in the early 50's. I remember a few fellow pupils - Suzanne Riley, Lynsday Gregg, Karen Godbehere, Denise Pemberton, to name a few - although my memory is not as good now I am in my 50's!! It would be nice if anyone from that era would post something. I remember being in the rounders team and our playing in a Sheffield schools final at St Paul's ?? school on Granville Road - they had proper grass!!! We were runners up on the day. I remember very well that anyone being a left hander and batting in our yard could easily slog it over the wall onto Vincent Road.. Happy memories and happy days.

I left sharrow lane about 1971 I did not finish my last year I remember mrs pearson. I also remember mr allan. There was also a music teacher called mrs Alflat.

I left sharrow lane about 1971 I did not finish my last year I remember mrs pearson. I also remember mr allan. There was also a music teacher called mrs Alflat.

Mrs Alflat taught my mother at Coleridge Road, in what was probably her first post as a teacher, then twenty or so years later, Mrs Alflat taught me at Sharrow Lane.

Mr Allen (Pop Allen) was the headmaster when I was there, and Mrs Pearson was my form mistress in J4, as well as her being the deputy headmistress.

Hello Thai, you mention a Diane Kirk in your post....Im certain this was my mum. Unfortunately she passed away in 2009 aged 57.Do you have any school photographs as I would love to see them.

I started at Sharrow Lane School in 1948 and left in 1956/7 and finished my school days at Newfield

My brother and I have just visited the Three Bears Cafe which is situated in what was the girls hall on the ground floor and is accessed by the gate at the Vincent Rd/Sharrow Lane corner, we recommend you visit the cafe and as we did, look around parts of the school, Ah! nostalgia, there is nothing to match it. If there are any "boys" out there who left at Xmas '51 or Easter and Summer '52 please get in touch.

I will make an effort to go to the café it sounds fun

Full marks to those who saved the old school from demolition.

Well done to all those small businesses in there and for the organisations and community groups who are providing a valuable service.

The cafe is a welcome addition, please give it a try and when you have fed your face have a wander round and if you are an ex pupil, the nostalgia on offer is first class.

Lads and lasses who attended between Sep 1951 and July 1958, please contribute to this post and send me a pm.

I would be delighted to make a return visit to the school... I didn't know of this cafe'... which would be a brilliant opportunity to include a nostalgic look around. I have returned several times to have a wander around the yard playgrounds... but ..not knowing what the premises are now used for.. was never sure that I was entitled to be there. Could this be taken a stage further ?.. and make a selection of future dates, for a possible cafe' gathering ? ../.. David G.Johnson. (Franklin street - Salmon street corner shop) Sharrow school from around 1953 - 1958.. To meet a few faces from the past, would be wonderful.