Ulley Dam discussion and latest news

just been for a walk down to ulley and from talking to the police and other services - they think the dam will be fine providing we don't have anymore significant rainfall as they are managing to pump off more water than if draining in from the hills. The water level is WELL DOWN from where it was last night.

I took my camera but the flipping thing ran out of batteries... :(

dave. ( + elly ) :)

Here are my pics anyway, took these last night about 9.30

it was quite bad then, never imagined what could happen,

Ulley is such a beautiful place, just hope evrything that is being done works

and the rains stay away.ulleyflood004.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/abbie82/ulleyflood005.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/abbie82/ulleyflood022.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/abbie82/ulleyflood006.jpg

Guest Ant

Traffic cam 14 seems to be keeping an eye on the dam - not that there's much to see from that distance.

http://sccplugins.sheffield.gov.uk/utc/Images/Cam14.jpg

... or is it just local flooding? :huh:

Probably my mistake - just looks like flooding.

My aunty lives at catcliffe and the water is now up to roof lines and rising rapidly! The only answer is the water from Ulley is being pumped into catcliffe! My friend is a journalist and we asked why no-one on the news is asking 'where are you pumping the water into from Ulley' and he said we got told we arent allowed to ask live on tv! Hundreds of peoples houses on catliffe are nearly gone completely! I cant believe they are doing it and no-one has publicly questioned it!

They have just been discussing that on sky news, they think that a slow rise would be safer than a wall of water if the dam wall were to go all at once

I think there will be many people questionning wether or not the dam wall would have actually burst without interference. Therefore wether the areas needed to get so badly flooded at all.

I think there will be many people questionning wether or not the dam wall would have actually burst without interference. Therefore wether the areas needed to get so badly flooded at all.

Most deffinatly i dont live anywhere near the said dam but from pictures i had seen on tv and on the net it dosent look as if the hole on the bank of the dam looked to be all that big in comparison to how big that bank was.

But at a guess id say they were probably told to pump out the water from a higher lvl person of responability as seems nowa days health and safety regulations is all the trend.

Anyone got the timetable for the Rotherham to Sheffield ferry?

I would just like to say what an amazing job all the fire fighters and emergency services are doing at ulley resovouir. They deserve medals for what they have done today. Lets hope and pray the res dosent burst or this would be a major catastrophe for Sheffield and Rotherham, and just spare a thought for all those poor people of Catcliffe and Treeton who have again suffered terribly from these awful awful floods.

Most deffinatly i dont live anywhere near the said dam but from pictures i had seen on tv and on the net it dosent look as if the hole on the bank of the dam looked to be all that big in comparison to how big that bank was.

But at a guess id say they were probably told to pump out the water from a higher lvl person of responability as seems nowa days health and safety regulations is all the trend.

Hmmm. I'm not sure I'd like to be the person making the decision. In fact, I'm glad I'm not.

Anyone got the timetable for the Rotherham to Sheffield ferry?

Does it call at Stocksbridge? I need to get to Moorgate in the morning.