Sharrow Lane School

Good evening Leipzig and all you other viewers of a very interesting thread !

Yes, remember the box of plimsolls and the bean bags and I seem to remember there were shorts you could wear also. Fancy having shoes on your feet and clothing around your ' Privates ' that had been worn by somebody else !

There were some very poor looking kids I remember, shoddy clothes and shoes. One lad seemed to eat nothing but bread and lard.

We had a green board A4 size on which we wrote with chalk. Education for children in the infants has come a long way in 52 years as they now sit viewing a PC monitor.

Black and white educational films in the hall and at Christmas, Laurel and Hardy. Mr Wild in J3 had an 8mm movie camera and projector. We watched films he had taken of the kids in the playground. Often wondered if those films had ever survived. Mr Wild was an ex naval officer and served with Kenneth More, one time British film actor.

I was one of the Kings men in a school pantomine. My Mom dyed an old shirt red for me to wear and I stood holding part of Humpty Dumpty's broken shell.

A dinner lady I remember was Margaret Travis, lived on South View Road. She was a friend of Mom's.

The toilet in the boys playground. What a health risk, especially when some lads tried their hardest to ' pee ' over the wall !

The walk to Heeley Baths and back with Mr Rowland, thought nothing of it did we. The shop at the bottom of Primrose View on Broadfield Road where we would spend a few coppers on something to eat.

Playing competition rounders in the boys yard favoured the left hand batsmen, who could hit an easy 4 over the wall into South View Road.

Failed the 11 plus but enjoyed a very good education at Newfield Boys.

Must have been reasonably clever, managed to get a 2:1 at Sheffield Hallam as a mature student.

Over to you ex Sharrowvians !

Another memory I have, is of Christopher Polomski, one summers night climbing up and standing on top off the monumental ball, top centre in this photo: http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=t01632

This is a picture of the the stable block at Mount Pleasant House on Sharrow Lane. No small feat for an 11 year old, he must have had some guts.

Leipzig

Didn't Mr Davis, the Headteacher, have a Riley motor car, or is the effluxion of time messing with my memory ?

Two more, didn't Mrs Hirst always have a problem with her eye for a long time after one year she got a Christmas tree ''needle'' in it ?

Also, Miss Dobby was a stunner !:love:

Hi again Treatment

Can't remember Miss Dobby, but by the sounds of it i wish I could! As for Mr Davis's car it was either a Riley or a Wolseley 1500 I think, which looked like the Wolseley car on this page.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.classic-car-restorations.co.uk/50s_60s/images/wolsey_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.classic-car-restorations.co.uk/about_us/about_us.htm&h=226&w=358&sz=117&hl=en&start=8&tbnid=HSopVX7GVQscsM:&tbnh=76&tbnw=121&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwolseley%2Bcar%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Certainly the paint scheme was two tone.

Leipzig

Hi again Treatment

Can't remember Miss Dobby, but by the sounds of it i wish I could! As for Mr Davis's car it was either a Riley or a Wolseley 1500 I think, which looked like the Wolseley car on this page.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.classic-car-restorations.co.uk/50s_60s/images/wolsey_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.classic-car-restorations.co.uk/about_us/about_us.htm&h=226&w=358&sz=117&hl=en&start=8&tbnid=HSopVX7GVQscsM:&tbnh=76&tbnw=121&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwolseley%2Bcar%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Certainly the paint scheme was two tone.

Leipzig

You are correct, it was a Wolseley like the one in the photo.

I think that Miss Dobby was in her first teaching role; there was some kind of play or something that the teachers put on and she was announced as '' Debutante Dobby ''.

All the best.

Hey up Treatment

What was the name of the sweet shop, about 5 shops down Club Garden Road on the left hand side - the shop was known by the christian name of the woman who owned it. She used to sell packets of Tiger Nuts at that time, and if you asked her, she made up a 'sundae' in a tall glass with fizzy pop and icecream.

And what was the name of the old gent who did the crossing patrol across Sharrow Lane, where it crosses the top of Club Garden Road - was it Mr Plant? He seemed to do that job all the years that I was there.

Regards

Leipzig

Leipzig,

I'm not sure what kind of shop that was in the 30's,I seem to remember it had darkened windows,and when you stood at the corner of the window and stood on one leg and raised your left leg and arm 45 degrees it would appear

you were raising both arms and legs at the same time. Yes,little things please little minds!

Does anyone remember Blenkiron's pork shop at the top of Club Garden Rd,where you could get a "penny dip",a bread cake dipped in pork fat with

scatchings.Yummy. Also in the same area,Marriott's fish & chip shop on the corner of Hobart St,best fish and chips in Sheffield.

Leipzig,

Were you an RN "bunting tosser"? I read you making your name by semaphore.

Pity they don't use that system anymore. I learned it 66 years ago and can

still remember it.

Good evening Leipzig and all you other viewers of a very interesting thread !

Yes, remember the box of plimsolls and the bean bags and I seem to remember there were shorts you could wear also. Fancy having shoes on your feet and clothing around your ' Privates ' that had been worn by somebody else !

There were some very poor looking kids I remember, shoddy clothes and shoes. One lad seemed to eat nothing but bread and lard.

We had a green board A4 size on which we wrote with chalk. Education for children in the infants has come a long way in 52 years as they now sit viewing a PC monitor.

Black and white educational films in the hall and at Christmas, Laurel and Hardy. Mr Wild in J3 had an 8mm movie camera and projector. We watched films he had taken of the kids in the playground. Often wondered if those films had ever survived. Mr Wild was an ex naval officer and served with Kenneth More, one time British film actor.

I was one of the Kings men in a school pantomine. My Mom dyed an old shirt red for me to wear and I stood holding part of Humpty Dumpty's broken shell.

A dinner lady I remember was Margaret Travis, lived on South View Road. She was a friend of Mom's.

The toilet in the boys playground. What a health risk, especially when some lads tried their hardest to ' pee ' over the wall !

The walk to Heeley Baths and back with Mr Rowland, thought nothing of it did we. The shop at the bottom of Primrose View on Broadfield Road where we would spend a few coppers on something to eat.

Playing competition rounders in the boys yard favoured the left hand batsmen, who could hit an easy 4 over the wall into South View Road.

Failed the 11 plus but enjoyed a very good education at Newfield Boys.

Must have been reasonably clever, managed to get a 2:1 at Sheffield Hallam as a mature student.

Over to you ex Sharrowvians !

Runningman,

Things don't alter. The toilets in the playground were probably worse in the

30's,and yes the boys in those days vied with each other to try and pee over the wall.It sticks in my memory because as I was entering ,one of the boys lost direction and I got a mouthful! I also remember that shop on Broadfield Rd. We'd call in there on the way back from Heeley baths,starving,and buy cakes that were not in the first flush of life. They were cheap!

Leipzig,

I'm not sure what kind of shop that was in the 30's,I seem to remember it had darkened windows,and when you stood at the corner of the window and stood on one leg and raised your left leg and arm 45 degrees it would appear

you were raising both arms and legs at the same time. Yes,little things please little minds!

Does anyone remember Blenkiron's pork shop at the top of Club Garden Rd,where you could get a "penny dip",a bread cake dipped in pork fat with

scatchings.Yummy. Also in the same area,Marriott's fish & chip shop on the corner of Hobart St,best fish and chips in Sheffield.

Hi BLITZER

How are you diddling?

Yes I often went into the pork shop on a Saturday dinnertime - for a pork sandwich for my grandad who lived on Franklin Street. There is a picture of the shop, it is on the right in this picture:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s21544

I remember that the price of a bag of chips was 4d (old pence) from the chip shop on the corner of Hobart Street "when I was a lad!"

As to your other question:

Message.jpg

But I did get the semaphore drawings from this book which had been owned by my father when he was a lad:

RAFBook.jpg

Regards

Leipzig

Hi Leipzig,

In my day,you could buy a 1d fish,and a pennyworth of chips from Marriotts on Hobart St. Thanks for the photo,but I already have it. Did your Grandfather go to Sharrow lane school? Wonder if at the same time as me,mid thirties. I lived on Ashley Road,and knew a few lads who lived on Franklin St. Remember going with my friend to the bottle & jug dept at the

Crossed Guns pub (in the photo) for a jugful of beer for his dad on a Sunday

dinner time. We had a sip,but I was'nt at all keen on it . Strange how your tastes alter over the years!