Sheffield Dogs for Adoption - new web site!!

Again, another site I found today.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/how-we-work/environmental-serv/animal-warden-control/adopt-a-dog/dogs-for-adoption

The Sheffield Council have added a FANTASTIC new section to their web site. They have put information up about the dogs of our city.

Lots of information their for dog owners, and what to do. They are still struggling under the burden of just too many lost, stray and abandoned dogs being left throughout the City. The dogs are currently being looked after at the back of the old RSPCA kennels at Spring Street, near West Bar. These dogs are held for 7 days before being put up for adoption.

It is a sad fact that if the dogs are not found homes - and more and more dogs are dumped throughout the city - dogs will have to be put to sleep. The council DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO DO THIS. However, if there is nowhere for them to go - what other answers are there.

Please - if you know anyone looking to adopt a dog - please ask them to contact the kennels and see if they can give just one of those dogs a chance of having a life again. There are so many lovely young, kind, family dogs that are dumped or lost - they aren't all raving mad dogs - as some people would have you believe.

So - spread the word - some of the dogs pics are going up on their web site as well, and we will be putting a link up on the Rain Rescue Site for them to hopefully redirect people from all over to go to visit as well.

Really good to see that the dog wardens are being provided with the space to advertise their rehoming service and the dogs that they have through their kennels.

Yes it is - I think if only the councils could look at the rehoming of the dogs as a brilliant service to the City - and something we can all be proud of - it adds far more credibility to Sheffield, than the dogs being shoved away in dirty places - out of site out of mind.

I am pleased that they are taking steps to raise the awareness to the people of Sheffield.

unfortunately, I understand there are no home checks done and anyone who turns up with money in their hands can take one away

That is just so true and so heartbreaking. However, that happens in most of the pounds or council kennels around the country. In some circumstances - the dogs would have been better off put to sleep - but then in many cases - they do have a chance of a home.

You never know what to do for the best i suppose.

By the law of averages I guess some will find good homes but, although I am totally against the destruction of any healthy animal, I agree that there certainly is a fate worse than death for some of these pets. Some of the people who do 'adopt' from the dog warden kennels wouldn't get past the front door of any of our local animal shelters.

On the brighter side, at least the problem isn't as bad in our area as it was some years ago, 20 years ago the RSPCA and Sheffield Dog Pound between them were electocuting between 20 - 40 healthy dogs every week.

This has only been reduced by a campaign of spaying/neutering over a 20 + year period. The progress made by the animal charities over the last couple of decades has been astounding and thousands of lives have been saved in this area alone ( Thanks to the dedication of the few who have battled against the odds to keep our small animal charities afloat).

Unfortunately there will always be those people who can't be bothered to have their pets neutered, even when several charities offer extremely reduced or even FREE services.

That is so true Lily Lupin. Well remembered. I saw some old statistics for the no. of dogs that were pts and it was about 25,000 when i looked - my god I would have had a nervous breakdown worrying about that many, instead of just the mere 8,000 that were killed last year.

Yes - you are also right - it was all done by electrocution - and probably some ill-trained, ill caring person at that - so we are going in the right direction aren't we.

but, its still not ideal - and I just know that if more people realised how bad it was, and if it was marketted correctly - more of the public would take on these dogs, rather than buy a puppy. Many of the dogs don't have too many issues at all - some need working at it, and some are way beyond repair. My god for them i do feel sorry.

I think we have to keep hoping for more and more improvements - and as our city improves - if we can keep picking up the image of the better rescue centres, and the new fantastic rspca building - then there will be somewhere for the dogs and cats and others to be taken.

There are terrible people in all walks of life - dog ownership is no exception. We just have to keep trying i suppose.

But - at least Sheffield is going to build a centre - unlike Leeds who are still sat on their 3.5millioin - awaiting the dream. How many dogs have been killed since the leeds centre shut 3 years ago? Beggers belief.

Come on Sheffield - get donating and lets open that centre.

By the law of averages I guess some will find good homes but, although I am totally against the destruction of any healthy animal, I agree that there certainly is a fate worse than death for some of these pets. Some of the people who do 'adopt' from the dog warden kennels wouldn't get past the front door of any of our local animal shelters.

On the brighter side, at least the problem isn't as bad in our area as it was some years ago, 20 years ago the RSPCA and Sheffield Dog Pound between them were electocuting between 20 - 40 healthy dogs every week.

This has only been reduced by a campaign of spaying/neutering over a 20 + year period. The progress made by the animal charities over the last couple of decades has been astounding and thousands of lives have been saved in this area alone ( Thanks to the dedication of the few who have battled against the odds to keep our small animal charities afloat).

Unfortunately there will always be those people who can't be bothered to have their pets neutered, even when several charities offer extremely reduced or even FREE services.

Electrocuting dogs ?? Is this fact?? I had no idea , electrocution surely cannot be classed as humane ?

Electrocuting dogs ?? Is this fact?? I had no idea , electrocution surely cannot be classed as humane ?

Sadly this was the case, it was stopped by the RSPCA in Sheffield in the early 1980's after a concerted campaign and much public pressure but it continued for many years after this at the police dog pound. The aweful machine was called the "electroeuthanator" it was an oblong box which opened at the top and one end. The dog was lead in an electrode that had been dipped in water was attached to the ear and a second one to the back leg. The lid and door shut a first 'stunning' shock was given followed by a second lethal shock. Unfortunately it didn't always work first time.

It is very upsetting to recall these aweful times, I am sure these horrible devices, along with the chloroform chambers used for cats, are now long gone.

It is however important to remember that the modern method using lethal injection can be very distressing indeed for an animal if wrongly administered by an inexperienced or uncaring person. Killing is killing and there should be no place in modern day society for taking the lives of healthy animals.

It is the moral duty of all of us to keep on wtih the message of SPAYING and NEUTERING for all pet animals, if we dont the killing will continue.

well said Lily L

I couldn't agree more. Its cos it goes on behind closed doors that nobody bothers about it, or closes their eyes to it. Never the less - like you say - Killing is Killing, and we should all be trying whatever we can to get it reduced even more.

We are trying to promote our free vouchers around south yorkshire - but not having a fantastic uptake on it - there are certainly lots that we have done - but it should be better.

Any advise or help people can give to promote the advertising of this fantastic offer provided by The Dogs Trust I wish someone could help and spread the word.

Applications are via our web site http://www.rainrescue.co.uk

are there any local rescue centres where you can adopt smaller pets i.e hamsters?

Everything Pets but they are out near clumber park - i know they have just about everything being dumped there at the moment.

Anyone had a look at the Council site? Any comments?

Anyone fancy writing to their councillors to ask them to try to help the dog wardens out a bit by increasing support to dogs in our city?