Employment / Pay Issues (merged thread)

you get paid to work, not sit at home.

I'm sure you're absolutely right there and right now I'm thinking to myself how very fortunate I am that's not me in that awful plight.

now in my experience a dedicated employee - gets paid regardless of the rules.

you get paid to work, not sit at home.

The flooding in Sheffield has been an extreme occurance and I think it's only fair that some understanding and compassion is shown.

This is not just a case of 'let's stay at home, kick back, have a few beers and watch a bit of Jeremy Kyle'. People have been forced to abandon their cars and spend hours walking in the rain and wading thru floods in order to make it home safely or return to a home that has been devistated by said floods.

These people are then expected to work back their time for having been forced to stay home due to exhaustion, having no transport, being told to by the police, being cut off because of flood water etc. And you speak as though it's bunch of people who have decided not to come in because they couldn't be bothered! I'm sure they would have rather been at work than have to go thru these distressing times.

Furthermore those people who did attempt to come to work (against police and council requests) via the worst affected areas have only added to the chaos and hindered clean up efforts.

I hardly believe people should be 'punished' in these circumstances.

Just a quick question, if you are working can your company legally not pay you if it is closed due to flooding???? Or if you are unable to get to work due to the flooding?????

now in my experience a dedicated employee - gets paid regardless of the rules.

And the disgruntled employees also get paid...they just don't work at hard or effiently.

The flooding in Sheffield has been an extreme occurance and I think it's only fair that some understanding and compassion is shown.

These people are then expected to work back their time for having been forced to stay home due to exhaustion, having no transport, being told to by the police, being cut off because of flood water etc. And you speak as though it's bunch of people who have decided not to come in because they couldn't be bothered! I'm sure they would have rather been at work than have to go thru these distressing times.

Furthermore those people who did attempt to come to work (against police and council requests) via the worst affected areas have only added to the chaos and hindered clean up efforts.

I hardly believe people should be 'punished' in these circumstances.

totally agree with above.....

1) M1 closed

2) Brightside Lane flooded & no power

3) as above - police/council requests to stay at home so as not to hinder rescue/clean up efforts

4) transport affected

5) on Radio Sheffield earlier a rumour going round that pay (RM) was going to be docked for not getting into work.....(anyone any updates on this?)

if that's something they are threatening to do, the Star ought to be informed- it's shocking!

Check your contract - if you are a casual worker (such as behind a bar) then it is entirely possible that you would not be paid.

If you are salaried then I would expect payment regardless.

our work has had to close due to no power so we all went in for past to days and been sent home due to no power and manager will only pay us till he sent us home can they do that were loosing money and its not our fault. We have bills and food to buy and cant afford to be not paid

5) on Radio Sheffield earlier a rumour going round that pay (RM) was going to be docked for not getting into work.....(anyone any updates on this?)

I heard later on Radio Sheff the Union had become involved and RM had revoked their decission

my wife is in same boat at meadowhall is it true people have been told even if they are cleaning up they wont get payed ?

my wife is in same boat at meadowhall is it true people have been told even if they are cleaning up they wont get payed ?

surely not!