YORCARD - (Sheffield Transport Smartcard) - Your views required

thanks to all for responding, those that have agreed for me to possibly contact you later i appreciate your views and comments.

Why not leave it a bit longer - don't know how 'officially' you are doing this, but it is a great way of SYPTE consulting with the public. Perhaps other authorities could look at using the forum more - maybe even a special section for consultations...

Sadly, it is not a reliable method of consultation.

You actually have no idea who is responding.

Whether they are 12 years old, in Sheffield or Ulan Batar, whether they have a vested interest or not.

At best, it may raise some issues that had not been thought about before going to a proper, real-life consultation.

The purpose of the thread was just to gain the views of the forum users. The anonymity of the recipiants indeed does preclude it from being used as anything official but some of the comments that have come up as part of the thread have indeed provoked conversation and it does serve as an indication of peoples thoughts.

At the very least it also serves as a notification of the arrival of the pilot shortly and as such has already started to raise awareness of the scheme.

Again i offer the opportunity for anyone with specific questions about the scheme to get in touch with me and i shall endevour to answer any queries you may have.

thank you

Don't see why I can't add my two pennyworth even though I work for the Council. I already have my own Oyster card which saves the Council about a fiver every time I have to go to London.

1) What is your age, gender and occupation?

55, M, Engineer!

2) What benefits would you expect from a transport smartcard?

Quicker boarding, easier for irregular users, cheaper than walk-up fares

3) Would a transport smartcard encourage you to use public transport more?

Yes

4) How would you like to pay to top up your transport smartcard?

Credit/debit card

5) Where would you like to pay to top up your transport smartcard?

Via the internet - others might prefer cash at interchanges

6) What other goods or services would you like to buy using your smartcard?

I'm surprised no one else seems to have mentioned this - parking, both on-street and in car parks, and taxis/private hire - a single card which allows you to pay for all transport related costs - bus, tram, train, car, and getting home after a night on the town.

I have an oystercard which I use every working day. I have certainly used public transport more in London since it was introduced simply because of the capping scheme where you never pay more than a certain amount per day. really handy for hopping on and off buses. Also the bus services are faster and the drivers don't get robbed.

53, Female and a Business Analyst

Speed up transport, not worrying about having the correct change for the bus

most definately

4) How would you to pay to top up your transport smartcard?

debit card

internet, transport interchanges and Sheffield Station

newspapers, chewing gum, anything costing less than £10 really

In case you are wondering I travel to London to work on a Monday and return to Sheffield on a Friday. I am here this week because I am working in Birmingham and it is easier to commute from here than London.

As you may have seen in other threads, YORCARD is due to commence in Sheffield at the end of the year.

Yorcard is a contactless transport smartcard that will be available to use right across South and West Yorkshire but for the first year will run as a limited pilot

During the pilot Yorcard smartcard holders will be able to be use the card on the bus services 41, 51, 52, 60 and 120 along with the trains operating on the Sheffield-Doncaster line.

As part of our planning can I ask the forum users the following questions:

Please feel free to reply on here or pm me with your answers, views, questions or opinions you may have.

Many Thanks

26, male, Self-Employed software engineer/web developer

quicker journeys

It would help.

I would prefer the card to be paid in arrears by direct debit. This would remove all the hassle.

Ideally, no where, because of the direct debit.

Nothing

But, why is this so different to my Sheffield Zone monthly saver that I wave at the bus/tram driver(s) every day? OK technology is a good thing, but i never try to fiddle my fares, just seems like overkill.

It is different in that the driver does not have to look at it. The machine reads it not the driver.

someone else asks why does it have to be validated? If you buy a season ticket on the Oyster card you don't have to have it validated but people do it to show they have a ticket, only the prepay users have it validated. I don't bother with season tickets any more on Oyster because for the journeys I make it is cheaper just to use Pre Pay. Example being my daily fare is £5 per day using oyster. The weekly season ticket on oyster would be around £32.00. I only travel 5 days a week on London Transport so I pay £25 per week using Pre Pay. If I do want to make an additional journey or two the oyster applies a cap after I have paid a certain amount so I never pay more than the equivalent day travel card cost.

Any updates on this - is it on target to begin in November? Any clearer news on how it will work and what it will cost?

Yorcard is a transport smartcard that you load up with products (weekly tickets, travelmasters) or cash as STR (pay as you go).

You will use the card by getting on the bus and simply swiping the card against a reader. The reader will automatically detect what is on the card and charge accordingly.

Sorry, I'm obviously being dense here, but how does the machine know where you're going??? When I get on a bus, I could be going 3 stops or all the way into town - how does it work out which one it is?

Sorry, I'm obviously being dense here, but how does the machine know where you're going??? When I get on a bus, I could be going 3 stops or all the way into town - how does it work out which one it is?

You use the card when getting off as well.

Cracking idea to get people out of the car when going into the city, but then only down side is that it can only be used for the 41, 51, 52, 60 and 120 along with the trains operating on the Sheffield-Doncaster line.

Which is completely usless for me: I like to see every service avalible, such as the south yorks Weekly ticket. But obviously a top up card.

I know they do it in london and it works like a charm

They also do it in HK known as an Octopuss card, this can be used on any form of transport (subway, busb, train, ferry, taxi) and can also me used in any 7/11 or Mcdonalds.

How good is that!!!

Since the OP has had so many positive responses, I'd best provide a negative one from a privacy viewpoint. This may be a minority viewpoint since no one really seems to value their privacy anymore, but I don't agree with prepaid transport swipe cards on principle.

Where I go is my own business and I wouldn't want a card recording where I've been and at what times. I'd prefer to pay with cash which is untraceable, even if the fare is more. The same applies when I catch trains. Although the automatic ticket machines are faster, I prefer to pay by cash at the ticket counter as this gives no record of me buying a ticket.

This isn't because I think I am being followed or watched, but simply because where I go is no one else's business. I'm not a number to be tracked and used in giant market research studies.