Has anyone ever had a book published?

I see. Im so in awe of published authors. It must be very tiring and monotonous work. Checking and double checking.

Theoretically that's where the editor comes in.

The chap I had at Newnes was a star - he popped up to visit me a couple of times from Oxford. He was a vegetarian - I perfected my vegetable curry on him!

Basically he'd go through my manuscript and spot spelling errors I'd missed and also pick me upon 'house style' and correct my more horrendous abuses of the English language.

Once he'd gone through it, it would come back to me and I'd sign it off. My first book ws actually from typescript - it came to me as what were called 'galley proofs' - long sheets of paper showing the pages, that I'd then mark up using special formatting characters.

For my later books I'd send a Word file, he'd edit it and mark it up, send the files back, then I'd do them same, and eventually we'd get a finished 'master file' that would then go straight to the computer typesetter.

It shortened the process but, well, I didn't like it as much; it just didn't seem as 'real' as seeing the galley proofs and such. :)

Like recording to tape as opposed to a hard drive:)

Like recording to tape as opposed to a hard drive:)

Actually - yes!

One of my books was amongst the first that my publisher did with total end to end computer typesetting - illustrations, the lot. The main thing I noticed was that part of the editing / proof-reading process was short circuited because I found it hard to proof read on screen.

The nice thing about galley proofs was that I could stuff some in my bag and edit them wherever.

And I remember whacking out every page of my first book on a manual typewriter - not soemthing I'd advise. :)

I cannot imagine using a manual typewriter to write a book – mine would be covered in Tip Ex with all the mistakes. I do still use paper and pen for editing, then go back to Word with the scrawled-on print-out to edit in the changes.

I cannot imagine using a manual typewriter to write a book – mine would be covered in Tip Ex with all the mistakes. I do still use paper and pen for editing, then go back to Word with the scrawled-on print-out to edit in the changes.

If I screwed up more than once or twice on a page I re-typed the page. :)

Doing the edit was great fun - if you revised something so it went over two pages then you ended up re-typing both pages....at worse you mighte end up re-typing a whole chapter!

As someone who edits/proof reads for a job, I still prefer good ol' galley proofs to editing on screen, but times change and we have to go with the flow... I am pleased that some of my jobs still come on paper though, it is more calming and relaxing to turn over a page than use the scroll bar!

Come on then, Hellbender, post a link to your books so that we can have a good look at them!

I hope the forum will let me post this site:

steveottosbooks.tk

Blimey, you must be tremendously proud.

I agree. A bad reputation is better than non at all.

After reading all the posts, I realize that American Publishers may be out to scam it's authors. However, the book is available in a number of online bookstores, such as Amazon, even though the price is higher than I expected. I still think the book is worth having and can be bought. I wrote it a few years back and never sold it, but felt the information was important.

If nothing else a few people will get to read a book that was not available a few years ago.

Hellbender, the problem with PublishAmerica is that they take anything they're offered--the good and the bad--and then do no real promotion, so ensuring the books simply can't sell. If books aren't reviewed, and are not placed on shelves in real book shops, then they don't sell. No matter how good they are.

Even if you were to get your rights back, you'd not be able to resell the rights to a more reputable publisher as they're only interested in first rights, which have now gone.

You might sell a handful of copies, but you're unlikely to sell more. You'd have done better to go with Lulu.com, or similar, where you don't have to pay but you can set your price much lower than at PA.

The only problem (for me) with Lulu.com and its not lulu's problem per se, is the fact that they are based in America, and people in the UK have to pay the postage cost (p+p) from the U.S. This is obviously not an issue if your book has global appeal, but if it's Anglo-centric it can be a bit restrictive. Having said that though I think they offer a great service but you cannot beat having your book out in the shops as opposed to on-line only, a lot of potential customers first have to find you web-store front (this is a challenge in itself), like what they see, like the price and also be happy to shop on-line and give credit card details etc. As opposed to wandering into a shop. Still the tide may turn in time.

Also, this puts the promotional onus onto the writer which is not always the best thing, generally creative people are not great at self promotion.

Yes, absolutely--a proper, paying publisher is the best option every time. But if you can't sell your book, then Lulu is a far better option than a scam outfit like Publish America.