No,it was just outside Tripoli 1956.

No,it was just outside Tripoli 1956.

Whew I thought for a moment one of them was my Brother(sheffield lad) I left Tripoli in 55 after just over 3 yrs a lot of roaming with the Sigs

Quite a few Signals people on this forum, I served with 3Div. ( Colchester/Suez 1956) and 4 Div. ( Herford 1960-3 ) and 29 brigade ( Colchester and N.I. ) the rest of the time I was detached.

Quite a few Signals people on this forum, I served with 3Div. ( Colchester/Suez 1956) and 4 Div. ( Herford 1960-3 ) and 29 brigade ( Colchester and N.I. ) the rest of the time I was detached.

25th armored 3yrs Libya with a few floating on loans my U.K time was spent in Christchurch working on this new beamed radio and channeling gizzmos try to tell us a 1inch could replace our 40 foot sky wave,huh likely story :loopy::loopy::loopy:

I joined the York & lancaster Regt in 1959 the back end of National service days.The York & Lancs then disbanded in 1968 . I then was transfered to the Duke of Wellingtons Regt.I left the Army in 1983.

Hi, I joined the York & Lancaster Regiment over in Cyprus and took redundancy when the regiment disbanded, I was one of the last to be released on 31st march 1969 which was the official closing down of the regiment date although as you say the final parade (laying up of the colours) took place on 14th December 1968, my brother was also in the regiment as were several school and TA firends as I'd joined the Hallamshires (TA) in 1962.

Maybe we know each other?

I would have been called up for National Service but I signed on for extra years so I could join a Military Band.

I served for two years in Hong Kong !958-60.

Looking back they were years that were very informative, and broadened my mind no end.

Not a complete waste of time .

I was glad I was there.

What do other 68's year olds and older think?

I missed national service and joined up as a regular; coming from Sheffield I joined the York & Lancaster Regiment which is where many members were recruited from.

When they found out that I was a Bass guitarist from the 'Sheffield Beat Scene' I was invited to join the regimental band to form what they now call a 'Rock Band' I also took up Baritone Saxophone for the Military Band and studied at the Royal Military School of Music (Knellar Hall London).

This is a shot of the regimental bands reed section (I'm second left top) on 1 Y&Ls last overseas posting in Cyprus 1968

4q0tu8.jpg

I missed national service and joined up as a regular; coming from Sheffield I joined the York & Lancaster Regiment which is where many members were recruited from.

When they found out that I was a Bass guitarist from the 'Sheffield Beat Scene' I was invited to join the regimental band to form what they now call a 'Rock Band' I also took up Baritone Saxophone for the Military Band and studied at the Royal Military School of Music (Knellar Hall London).

This is a shot of the regimental bands reed section (I'm second left top) on 1 Y&Ls last overseas posting in Cyprus 1968

4q0tu8.jpg

Was there a guy called George Wood still playing in the band when you were there? I think he played clarinet.

Was there a guy called George Wood still playing in the band when you were there? I think he played clarinet.

Hi Gerry, George Wood went to the Royal Military School of Music (Knellar Hall London) along with Doug Mannifield (Trombone) as student Bandmasters; both went on to have their own regimental bands.

I met both of them at Knellar hall 1967/8.

Hi Gerry, George Wood went to the Royal Military School of Music (Knellar Hall London) along with Doug Mannifield (Trombone) as student Bandmasters; both went on to have their own regimental bands.

I met both of them at Knellar hall 1967/8.

Thanks for that information Bassman, I appreciate it. George and I grew up together in Pittsmoor, he was a really smart guy. I was in the York & Lancaster Regt. 1953 to 1955 and served in the Middle East but I think some of the the band were in the UK during that time. Have you any idea of George's own band after he left the Y & L band?

Concerning Bandsmen.

I have a story,told before but not on this thread.

Our band used to have a kind of savings club,everyone paid in a couple of HK dollars every week and if you were skint you could go in and borrow paying it back with a little interest.

The money would soon mount up and we we have a vote on what we should do with it.

I think it was about 1960 we decided to have a ****-up and invited the band of The Northumberland Fusiliers who were to take our place as the senior Regiment when we left for Blighty

Skip forward to 1965

My buddy and i were propping up the bar in the Museum on Orchard St.

we were chewing the fat about this and that and Hong Kong came into the conversation(btw my buddy did his NS in the Y&L's 57-59).

A stranger standing next to me said "Were you in HK"

It turns out this guy was a clarinet player in the Fusiliers band and was at that ****-up.

He was working on the old Vic Station and decided to go for a pint ending up, at the Museum.

Small world

Thanks for that information Bassman, I appreciate it. George and I grew up together in Pittsmoor, he was a really smart guy. I was in the York & Lancaster Regt. 1953 to 1955 and served in the Middle East but I think some of the the band were in the UK during that time. Have you any idea of George's own band after he left the Y & L band?
Sorry can't help you there but he was a brilliant Clarinetist; he gave an unforegetable rendition of George Gershwins Rhapsody In Blue on a concert at Knellar Hall.

I'm still in touch with one or two band members; one of whom came to stay with us last weekend.