Poorly poorly fish - power cuts!

Wondering if anyone else has suffered with the same problem? We had no power for 32 hours due to the floods - wrapped a double duvet around the tropical fish tank (couldn't think what else to do!) but fish still dropped to 17 degrees for two days.

Power's now back on but they're looking really really seethrough. Anyone got any advice or suffered similar problems?

Fingers crossed they all make it!

Oh dear..

I'm sorry, I'm not sure as to what you should do now, I'm still a novice to tropical myself..

But I'll tell you what we did with ours, just in case you have another power cut..

We did a gradual water change..

When the electric went off, we left the tank until the temperature started dropping..

Then we emptied around 40% of the water out and topped it up slightly with warmer water..

We didn't fill it up all at once, we just kept adding warmer water every so often to keep it at the same temperature until the tank was up to full..

Hope your little fishies are ok soon xx

I had a none flood related power cut a couple of weeks ago and lost the vast majority of fish in my marine tank.

If you still have gas, boil water that way and keep changing a little water for hot water.

If we have more powercuts I HAVE A SMALL PETROL 2-STROKE GENERATOR. THIS WILL RUN THE ELECTRICS OF AN AQUARIUM. I had it for my koi pond, which i no longer have. Set it up outside and run an extension gang socket to your aquarium. In the event of further problems, PM me and I will loan it to you (you will have to provide the petrol, but runs for 8 hrs on a fivers worth.)

Oh dear..

I'm sorry, I'm not sure as to what you should do now, I'm still a novice to tropical myself..

But I'll tell you what we did with ours, just in case you have another power cut..

We did a gradual water change..

When the electric went off, we left the tank until the temperature started dropping..

Then we emptied around 40% of the water out and topped it up slightly with warmer water..

We didn't fill it up all at once, we just kept adding warmer water every so often to keep it at the same temperature until the tank was up to full..

Hope your little fishies are ok soon xx

When I used to subscribe to Practical Fishkeeping mag, some years ago (we dont have fish now), that was the general advice they gave too. Hope all is well with your 'pish' xK

not mutch use now but when i had tropical i used to have a 12volt battery on stand by and a 12v to 240v converter this was years ago when we used to have lots of power cuts but saved all the messing about trying to keep the water temp up.I dont think there too exspensive these days to what they used to be but it sure saved me a lot of messing about.As for the fish now think you will just have to see how they go if it happens again very slowly bring the water back up to temp over 24 hrs.

Fish can be very resiliant - I have three tropical tanks and we were without power from Monday afternoon until last night. The biggest danger the fish are at risk from is ammonia poisoning as the bacteria in the filter media die once they are starved of oxygen. Check your water for an ammonia spike frequently and if necessary beg some seeded media from your local fish shop or fellow fishkeepers.

I'm only learning about fish keeping myself so not sure what to advise here.

You could do worse than post your question on the Sheaf Valley Aquarist

Society's forum at http://www.svas.co.uk/forum/index.php.

I am not sure about these 40% water changes. I think that's a lot - but then these may be extreme times for you. I usually do 15-16% weekly. You need to keep the ammonia-chomping and nitrite-chomping bacteria in the tank and large water changes deplete both.

They may be stressed by the temp changes and I suggest testing the water for ammonia and nitrite problems and deal with accordingly. Make sure they feed well. I feed a meal of freeze dried bloodworms once a week - it's high protein and supposed to help their colour/condition.

Good luck

L.

Hi Lesley;

The bacteria which deal with ammonia and nitrites actually live in the filter media and tank surfaces, not in the water. :) The water acts as a carrier for their waste products.

Thanks for all the helpful advice - I'm glad to report that two days, some fresh bloodworm and restored heating later, they all seem to be picking up. One of my Black Phantom Tetras is still pretty pale, but fingers crossed. Will keep an eye on the ammonia - thanks - I hadn't thought of that at all! (first ever tank - can you tell?!)

There's been enough fish die in these floods - I'm determined that mine aren't going to join them!

Thanks for all the helpful advice - I'm glad to report that two days, some fresh bloodworm and restored heating later, they all seem to be picking up. One of my Black Phantom Tetras is still pretty pale, but fingers crossed. Will keep an eye on the ammonia - thanks - I hadn't thought of that at all! (first ever tank - can you tell?!)

There's been enough fish die in these floods - I'm determined that mine aren't going to join them!

fingers crossed, sounds like you have it under control now plus some good advice what to do in the event of a future powercut