my piggies are pregnant due any day

I have 2 piggies aged 1, and about 3 months ago we 'adopted' another from pets at home, supposedly a girl aged 3 months. The 2 older pigs have steadily got fatter even though they're on a diet, and have both put on a lot of weight. I've just picked one up and felt something move in her belly, I had my suspicions that new piggy was a boy but we couldn't make his/her willy extrude! He/she was trying to hump the other two and doing the guinea pig sex dance but we put it down to settling in as peanut did it to patch when we first got them to try to dominate her.

I've just looked on the internet and it says giving birth can be fatal for pigs over a year old, and I wondered if anyone else has bred pigs of this age, and what problems they have had. I will be taking them to the vet as soon as possible, but wondered if anyone can tell me how you know for sure whether a pig is up the duff, and anyone know any tricks to definatly establish whether my baby pig is a boy? Thanks!

I think that you need to be speaking to Baileys_mum as soon as possible- she's a piggy person. I'd drop her a PM if I were you.

I can't even offer an opinion I'm afraid- my speciality is cats.

The reason that they say not to let piggies breed over a year is that after that time the pelvic bones set and it makes it hard for the mother to give birth unless she has done before :sad:

If you can feel something moving in the piggies tummy it is a very safe bet she is pregnant...hopefully baileys mum will be along soon with other advice, but a trip to the vets seems in order :sad:

ah bless, been to the vet an now we have 2 piggies ready to give birth anyday now an probably a happy daddy. Roll on tommorow when we wander down to pets at home and discuss vet bills with them and the miss selling of animals that have been incorrectly sexed :))

Awww little pigs, how lovely x

ah bless, been to the vet an now we have 2 piggies ready to give birth anyday now an probably a happy daddy. Roll on tommorow when we wander down to pets at home and discuss vet bills with them and the miss selling of animals that have been incorrectly sexed :))

oops... Had this once with gerbils that were both supposed to be the same sex- ended up with dozens!

yeah, I know a few people that have ended up with 20+ guinea pigs, hopefully that won't happen, think we'll try to sell them then donate the rest to graves park to sell if they take them! I don't want to have to give em to pets at home! They'll be cute babies as peanut is a very pretty piggy, i'm not sure what breed she is but she looks like a giant hairy peanut!

You are under no obligation to return them to the shop (adults or babies) and I have read that P@H policy for missexed offspring is to pay vet bills and they have been known to provide accomodation too.

don't worry, ive no intention of letting my ickle babies end up in pets at home! good, so they should pay for us to get his bits chopped off, they all get on ready well and hes a mentalist guinea pig so we want to keep him! Im excited now even if we will be over-run with them!

If you are struggling to find homes for them let me know, I know loads of folks wanting new piggies. Its a real shame that places like P@H mis sex piggies but admidedly it *can* be difficult to sex them at young ages unless you really know what you are looking for.

If you want any info please feel free to pm me :)

I know, I've had about 5 since I was little so I know a fair bit about them, but this piggie is quite small and does look quite feminine, I had my suspicions when we first got it and tried to sex it but I couldn't! I just hope he didnt impregnate loads of girls when he was at pets at home! and I hope they will agree to pay for him to be neutred, as although we adopted him it quite clearly says 'FEMALE' on the certificate!

Thanks for the offer of finding homes, I'll have a good go myself and will put pics up as soon as they are born!

I don't think they have to by law, but I'd definately put pressure on them! LShopper I think is a P@H manager maybe pm him/her and ask about the policies?