Urgent help needed with computer

:help: You may remember my recent thread about another possible motherboard problem. Well it did turn out to be the motherboard and the company I brought it from have given me a new replacement, which unfortunately is a different model as they no longer have the other. However, I now can't get xp to load and because the other one went suddenly after only a month after I build it up I hadn't backed my data. I have some of my website data on there.

Can anyone help I'm stuck:help: :help:

I've managed to get a replacement board like the original - what a relief I now have a spare board. Once I've backed up my data I'll see which I like best.

:( Oh well, so much for that option - they have run out of stock - I missed it by about a day. However I have been told that if I do the repair installation my data should be ok so I'll try that.

you need a new motherboard with the same chipset as the old one, then you should be ok. can you tell us what make and model your old board was, so we can try to reccomend a compatible one that is still available...

It was the ASRock Motherboard K7S8X (It wasn't particularly old though - I only bought it on the 28th of August). However I am currently highest bidder on one on ebay (but if this goes up anymore I may not bother since I've been told that my data should be ok with the repair installation). However if you know anyone that has one available if I don't win the ebay auction I'll get back to you.

How much data have you got on the hard disk?

May be worth asking someone to retrieve it for you, thus allowing you to reformat the disk.

that's an SiS746FX motherboard... not many will still be around.

Originally posted by Maldonado

that's an SiS746FX motherboard... not many will still be around.

Don't I know it!:( that's why I'm bidding on the one on ebay - there is also another after that that closes in about 4 days so there is still a chance even after this one tonight.

Skatiechik - not that much that isn't backed up from my laptop (that was where all the files were before) but the crucial files are the website ones that I had been working on a couple of days before. Also I have some photographs belonging to my daughter's boyfriend that hadn't been transferred to a disk yet. I was hoping that this thread would come to the attention of anyone that knew how to do this. However since the repair installation won't remove my data only the windows settings I'm not panicing about it if I don't get one.

I still find it a bit scary repairing, whilst your files are still on there.

If you do know someone, get them to plug the hard drive into their computer as a secondary one and copy off the data just to be sure.

Originally posted by Skatiechik

I still find it a bit scary repairing, whilst your files are still on there.

If you do know someone, get them to plug the hard drive into their computer as a secondary one and copy off the data just to be sure.

I know what you mean, but I have several people's word for it that it will be ok, including the IT manager from work, so fingers crossed.

Well I won the one on ebay and it is now fully install and working fine. :clap: In fact that is the machine I am using to type this.

I just wanted to let you all know. I'm now backing up my data to a dvd-r.

Thanks for your help though.:thumbsup::D

Glad to hear you got sorted Wendy.. :)

This thread never actually appeared for me so I must have missed it at some point but not to worry...

For future reference the routine I went through in my PM is the way to recover a WinXP setup that's changed drastically due to a motherboard or similar replacement...

Cheers

:)

Martin