Do babies have memories?

Can babies think like us?

Can they remember things before the age of 4?

Do they feel pain?

Answers and information would be very helpful, Thanks!

What a huge topic! I've been studying child development on and off for a while now and wouldn't know where to start with this answer! In theory you don't remember much before you were 3, unless it was something very traumatic.. though saying that, it doesn't mean things that happen before you are 3 don't have any effect on you later in life, perhaps just in a different way!

I remember various memories as a child, the biggest and earliset was when my brother was born. I was only 18 months and i can remeber it as good as my 18th birthday.

I was speaking to someone who is studying child development, and she said it was impossible as babies dont think the same way, and that babies emotions are not the same as an adults.

I remember being jealous of my brother when he was born due to his attention and the lack of mine. This has also been a big influence to my competative nature.

I want to find some infromation on these theroies and information proving them wrong also.

I could be in for a profession change :)

My first childhood memory was from the day of my second birthday. I remember waking up and climing out of my cot I remember thinking wow its my birthday today. My mom never belived me untill I discribed the colour and design of my cot to her.

She said it must have been when I was two as they got me a bed shortly after this as I just climed out of the cot anyway, and the description of the cot was spot on she said. I dont remember anything else from such an early age just that one memory

Hmmm...I've always understood that babies from a very early age, learn to recognise the sound of their mother's voice and also their mother's facial features, and are able to distinguish these from those of other people. This surely involves the use of memory ?

All depends on how you define memory and what model of memory you use.

If you think about it, neural networks produce physical patterns of remembered movement that babies practice and improve on to handle tasks such as grasping, responding to auditory input, etc...

The idea of a baby remembering their birth as a "memory" ie: a scene in their head is probably pretty unlikely but who's to say... Take scent for example... it's possibly the most potent sense but we rarely consciously remember it in the conservative sense.. instead it tends to evoke visual memories themselves usually powerful ones...

Interesting stuff all this though :)

Guest rosie

I have memories from 6 months old.

I used to have a cot in the living room and I can remember watching a pure new wool advert on t.v which was black and white.

I still have a very good memory, even if i am getting older.