Sharrow Lane School

I would be delighted to make a return visit to the school... I didn't know of this cafe'... which would be a brilliant opportunity to include a nostalgic look around. I have returned several times to have a wander around the yard playgrounds... but ..not knowing what the premises are now used for.. was never sure that I was entitled to be there. Could this be taken a stage further ?.. and make a selection of future dates, for a possible cafe' gathering ? ../.. David G.Johnson. (Franklin street - Salmon street corner shop) Sharrow school from around 1953 - 1958.. To meet a few faces from the past, would be wonderful.

Hi David, that has to be a good idea, although I don't think the 3 Bears will hold

200 ex pupils !!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, lets wait for some more posts and organise a get together when there appears to be a good response.

Hi David, that has to be a good idea, although I don't think the 3 Bears will hold

200 ex pupils !!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, lets wait for some more posts and organise a get together when there appears to be a good response.

I would really look forward to such an event.... My last visit was a 'public open day' during the schools centenary year and the classrooms were in full swing. In any event.. it would be great to simply have a look around. So'.. fingers crossed for a possible meet. An ad. in 'The Star' would work well... but as you point out... space is limited so we'll see how it goes..... Cheers from Dj.

Do you remember a couple brothers living on washinton road Richard and Mark .Chrisdiy

Richard and Mark Johnstone lived in our yard.

Can anyone please help?

I started Sharrowlane school in 1976 and my first teacher was called Miss Hadwin does anyone remember her? I am anxious to get in touch with her if she is still with us that is.

Really hoping someone can help

Please see my post dated 16-11-14 on "What was Sharrow like in the 1970s" as I mentioned it might ring a few bells.

200 ex pupils !!!!!!!!!!

Re a reunion at the 3 Bears. Please pm me with your e mail address if you would be interested

Thanks from RS, I attended 1951 to 1958

I can make a slot to get to the '3 bears' anytime / any day... I will send you my e'mail.... here's hoping that others may pick up on this too....Cheers from David G Johnson... Franklin street corner shop... up until demolition... Sharrow lane school mid 50s... Cubs / Scout band and youth club.. Sharrow St.Johns.

Hello Thai, you mention a Diane Kirk in your post....Im certain this was my mum. Unfortunately she passed away in 2009 aged 57.Do you have any school photographs as I would love to see them.

Hi happyone sorry to hear your Mom passed away, Diane Kirk was my childhood sweetheart at Sharrow la, we were only about 10/11, when we moved to senior school we never saw each other again, until I was working for Post Office Telephones at Sheffield Transport dept near the Markets I was waiting for the lift when the doors opened and Diane was in the lift. I remember we were both very shy, we had a short chat and I've not seen her since. sorry I have no Photographs of school days wish I had:)

Hi - I remember Dianne too - she was in my year at Sharrow Lane and lived a few doors up the road from me on Club Garden Road - so sorry to hear she has died - I don't have any school photos either unfortunately.

I started at Sharrow lane school in1941-42 and spent the first day or two in the adjacent church as the school yard was full of rubble due to the war, I understand the church has gone and the site is now a Tesco.

Blitzer. Congratulations on a brilliant memory. I believe my mother attended this school. She was born in 1922 and lived in South View Crescent. Her name was Sheila Clayton. I also think her cousin (born same year) Roy Fittzen went to the same school. I wonder if either of the names are familiar to anyone. Her grandfather was William Henry Clayton, I believe on various boards and the council.

I started at Sharrow lane school in1941-42 and spent the first day or two in the adjacent church as the school yard was full of rubble due to the war, I understand the church has gone and the site is now a Tesco.

sadly, yes it is now a Tesco.

The congregation dwindled so badly, up to the closure in approx 2006 (its centenary year for the building of the extension, making it all the more poignant) that by the end, there was often less members of the congregation in attendance than the staff (vicar and organist).

The congregation was merged with Highfield Trinity (formerly Brunswick Trinity) down the road, opposite St Barnabas' Church.