Todwick Grange childrens home

Hiya I worked at Todwick about 30 years ago and lived in the grounds there. I dont remember names of the teachers but many of the kids.

Hello

Do You remember a lad called Michael Smythe he lived at Todwick Grange around about 1970ish I think ?????? Im his sister sharon we lived in Tapton Cottages Orphanage.

I remember Michael and think he's on a couple of pics I've got of a group of us on the top of Snowdon (early 70's). Are the two of you still in touch Sharon?

Cheers,

Christine.

I remember Michael and think he's on a couple of pics I've got of a group of us on the top of Snowdon (early 70's). Are the two of you still in touch Sharon?

Cheers,

Christine.

Hiya Christine

Sadly not no, there was 4 off us that got fostered out in the middle 70's very strict and horrible people they were Michael wasnt 1 of them,but he came to visit us 1 time and the carers took an instant dislike to him never saw him ever again but 1 day you never know our paths might cross, would be intrigued to see the Snowdon pictures as I dont have any photos of him,from what you can remember of him what kind of person was he like? anything u can add will help

Thanks Sharon x

I used to have a 12 year old come and stay with me every Sunday, that would be about 1971, his name was Anthony, l know he was classed as a naughty boy at the time, but never caused me any trouble. The people that were looking after the kids where very hard on them, Anthony went on a caravan holiday with them and somehow broke a window, which they said he had to pay for, how could he they never gave the kids money as far as l remember. The saddest part for me was when l was told l could not have him again, as he kept asking when was he coming to see me. The reason given was that he came from a poor background and he had to stay that way. I am sad to this day, as he believed it was me that did not want him, when l loved that kid like my own.

Was he a small slim boy with dark hair? I remember one lad called Anthony whose parents ran a pub on Infirmary Road. I didn't work with him so can't comment on what happened with him. But I know he spent one Xmas with a couple at their own home. He refused any Xmas dinner and asked for a jam sandwich!

I'm so sorry you lost touch with him.

Cheers,

Christine.

Dont know anything about his parents, think he was from a broken home. When we first had him he was refusing to see his mum, dont know why though.

Sorry yes he was a small dark hairded lad.

Would you like to contact me direct? I may be able to give you a bit more info but think we need to keep this private. Are you on Facebook?

Cheers,

Christine.

Hi

I lived at Todwick grange from1971 to the end of 1972 i new an Antony Mcdevit he was the same age as me who was very quite but prone to bouts of temper (how many kids in the seventies werent) but i can tell you that several years later about 81-83 i met him again several times and he was doing fine with most of his problems behind him

i was in todwick 87ish dont know if anyone remembers me :( lol

Dear Barney Bear.

Which group were you in? I can't remember exactly when I started working at Todwick. Possibly late 1972. Initially on Top Floor in Rhona's group. Wonderful to hear from somebody who remembers Anthony. A lady who he used to visit in Todwick village would love to have news of him. Any idea where he might be now or how we could contact him? It's good to know he was doing ok when you last heard.

You can contact me privately if you prefer. We also have a Facebook group for ex TG people. You'd be very welcome.

Cheers,

Christine.

Hi mrteabag.

I moved on in 1980 and my dh in 1982. You must have been there not long before it got closed down? You'd be welcome to join our Facebook group if you're interested.

Cheers,

Christine.