My Family Name 'Else'

Is anyone on the forum called ELSE as i am trying to trace my family.My farther was frank else my mother was lilly nee foster?.

hi i work with a guy called steve else hes in his 50s

he lives at mosborough

but not sure where he origanally comes from.

a family member of ours was called sylvia else ,daughter lorraine else they owned a chippie on derbyshire lane s8

A Mrs Else was school meals cook at Hadfield House School about 1962

hello Bryan,

Could this be the entry for Frank in the GRO death index?:

GRO Deaths JUN Quarter 1965

ELSE Frank aged 49

reference: Sheffield 2D 84

I have found a possible entry in the birth index, but because I think there may be a mistake in it, I want to ask this question first. Do you have any recollection of these uncles and aunt: Arthur, Harry, Margaret?

Hugh

hello Bryan,

Could this be the entry for Frank in the GRO death index?:

GRO Deaths JUN Quarter 1965

ELSE Frank aged 49

reference: Sheffield 2D 84

I have found a possible entry in the birth index, but because I think there may be a mistake in it, I want to ask this question first. Do you have any recollection of these uncles and aunt: Arthur, Harry, Margaret?

Hugh

my dad died aprill 1965 but cannot find his birth anywhere.as he never talk about his mum and dad or any family,thanks for your help

So I think the entry from the death register must be the right one.

From your father's age it looks like he was born c1916. I did a 5 year search, 1914-18 of the birth index at Ancestry.com and found 3 Frank ELSEs. One in Newberry, one in Ashby de la Zouch, and one in Ecclesall Bierlow. This last is likely to be the right one but that will need proving, as Tuppie says, with certificates.

GRO Births SEP Quarter 1915

ELSE Frank

mother's maiden name: CRIPPS*

reference: Ecclesall B. 9c 855

*The reading 'CRIPPS' for the mother's name actually comes from the FreeBMD database but I am not at all sure that the original says CRIPPS. It could be something like 'CRISPE' - the quality of the image is poor (you can look at it yourself on the FreeBMD site). The reason I asked about possible brothers and sisters of Frank is that there are these three births around the same time:

GRO Births JUN Quarter 1912

ELSE Arthur

mother's maiden name: CRISP

Ecclesall B. 9c 924

GRO Births MAR Quarter 1914

ELSE Margaret

Ecclesall B. 9c 949

GRO Births JUN Quarter 1917

ELSE Harry

Ecclesall B. 9c 770

...who are probably the children of this couple:

GRO Marriages MAR Quarter 1905

ELSE George Arthur Ecclesall B. 9c 460

CRISP Lily Ecclesall B. 9c 460

[note: there are two other names on this page (460) of the index, so if my reasoning is wrong these two might not be married to each other]

There were almost certainly other children of this couple but the index doesn't list the mother's maiden name until 1911.

In any case, the first step has to be to get that marriage certificate to confirm your grandfather's name. If you want to you can order it online at http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ using the information that Tuppie gave.

Hugh

My surname is Else (Sarah) my uncle Steve is the guy Baby barry referred to he lives at mosborough at the moment.

My Granddad Fred Else still lives at Manor Park and has done since my dad was 2 years old (Michael (Mick)Else now 57) along with my late Nan Winifred Else (maiden name Smith) and my dads brothers and sister. Tony and Steve and Barbara (married name Oldham). I recall my Grandad talking about before he moved to that area and I think he lived somewhere around Neepsend. He had a brother called George who lived with him and my Nan and the rest of them, I think he had a couple of brothers called Harry and possibly Frank but i'm not too sure about that, I will have to ask him when i see him later in the week and will be back to let you know what I find out.:thumbsup:

Sarah:)

A Mrs Else was school meals cook at Hadfield House School about 1962
she lived on gregg house road,opposite the school.there were a lot of Elses in the darnall area.

I know your dad he used to drink in the Manor Castle pub, not seen him for years.

He will know the Mcarthurs Tony and Trevor also my brother Pete.

FRB

I used to know a Diane Else, I beleive her parents had a grocers shop on Abbeydale Rd.

I know your dad he used to drink in the Manor Castle pub, not seen him for years.

He will know the Mcarthurs Tony and Trevor also my brother Pete.

FRB

My brother ron else was the landlord of the manor castle for a few years

my late mother phyllis used to work with Winnie Else at the Odeon pictures in the 50s.She and my mother were good friends i myself can remember Winnie she was a lovely lady