Todwick Grange childrens home

from later today i wont be coming on sf anymore so a big thanks to christine and bonnie etc for making this a good thread to catch up on the old crowd from todwick grange

bye all

Retired? You're far too young to retire. LOL!

And who knows who might pop up here in the future. We've made contact with quite a few in recent years so don't give up now.

C.x

Hi Bonnie - I remember you very well. I worked in the office and my name is Barbara, do you remember me. I still have a photo of you and Marie which you had taken in a photo booth. Unfortunately, my own daughter has drawn on it, she did this when she was very small but I have kept the picture. I also remember you sister Rose but not as well as you. I am pleased to hear you are ok. I would be very pleased to hear from you. Barbara x To everyone else, I remember a lot of the names mentioned and I saw Llinnos Hodgson last year when I went to her 80th birthday party, unfortunately she died shortly afterwards.

Hi Pete, this is Eddie O from Canada. It was great to read your post and it brought back many memories. I agree that we had fun times at TG and the staff were amazing. One of the best memories was that holiday on the Isle of Mull. I also went back to Oban but the weather was too bad for the ferry so I didn't make it to Mull.

I remember all of the people you talked about and was so sorry to hear about Cyril and Ken. I kept in touch with Norman Elliott for quite a few years, as he was the head master at the school my wife worked at. Dr John Worral in Attercliffe. He has of course retired but is happily still with his wife. Great

guy !

I also remember getting the football field ready. We had some great games,but I don't remember you being better than me, LOL.

Would love to hear from any of our other cohorts, please get in touch.

Hi All, and particularly Bonnie (the forum won’t let me send a private message yet), I was at Todwick in 1973 and ended up long term fostered by Joan Callaghan (Ms Calleran), who remains my ‘mother’. My saving from residential care resulted (with a few hiccups) in doing A levels, going to University in Leeds and I am now a University lecturer; not surprisingly my research interests as a sociologist is in the experiences of marginalised young people particularly those who survived the care system.

For other ‘care leavers’ you may like to look at careleavers.com for help and support (I am not associated with this other than being a member). I would be interested to talk to care leavers from around this time as part of some research that I lead into looked after young people. Jon

Hi Jon.

What great news. Congratulations on surviving the system and doing so well.

Very best wishes.

Christine & Keith Ball.

Hello, Jon.

I remember you and your 'mother' :) She was my favourite teacher by far. Feel free to contact me by private mesage when the forum permits it.

Vincent Foster

Hi Jon.

What great news. Congratulations on surviving the system and doing so well.

Very best wishes.

Christine & Keith Ball.

Thank you for this but I suffer the same sorts of emotional issues as I suspect many looked after young people, despite the apparent quality of survival; those of poor attachment; depression and self blame. Worse for others but common among us. No different for LAYP these days.

I can put people in touch with my Mum (Joan Callaghan) if you mail me.

Hi does anyone remember Sabrina Starbuck, from the late 1960s. Thanks Penny.

i was at todwick back in the seventies with my sister susan,but she left before i did.when i left i was put in another home called the outrake at great longstone in derbyshire.i tried finding my papers about when i was at todwick but it seems they dont exist.if you remember me get in touch please

Hi All, and particularly Bonnie (the forum won’t let me send a private message yet), I was at Todwick in 1973 and ended up long term fostered by Joan Callaghan (Ms Calleran), who remains my ‘mother’. My saving from residential care resulted (with a few hiccups) in doing A levels, going to University in Leeds and I am now a University lecturer; not surprisingly my research interests as a sociologist is in the experiences of marginalised young people particularly those who survived the care system.

For other ‘care leavers’ you may like to look at careleavers.com for help and support (I am not associated with this other than being a member). I would be interested to talk to care leavers from around this time as part of some research that I lead into looked after young people. Jon

hi jon, just browsing SF and came across your bit about Todwick Grange, I was in there too about 1973 for a few months before I was moved to Leeds, love to chat more

carol6180@hotmail.com

carol x

Hi does anybody remember a Tracey Ann Wild who was there in the mid seventies my mum fostered her and would love to hear from her to see how she is. Thanks.