Smoking in school grounds, is it on?

Ive decided to get other peoples opinions on this, and hopefully the ignorant, possibly illiterate, smokers who continuously flout the rules will get the message and stop smoking within Meynell Schools grounds.

My little boy attends this school, and a few months ago there was a letter sent home to parents telling us that smoking is not allowed on the school grounds, for obvious reasons, and since then notices have been placed on the windows around the the school telling everyone who can read that the school grounds are no smoking, and anyone wishing to smoke must leave the premises.

Why is it then, that several parents insist on entering the school grounds with a fag in their mouths? Can they not wait 10 minutes before lighting up. Now if they wish to inflict their second hand smoke on their own children, so be it, but I don't want to stand in the playground waiting for my little boy, with my baby daughter in her pushchair, and have some idiot beside me puffing on a cig. I used to smoke, and if the truth be known, I still enjoy the odd cig when I go out, ( sadly, due to the new laws this will have to stop:() but I think that there is a time and a place, and the school playground isn't it.:rant::rant::rant:

but I don't want to stand in the playground waiting for my little boy, with my baby daughter in her pushchair, and have some idiot beside me puffing on a cig.

Either ask the idiot to move - or move yourself. You don't actually need to stand next to this idiot do you ?

Maybe not, but why should I move? The grounds of the school are no smoking, so surely these people shouldn't be smoking in the first place. And before anyone says, why don't I point this out to these smokers, I quite like my face the way it is thanks, and I suspect that if I did say anything they would very kindly rearrange it for me. I would go to the head, but seeing as one if the senior teachers was stood having a laugh with one of these parents right outside the classroom, whilst the parent was smoking, I fear that this wouldn't get me very far. I just wish that people would think about others, rather than being thoroughly selfish.

, but I think that there is a time and a place, and the school playground isn't it.:rant::rant::rant:

You're right it's not. Apart from the fact they're clearly flouting a school rule, it doesn't set a good example to the children to see adults desperately puffing away on a cigarette. As regards what you said about the teacher laughing with one of the parents smoking, it's like everything else seems to be these days. Rules are written down, but very, very few people seem prepared to reinforce them or do anything about those who break them.

some parents at southey green school still smoke in the playground i think they are just been ignorant:|:|

Thank god that I'm not on my own. I am not anti smoking, I just think that my children deserve to live in a smoke free environment, and that means that they shouldn't have to breath in other peoples second hand smoke as soon as they leave their classroom. I certainly don't smoke in front of my children, and we don't allow smoking in our house. If we visit relatives that smoke, they never smoke in the same room as the children either.

Its about time that the minority of selfish smokers, who think that it is their god given right to puff away where ever they want to were punished or penalised in some way.

Thank god that I'm not on my own. I am not anti smoking, I just think that my children deserve to live in a smoke free environment, and that means that they shouldn't have to breath in other peoples second hand smoke as soon as they leave their classroom. I certainly don't smoke in front of my children, and we don't allow smoking in our house. If we visit relatives that smoke, they never smoke in the same room as the children either.

Its about time that the minority of selfish smokers, who think that it is their god given right to puff away where ever they want to were punished or penalised in some way.

Do you not think smokers are being penalised enough at the minute? Is it not enough that they are no longer allowed to smoke in enclosed spaces (pub, club, restraunt) they have to go outside in all weathers and the whole of the country that are non smokers are pretty much taking away their right to smoke? I agree with you totally on the school issue they shouldn't be allowed to smoke on the school grounds. But if you stop them they'll all hang around the school gates and do it.

Can these parents even read the no smoking signs? or are they the ones who need to be educated? :confused:

If parents collecting children from school can't even comply with a simple school request in the interest of health & safety around the premises what does this say about home life!!!??? Hmmmm .....

It's then the teachers who are expected to teach children to understand rules and values. How can this be reinforced when parents can't even do it? :mad:

And before anyone says, why don't I point this out to these smokers, I quite like my face the way it is thanks, and I suspect that if I did say anything they would very kindly rearrange it for me. I would go to the head, but seeing as one if the senior teachers was stood having a laugh with one of these parents right outside the classroom, whilst the parent was smoking, I fear that this wouldn't get me very far. I just wish that people would think about others, rather than being thoroughly selfish.

Phone OFSTED and complain to them - if the headteacher can't enforce the rules on parents what chance is there of keeping the kids in line.

Sounds a rum school though if you're afraid of getting beaten up for asking another parent not to smoke.

Mention it to the head then he/she can give the parents a gentle reminder in the next newsletter.

Not only the smoke issue here but all those dirty fag ends to clear up :gag:

Do you not think smokers are being penalised enough at the minute? Is it not enough that they are no longer allowed to smoke in enclosed spaces (pub, club, restaurant) they have to go outside in all weathers and the whole of the country that are non smokers are pretty much taking away their right to smoke? I agree with you totally on the school issue they shouldn't be allowed to smoke on the school grounds. But if you stop them they'll all hang around the school gates and do it.

I agree entirely that smokers are getting a rough deal, I don't have a problem with people smoking, but this is a school, we campaigned for healthier school lunches but we put up with a MINORITY of smokers that constantly flout rules of the school and smoke within the premises. Yes, some of the parents do smoke at the gates, they sit on the wall, and I don't have a problem with this, its a free country, but I don't think its acceptable to smoke it the school playground and leave butt ends lying around on the floor. Its not nice to think that when my son is playing out, he may pick these things up. :gag:

Its not really a rough school either, as someone mentioned, but as usual, the ones who ignore the rules are the tough nuts. They seem to get a reputation, and they then think that they can do what they want, because no one will confront them.