Location, location, location, tonight!

I can only dream of ever having £700.000 to buy a house I`d struggle at £250.000 why can`t they be realistic with the pricing? Oh sorry to answer my own question with the price of property today they were!.

Was phil calling in favours from his old mates in the business to get a good deal, I wonder.

Funny how Kirstie and Phil manage to get two houses under the asking price whereas anybody else has to bid up and up and then pay well over the asking price under the Sheffield system. Has anyone on here ever paid below the asking price in Sheffield?

We paid £7,000 below the asking price and I chucked a strop at the rather manipulative person at the estate agency who kept lying to me to try and boost the price. "£**,*** and not a penny more, you must think I'm daft!"

An hour later it was accepted.

This is exactly the conversation that was going on in our house! And no, we didn't pay below the asking price - quite the opposite like many others in Sheffield.

Is the system different in Shefield from other cities? I haven't bought since 1990.

Then there was a kind of auction where the estate agent would phone you with the counter offer from the other interested buyer and ask if you would up your bid. There was a general belief that some of these counter offers were fictitious.

And that belief is well-founded. When we bought our house, the estate agent couldn't be bothered to attend the viewing ("just arrange something with the vendor, here's the phone number"). This meant that we were able to agree a price with the vendor on the spot and phone it in to have the house taken off the market. The estate agent then had the gall to lie that the vendor was not willing to accept our offer and that they would be re-advertising the house unless we came up with a "substantially higher" offer. I had the vendor contact him and put him right, and I understand that she did not mince her words (especially as she was now beginning to understand why two previous sales had fallen through ...)

It did make me wonder how often he had got away with this ploy, though, and what percentage of house price inflation is actually caused by commission-enhancing blatant lying.

Funny how Kirstie and Phil manage to get two houses under the asking price whereas anybody else has to bid up and up and then pay well over the asking price under the Sheffield system. Has anyone on here ever paid below the asking price in Sheffield?

To be fair one house was on for nearly a million quid and the other had been on the market for a long time. Next time I buy a house that's up for 850k I shall offer then £700k instead.

:hihi:

Got to put my 2p's worth in this morning after watching this last night.... what a stupid load of rubbish! I live in Dronfield and the couple unable to find a house in or around Sheffield for £700,000, errr were they just really dumb!!?? or perhaps just wanting to share with everyone just how much money they have and what they could afford. :rolleyes: Ridiculous.... there's a whole heap of houses around £500k-£700k that are just as amazing!

The £250k couple found a good 'un though I thought, but like has been said previously - I wish we could know which estate agents they use because I sure as hell didn't find them as easy to deal with!

Got to put my 2p's worth in this morning after watching this last night.... what a stupid load of rubbish! I live in Dronfield and the couple unable to find a house in or around Sheffield for £700,000, errr were they just really dumb!!?? or perhaps just wanting to share with everyone just how much money they have and what they could afford. :rolleyes: Ridiculous.... there's a whole heap of houses around £500k-£700k that are just as amazing!

The £250k couple found a good 'un though I thought, but like has been said previously - I wish we could know which estate agents they use because I sure as hell didn't find them as easy to deal with!

I agree. Listening to Radio Sheffield this morning they said the couple in question were both doctors, and her father was very rich, so not your average struggling couple, trying to get a foothold on the housing market.Why not choose a struggling couple and help them to get a nice price drop.

I think it is entirely up to an individual what they spend on a property - and not really for anyone else to comment on or whine about.....

Funny how (Kirstie and) Phil manage to get two houses under the asking price whereas anybody else has to bid up and up

Yes, that's all very true, but who can resist Phil, tv property god, you'd just go all weak at the knees, agree to anything and only later realise you'd lost £10k or whatever ... ;)

Yup!! But that was only because we didn't understand the system up here! In Birmingham, where we moved from, if somebody said "offers around" the figure that followed was the one they hoped to achieve in their wildest dreams!

Dozy

Same here, moved from Brum and offered 1k less on a house, which had already been reduced by 7k. I wondered at the time why the estate agent sort of gagged, but we ended up buying the house.

Did the same 18mths later .. again because we hadn't really clocked the system, but only 1k this time ... because the vendor offered us that reduction to put our house up cheaper.

Having said that, we accepted the first cash offer made to us on our first home, if we had been a bit more savy we probably could have pushed the price up, but what comes around goes around. People are just to greedy sometimes.

I think it is entirely up to an individual what they spend on a property - and not really for anyone else to comment on or whine about.....

We are not commenting about how much money they have to spend(good luck to them) but do they really need help in buying a property, when there are thousands caught up in a bidding war, and could do with this kind of help.