Location, location, location, tonight!

Where did the couple with the lower budget end up moving to in the end? I was interested but I had to switch off half way through as that Kirstie woman was doing my swede in just walking into every single house and saying "oooh, knock this wall down here!" Is she a director for a building firm or something? That's why you find it ever harder to find houses with proper rooms instead of having downstairs like something off ruddy Ramsay Street. :mad:

Oh yeah, and if you buy from national estate agents rather than local ones you can still get houses at less than the asking price!

Oh yeah, and if you buy from national estate agents rather than local ones you can still get houses at less than the asking price!

who are these national estate agents, could you give any names please? I only know blundells, reeds rains and all them lot... suppose they're all local

Bet the people with the £750k house are happy with their purchase now that interest rates have gone up!

who are these national estate agents, could you give any names please? I only know blundells, reeds rains and all them lot... suppose they're all local

Halifax were who I used. Most round here sadly are local - but Reeds Rains are national? Winkworth is also said not to be too bad as they overprice like most agents would outside Sheffield. And a tip is to buy something where a builder has taken an old property as part-ex on a new house as they want to shift the old houses ASAP.

Perhaps you're not living in the right areas? There's certainly nothing in the S10 area that goes for its asking price, never mind below it. If you happen to subscribe to one of the services that tells you how much property actually went for, you'd soon discover a big difference.

Not in every case, i know of a house in crosspool that was on the market for £235k but sold at £188k. There's plenty of people buying property now for well under the inflated market value, you've just got to know how to find them.:heyhey:

I managed to watch the tv programme, which I thought was interesting.

I think to be fair, the couples did turn down a lot of the lower priced offers too. The Dronfield house was indeed amazing actually.

One or two of the other properties for the 200k region had around 10 bidders already. It's not like it will be cheap to get them anyway. So, the couple were better off not going into this kind of fight.

I can't believe that both couples were that picky actually. Then again, if it is to be "that" house where you settle down in for years to come. I suppose, I too would be as picky as they were.

There were not that many interesting buildings actually, which was disappointing to see.

Having looked at houses in the Bakewell, Curbar etc neck of the woods with a reasonable budget it is amazing how little you get for 700K. I dont know Dronfield but I can only assume that the house has sime issues to get so much for your money eg schools, location etc... They didnt show the front of the house and so I assume it is on a main road etc...?

Very funny!

Actually did anyone else think it looked more like a decrepit lean to?

Well, that was my first thought, I must admit. But I decided I was just being nasty and jealous because I could never afford a house like that and would dearly love an orangery, conservatory - or even a decrepit lean to!!

I used to watch the programme regularly, but it got somewhat tedious with thingie and wotsit always going on about how picky their clients were and how hard to please. But I suppose they have to do something to try and add some "excitement" to the programme.

Having watched the one on Sheffield, I shall go back to happily avoiding it again.

Dozy

I smile at the way that Phil and Kirsty carefully twist the words, 'this couple can afford property x if they stretch the budget', why don't they say what this really means; 'this couple can afford property x if they commit themselves to extra 10k of debt or whatever'. Budget good word, debt bad word.

and the couple unable to find a house in or around Sheffield for £700,000

I always find it funny when they say they have half a million to spend but haven't found anywhere in 3 years of searching - are they blind ?

I always find it funny when they say they have half a million to spend but haven't found anywhere in 3 years of searching - are they blind ?

As I have said earlier in this thread, there are only a few houses in that price bracket in this area so looking for 3 years is perfectly reasonable. I have been there.

A quick look at http://www.rightmove.co.uk supports this; The site shows 117 houses currently on sale between £250-£300k. By contrast if you are searching between £700-£800k then there are only 6.

As I have said earlier in this thread, there are only a few houses in that price bracket in this area so looking for 3 years is perfectly reasonable. I have been there.

A quick look at http://www.rightmove.co.uk supports this; The site shows 117 houses currently on sale between £250-£300k. By contrast if you are searching between £700-£800k then there are only 6.

And as previously replied to your earlier post, it depends where you look! I also notice in your statement above, you miss out searching on prices between £300k to £700k, interesting! :suspect:

Edit: I've just done that search and come up with over 100 houses...