It seems quite a few conscripts (and some 3yr guys) from Sheffield landed up in the 'Signals' and started Army life at 'Catterick.' How many recall the 36hr and 48hr passes at weekends on 'Sunters Chara's' from Northallerton or Darlington (can't remember which town.) They were really nice luxury coaches and would drop you off and pick you up at Pond St.

It seems quite a few conscripts (and some 3yr guys) from Sheffield landed up in the 'Signals' and started Army life at 'Catterick.' How many recall the 36hr and 48hr passes at weekends on 'Sunters Chara's' from Northallerton or Darlington (can't remember which town.) They were really nice luxury coaches and would drop you off and pick you up at Pond St.

signed on for 5&7in 1950 so some names are getting a little hazy so was it Richmond we use to go down to the greasy spoon and flirt with the owners daughter over a egg & chips and play the juke box arr fond memory's :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

On my last trip up North I made a point of going into Richmond to have a look at the cinema there. One of my memories was of going there the first time we got a pass. I can remember the film even, it was called ''The Man on the Eiffel Tower'', with Charles Laughton and Burgess Meredith, never did see the end though as I was sick and didn't realize I had tonsillitis, so I had to leave. Happy days, I dont think.

Anyhow the cinema in question is now a church, one of those sect kind of churches, you know, happy clappers.

I spent the whole of Febrary 1969 (28 days) at 'Hipswell Lodge Resettlement Centre' at Catterick Camp on a plumbing and heating course prior to release, 28th Feb was on Friday and on Monday 1st of March I started my 28 days terminal leave.

Whilst at Catterick our regiment shut up shop (due to disbandment) so we had to go to the famillies clinic for our release medicals.

The railway station also closed whilst we were there so we had to be picked up by three tonners to complete our journey for the last two weekends.

Resettlement center Hmmm after 5yrs I was kicked out with a firm handshake I was told at 22 I was to old to learn a trade, in that 1st yr i took every bum job going including shoveling s***t i e horse manure for your garden it was a long time getting my foot in the door of a decent trade(this was 1955)

I occasionly see a guy who was in Signals during the 50's and we were rapping on about those days not so long ago. I mentioned this thread and asked him if he remembered the names of the training camp's lines. So here goes.

1TR, Loos lines.

2TR, Mons or Cateau, linemen,

3TR, Bourlon.

4TR, Gaza, teleprinters.

5TR, was at Ripon, drivers and dispach riders.

I was at 2TR and to be honest those names dont ring any bells at all.

I remember that if you met a good standard as a teleprinter op', you could get to ciphers and become an automatic full Corporal on passing out. As I've said before, I was at 2TR but I can't recollect either of those names. Anybody got a clue on 1TR or 3TR?

Texas- I was a radio operator, it's not on your list and I have forgotten the TR number (although 6TR rings some kind of bell?)

In Canada fuel line freeze up was common untill addative was put in the gas and nobody but the very stupid would go into winter without anti-freeze in your rad, however south of England 54-55 had to be the coldest on record with all our brand new trucks we boldly drove off on our new beamed radio training ,we sat in our tents with channel equitment straped to an overhead fir tree we never even had the common to rig our tents right next morning all 15 of our trucks had cracked blocks we lay in the tents for three days a thick lay of ice covering our tank suit of alot of us had just come from Libya where the Signals ruled the roost we had the know how &fastest over sand bar none 140% we could handle but this cold.(just had eye injection so I'm typing complete blind)

First off flyer, I hope your mince pie is O.K. now.

But I got to thinking, nobody's mentioned the sportin' life. How did you all get on playing sport in the Army? There was plenty of opportunity if I remember right.

As I've mentioned before, I was a kind of serial volunteer,that is, I would have a bash at anything if I could get off duties, and get a late,as much as you could eat breakfast.

So I tried football, which I'm absolutely rubbish at, and you didn't get any perks. Swimming was next. I did pretty good at that. The only guy out of Transmitters to enter into the Regimental Gala. I'm only an average swimmer, so I entered for the diving, boy, you've never seen anybody so bad. I finished up last in the long plunge.

I got shangied into the boxing. I got the breakfasts, the cuts and bumps, but at the end of the proverbial day, didn't make the team.

I even tried water polo. That is a game I could recomend to anyone with a penchant for suicide. When they pass the ball, it's aimed at your head. If it hits you don't know if you're drowning.

I did pretty good at Rugby though, actually got a couple of games for the Regimental side.

We did lose both, but the other teams were much better than us. A lot bigger for one thing, that's why I went for the big breakfasts.

Serial volunteer you sound a bit like me, may be a load of army rubbish but I heard your elder bro' could "claim"you, didn't work,nor Signals Gurka's or Para's looking back I think my C.O was trying to protect me, he did however give me my change of trade fm op to D.R and thats all I signed on for just wanted to ride around on a big motor bike,I had a enjoyable 3more years all on my own

First off flyer, I hope your mince pie is O.K. now.

But I got to thinking, nobody's mentioned the sportin' life. How did you all get on playing sport in the Army? There was plenty of opportunity if I remember right.

As I've mentioned before, I was a kind of serial volunteer,that is, I would have a bash at anything if I could get off duties, and get a late,as much as you could eat breakfast.

So I tried football, which I'm absolutely rubbish at, and you didn't get any perks. Swimming was next. I did pretty good at that. The only guy out of Transmitters to enter into the Regimental Gala. I'm only an average swimmer, so I entered for the diving, boy, you've never seen anybody so bad. I finished up last in the long plunge.

I got shangied into the boxing. I got the breakfasts, the cuts and bumps, but at the end of the proverbial day, didn't make the team.

I even tried water polo. That is a game I could recomend to anyone with a penchant for suicide. When they pass the ball, it's aimed at your head. If it hits you don't know if you're drowning.

I did pretty good at Rugby though, actually got a couple of games for the Regimental side.

We did lose both, but the other teams were much better than us. A lot bigger for one thing, that's why I went for the big breakfasts.[/QUOT

During basic training ,Wednesday afternoon was SPORTS.

One of our N.S officers was Lt Wilcox ,he was our officer.

This was the Wilcox who captained Oxford and played for England (Rugby )

He would take to the field Wed afternoon everyone was supposed to participate.

The only problem was Wilcox played for 'keeps'

I have worn glasses from the age of 10.

My excuse for not getting a concussion was "I can't see without my glasses"

hi texas & sweetdexter no my eyes although not getting worst will be permanent faulty at close range it makes letters &words jump all over the screen, the good news is I can still drive as i don't have any prob' with distance and through the haze my wife looks more lovely every day