The Homeless of Sheffield

i would love to hear the truthfull calls from sellers outside orchard square."Big issue, big issue.......help the homeless to help there habit"

The last time i saw a big issue seller there he was off his face with half of afganistans summer crop running through his bloodstream!!

Hi Exsheff

Do you think that you would have met the same problem if you were married and straight? Was it just the legislation that was the problem or the peoples prejudice at the shelters? Either way it stinks! Glad your sorted out now.

Yeah they probably would have helped if we were straight and a married couple. Legislation states the gay, lesbian, transgender people are entitled to help, but that law only came in recently.

We ended up in a tent for months. The only help on major charity gave us was some blankets. Considering I had only just been realised from hospital and was on steroids they still only offered blankets.

Yes we are sorted but it will take a long time to get over what actually happened to us last year.

Yeah they probably would have helped if we were straight and a married couple. Legislation states the gay, lesbian, transgender people are entitled to help, but that law only came in recently.

We ended up in a tent for months. The only help on major charity gave us was some blankets. Considering I had only just been realised from hospital and was on steroids they still only offered blankets.

Yes we are sorted but it will take a long time to get over what actually happened to us last year.

If everything else about a homeless application was equal, single, married, gay or straight wouldn't matter - they would all have to meet the same criteria. I know how the legislation works, and if you haven't got a recognised level of need, or vulnerability, then local authorities don't have a duty to provide accommodation, just to offer housing advice. When there are children the council has a duty to provide accommodation, likewise if you are very young or old, or disabled. If you have a long term limiting illness or disability (your ref to hospital) I'm surprised you weren't given priority for accommodation.

I really hope that the rough sleepers got a warm dry place to stay last week.

If you are interested in helping the homeless at Christmas and have a few hours to spare please register your interest with your name and email address

at harc.sheffield.virgin.net