...PDSA are a joke...

This must be a wind up,have 2 dogs and 2 cats and all have at some time been to the pdsa and the staff and vets have always been fantastic to us and our pets,and no way are the vets in it for the money,they are in it because they love what they do,have the utmost respect for all of the staff at pdsa

Well i don't think anyone actually infered that the vets were in it for the money, that is obviously not the case, just that they and some of the reception staff could be a bit more polite and caring where people are concerned, i know a lot of people have the same experience not just a few.

The PDSA do a great job and their staff have to deal with people on a daily basis who would let their pets suffer rather than spend money at a private vet, they can't and don't refuse treatment - because they care about the animals - but you can't expect them to enjoy dealing with some of these people.

What about those who breed (usually pedigree) dogs and cats, turning up fro free treatment when the animal has difficulties with the pregnacy or birth, if they paid for the treatment it would lessen the profit on the litter - because they are scroungers on housing benefit they are 'entitled' to steal charity money? Then there are those with pedigree pets that have cost sometimes hundreds of pounds - turning up for Free treatment, they are on housing benefit to 'entitled' to take money volunteers have worked hard to raise.

Visit the PDSA centre - quite normally the value of the cars in the car park would pay the staff wages for many months, but the owners of these vehicles are on housing benefit so 'entitled' etc..etc...etc..

The staff at the PDSA not only care v ery much for the animals they were founded to protect but they have a DUTY towards those who work relentlessly to raise funds to provide service for those who actually need it. If anyone wishes to obtain charitable help they should expect a grilling. If people do not provide the necessary proofs they should be questioned, if they are indeed genuine they wont have a problem.

I do sympathise however with the person who experienced problems at the end of their pets life, maybe there was a reason in this case, usually they will do their best to accomadate peoples wishes and feelings at this sad time.

Over all I think most of the genuine people who use the PDSA will applaud their efforts and dedication. It is usually (not always!) the individuals who shouldn't really be using the service at all who do the most complaining.

First of all i would like to say that i have noticed a lot of people with pedigree animals at the PDSA and i know that a few years ago the PDSA would not treat a pedigree animal, i can see the point on this but sometimes circumstances change for people... redundancy, illness and just because they once had money once does not mean that they still have it, and the same could be said about the cars, i cannot defend everyone as i do not know their cases any more than you do,and it has to be said that yes some do look like they would have money, it is wrong to use a charity when really you can afford private treatment i don't think anyone would argue with that.

I do feel however that you are extremely judgemental of others in your wording... "housing benefit scroungers" not everyone can work full time, not everyone has a good wage, i would like to point out lots of people on HB do work and work hard, yes people should expect to show proof of bens but i don't think that gives the receptionist a cause to talk down to them if there is a problem, manners cost nothing even if we are saying something unpopular, i do not think reducing people to tears and publicly humiliating them is the way forward at all.

I am complaining about the treatment of my cat and i am genuinely entitled (waits to be pounced on) to use the PDSA why would you imagine that most of the people who complain are not?

sometimes circumstances change for people... redundancy, illness and just because they once had money once does not mean that they still have it, and the same could be said about the cars,

It costs more to tax, insure and run a car than the cost of at least 2 pet insurance plans - it's about getting the priorities right! I always wonder how someone who can afford to run a nice new 4 x 4 can receive housing benefit anyway.

I hope other people who have had dealings with the PDSA and other charities for that matter will use this issue to give these dedicated people their total support. Unless you have worked there you can never appreciate the kind of pressure they have to work under.The rude, insulting and often abusive behaviour displayed by the people they are forced to tolerate in order that the animals get the treatment they need. Of course not everyone behaves in this way (I'm sure you wounldn't) but if humans have had a bad day it tends to show in their general attitude!

It was the title of this issue " PDSA are a joke" that upset me not your comments on the problems you experienced with your cat.

The PDSA treat hundreds of animals every day, many would suffer or die if they were not there. They provide care for many pets who's owners are in genuine need, the original 'joke' entry is absolutely outrageous and offensive, shame on you!

Lily Lupin i do see your point on many things but the OP was obviously upset because her sisters kitten died, and to be fair that did sound like it could have been avoided, surely people can see that would have been upsetting and a little slack be cut? a little kitten is a helpless little thing and it must have hurt, it would seem to me the OP was letting off steam... rightly or wrongly it is perhaps understandable.

The PDSA do a great job and their staff have to deal with people on a daily basis who would let their pets suffer rather than spend money at a private vet, they can't and don't refuse treatment - because they care about the animals - but you can't expect them to enjoy dealing with some of these people.

What about those who breed (usually pedigree) dogs and cats, turning up fro free treatment when the animal has difficulties with the pregnacy or birth, if they paid for the treatment it would lessen the profit on the litter - because they are scroungers on housing benefit they are 'entitled' to steal charity money? Then there are those with pedigree pets that have cost sometimes hundreds of pounds - turning up for Free treatment, they are on housing benefit to 'entitled' to take money volunteers have worked hard to raise.

Visit the PDSA centre - quite normally the value of the cars in the car park would pay the staff wages for many months, but the owners of these vehicles are on housing benefit so 'entitled' etc..etc...etc..

The staff at the PDSA not only care v ery much for the animals they were founded to protect but they have a DUTY towards those who work relentlessly to raise funds to provide service for those who actually need it. If anyone wishes to obtain charitable help they should expect a grilling. If people do not provide the necessary proofs they should be questioned, if they are indeed genuine they wont have a problem.

I do sympathise however with the person who experienced problems at the end of their pets life, maybe there was a reason in this case, usually they will do their best to accomadate peoples wishes and feelings at this sad time.

Over all I think most of the genuine people who use the PDSA will applaud their efforts and dedication. It is usually (not always!) the individuals who shouldn't really be using the service at all who do the most complaining.

Im sorry love but you are wrong if pdsa loved pets so much why did they turn away 2 kittens who the died the following morning.

I am a scrounger. Well, I'm not actually, I claim housing benefit due to genuine ill health. If I were able to drive, I couldn't afford to run any sort of car - people in 4x4s certainly won't be entitled to HB. People's circumstances do change if they lose their jobs/fall ill etc and that's maybe why some have pedigree pets. I am going to adopt an older pedigree cat who needs rehoming, and she won't cost me anything beyond a donation that all rescue centres ask people to make. (see the relevant pedigree cat clubs on line) If I go the pdsa I'll make sure I wear a badge saying that so I won't be sneered at. I imagine there are some people who don't think I should have a cat at all but she will be good for my health and I will be good for her.