Super Tram - Where would you want it to go?

You are probably right trams to Stocksbridge, Oughtibridge is probably a non-starter because they only seem to take the tram to places that don't use them as much.

BUT. We are a bit cut off in these areas. The tram would be used and I think would be a fantastic asset to our communities. With a bit of planning it could work too. Middlewood Road is out of action at the moment, why not re-route the tram up there while work is on-going?

I have to get back to the point of this thread too. It was a hypethetical question as to where people would like to see it go. Whether there are buslinks already is irrelevant. And it is true most would rather just take the bus.

Extending the tram to Oughtibridge and Stocksbridge would still be a priority if government policy towards tram systems were to become more positive again. With the recent declaration by the government to substantially expand the rail network over the next 5 years with the possible reopening of the Woodhead line to passenger trains, this would increase the likelihood of improved public transport between Stocksbridge/Oughtibridge and Sheffield.

As for most people prefering buses to trams, this is not the case where trams are already running as it is the only form of public transport that persuades people to leave their cars at home whilst at the same time also attracting a lot of bus passengers.

Rotherham.

Well thats 2 of us who think that would be a good idea! I lived in Rotherham until recently, and went to a couple of meetings about routing the tram from M'hall to Hellaby industrial estate. You'd think the suggestion was to kill every second person on the way. :loopy: The strength of feeling against routing the tram to Rovvrum was scary!

I'd still quite like it to open up the old Woodhead train line and go to Stocksbridge. It would be good because the passengers may get a chance to look through a few bedroom windows at Holiday Inn Sheffield Victoria, and there would be stops for both home and away fans to go to SWFC - away fans could use Leppings Lane and home fans could use Wadsley Bridge.

There are all the problems like:

~ You'd have to dig up the Holiday Inn car park if you wanted a stop at the old site of Sheffield Victoria Station

~ Most of the bridges along the route only have track going in one direction

~ Most of the stations are in disrepair

Oh well, it's a thought...

ECKINGTON! It would sort out our bus problems!!

Sorry if this topic has already been started, but I just couldn't face looking at a few hundred search results.

Where would you like to see the Supertram go in the future?

To the Northern General hospital via Owlerton.

And Supertram Link buses running to Stannington, Loxley and Wisewood from Malin Bridge Park & Ride would be great!!