Sharrow Lane School

Names i recall are,Ray Somerville.

Ian Grocock, Linda Grocock. anthony Law,Philip Craig,Diane Kirk, Christine Hobson, Denise Bedford,Vicky Goodison, Clive Rowland,Gillian Fawley,Susan Foster,To name a few.

Also if anyone knows the where abouts of Vicky Goodison i would really appreciate it if you could let me know.

Also found reference for school records held at Sheffield Archives, period 1887-2004.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/sidocs.asp?SIR=O116074

Did the school open in 1887? Both my mother and my grandmother (who was born in nineteen hundred and eight), attended the school but I do not know when it actually opened. Anyone know for certain?

Leipzig

it is a school board school, built under the 1872 law education act, so it'd be 1872 and after, i think 1875-ish to 1880

Anybody want to take a bet that Mount Pleasant becomes luxury flats for luxury people with luxury taps in the next couple of years.

Thanks to you all for continuing this thread. Lovely memories and useful information !

Hi Plain Talker - enjoyed the photos.

Hello Blitzer - First of all, I am impressed by folks of your age who have got involved with learning how to use a PC and then access sites such as this, well done !! A long shot, did you know my Aunt and Uncle, Harold and Nellie Stevenson and their daughter Dorothy, they lived on Washington Road, I think it was 108, near the junction of Sharrow Lane ? Dorothy was a pupil at the school.

Hi carcrash, think you could be right about the development of the site.

To you all, tried to get on Radio Sheffield yesterday, left my number, but unfortunately the shows contents must have been planned out, they didn't ring me back.

Don't know whether to try again today, as I am just hearing that the show from 12 to 3 will be hosted by Seth Bennett and not Rony Robinson. Nothing against Seth, I like his style and sporting knowledge, but Rony has more of a feel for Sheffield history and his Mom used to teach at the school.

Rang the school myself yesterday, they hadn't much to say on the subject of a possible open day. I am aware of course they must be involved in a lot of work packing etc prior to their move.

I fear that it may have been left a little late to organise an open day. I had thought about it earlier in the year, but of course time passes by.

There is a guy involved with a possible visit / reunion ( Bill A.) I don't want to interfere.

Sharrow Lane school is about to close this month for the last time, to be replaced by the new building just 200 yards away at the side of Mount Pleasant Park. I believe there is an initiative starting to enable former pupils to revisit the premises and obviously relive some lovely memories.

I don't at this stage know any more details !

I was a pupil there between 1951 and 1958. Memories of the Headmistress, Miss Vick and her teachers Mrs Woodger, Mrs Goodfellow and Miss Hare.

Moving into the juniors and Headmaster Mr Davies and his teachers Mr Furniss, Mrs Pearson, Mr Self, Mr Wild and Mr Foster. I also remember Mr Buxton, Mr Rowland and Mrs Robinson.

Memories of school dinners, visits to the baths at Heeley, school pantomines and Christmas parties in the hall. Football and rounders in the playground and the occasional pea soup fog when day turned to night.

Lets have your memories please and does anyone know any more details regarding visiting the school or contacting former pupils

Sharrow Lane School - swimming Team 1965 (Mr AINSWORTH in center of pic)

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x118/LeipzigLeipzig/SharrowLaneSwimmingTeam1965.jpg

Hi Runningman, I try to keep up with modern technology,but it's a losing battle.The pace of it is accelerating month by month. I do remember a lad called Stevenson,but can't think of his first name,whether it was Harold or not. The lad I'm thinking of was a decent footballer,and I believe played for the school. I lived on Ashley Rd,not far from Washington Rd,but was demolished years ago for a block of flats. I look down on it from Google Earth

and am amazed at the greenery round where Pearl St,Cliff St and Lansdowne Rd were.

Hi

Video of Sharrow Lane school on YouTube - Chinese Lion Dance.

Best seats in the house - toilet-end - lol.

Link to part one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFbxGLOXznU

There is also a part 2

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Lion+Dance+at+Highfield+School+Part+2

Leipzig

Sat here 11-10 pm Thurs evening.

Things are happening all be it very slowly re visit to the school for ex pupils.

Contact has been made with the school and myself and 2 other lads are to meet up ASAP to get the organisation moving.

Going away in the morning, I won't be on line again whilst late Saturday evening.

Watch this space !!

Anyone else would like to get invoved then please PM me.

I hope not.

Aren't all those Victorian School Board schools listed?

I started there in 1963 I think :huh: infants through juniors then to abbeydale grange.My teachers in this order were.Mrs ancliffe,Miss yeardly,Mrs timperley,Mr blackwell Mrs dennis and then Mrs pearson.Mrs alflat took us for music and choir and Mrs inkpen was a strange one who would have us doing plays to bowies space oddity .Pop allen was still the headmaster then.Shame to see it go but it's as usual down to neglect and I suppose newer schools are more comfy.

Mr Blackwell was my form-tutor in J3. He was the spitting image, build, looks, the lot of my great-uncle Pat! lol I believe he had a lot of input to smarties of Sharrow Majorettes, and I seem to remember that he had an after-school swimming club.

Mrs Dennis taught me for English in J3. Mrs Pearson, Mr Rigby and Mr Walker Taught me in J4. Mrs Pearson was my form tutor. Mrs alflat took us for music.

I remember Mr Rigby's tracksuits, red, and royal blue! he took us for games.

IIRC, Mr Allen retired in 1975, when Mr Bishop took over.. I think Mr Bishop must have taken over about christmas-time, cos he wasn't head for the entire last year I was there. Mr allen was still the headmaster when I was in J4

I was in Mrs Pearson's class one day, and a very embarassing incident happened, when Mr allen walked into the classroom.

we were expected to stand, respectfully, when he came in, and all "chant" together "Good morning/ afternoon Mister Allen!"

Wouldn't you know it, just that second as Mr Allen came in, and we were standing to say good afternoon to him, a rotten stinking wasp chose to fly into my ear. I was petrified, and screamed, and tried to dodge away from it.

it caused uproar. Mrs Pearson went crackers at me, and told me off good-style. I tried to explain that the wasp had frightened me. Mr Allen was much more understanding, and tried to stop her telling me off. bless him. he was a lovely chap.

Mrs Pearson wasn't a bad old stick, really, she wasn't as bad as that tale makes her out to be. I worked with her, for a time, as a classroom aide, after I left school. I was very sorry to read in the local paper when she'd been found dead, behind the wheel of her car, after having a heart-attack. (that must have been late 1981 or very early 1982. God! is it really over 25 years ago? Man alive!)

Hi

Here is a bit of memorabilia - programme for swimming gala, held at Heeley baths 30th May 1963. Mr AINSWORTH who was J4 teacher at Sharrow Lane in 1965, obviously joined the school having previously been at Anns Road School. W (Bill) WALL was the resident swimmiing instructor at Heeley Baths at that time.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x118/LeipzigLeipzig/SGalaPage1.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x118/LeipzigLeipzig/SGalaPage2.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x118/LeipzigLeipzig/SGalaPage3.jpg

I had to scan the programme in five parts and then join them together - obviously didn't use A4 size paper in those days.

Leipzig