Media coverage discussions

But on another thread, someone called Tony I think it was, said Radio Sheffield was useless and to ignore the information?

when i put bbc breakfast on at 6am, the floods in sheffield and rotherham were the headline story, it was on for th 10 mins before I had to set off walking to work.

It seems that the floods are only slightly important to the BBC Breakfast news today.

From 8:33-8:36 Flood reports.

From 8:36-8:38 Paris Hilton

From 8:38-8:41 Wimbledon.

From 8:42-8:47 The housing market

The back to wimbledon.

If the floods had happened in the South East I don't think they would be covering the floods like this. I think there would be reporters all over Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster, there would be helicopters, and people in the recovery centres talking to those affected.

London bias at it's most obvious.

I'm not impressed.

there is pretty much constant coverage on BBC News 24, has been since last night

Not sure if this has already been mentioned (but cant see it) but was anyone as disgusted as me that the live link to the RAF hellicopter man over the resevoir was cut off (mid sentence) to go to live to LA as Paris Hilton had just been released from prison. How is the safety of british people not a priority over a spoilt rich girl convicted of drunk driving at the other side of the ocean?!!!!:rant:

To be fair as well, I wouldn't have noticed the extent of the damage if people did not take photos of the damage asap either.

Definately. The people working in my office didn't have a clue about how bad things were until I came across some photos taken from near the Wicker at 2pm which showed the road starting to flood. Several of them immediately left work to try and make it to the South of Sheffield from the North before it was too late.

Without the posts on the forum, especially the traffic cams one, I'd have been stuck somewhere around the Brightside Lane/Meadowhall area and being airlifted out.

there is pretty much constant coverage on BBC News 24, has been since last night

The coverage was a bit desperate though. They didn't have a single reporter or cameraman in the area and were relying entirely on photos emailed to them or trapped people phoning them to be interview. Sky seems to have been able to film the flooding from the early evening.

Just watched this -http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_6240000/newsid_6241300?redirect=6241392.stm&news=1&bbram=1&nbwm=1&nbram=1&bbwm=1

listen to the commentary

"I do hate the Sheffield Accent with a passion ... sorry I don't mean to be a snob ... they sound ignorant"

hehe - whoops.

But on another thread, someone called Tony I think it was, said Radio Sheffield was useless and to ignore the information?

DO listen to Radio Sheffield for evacuation orders being issued. However, at one point in time today around noon.. Tony (and a few other SF members) had direct sources from the actual site, which confirmed the situation a little bit more. Which I know wasn't on Radio Sheffield at that moment in time, cos I tuned in. The national news is useless. I've now switched it off to conserve energy. I think the more reliable source locally and directly on the situation is the SF, the Radio Sheffield, and the Sky News. As far as I know.

Online Radio Sheffield

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/community/radio_sheffield/index.shtml

Sky News

http://news.sky.com/skynews/livenewsevents

It's also on BBC News 24, I think.

I don't have freeview, and I don't know the link for that.

Just watched this -http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_6240000/newsid_6241300?redirect=6241392.stm&news=1&bbram=1&nbwm=1&nbram=1&bbwm=1

listen to the commentary

"I do hate the Sheffield Accent with a passion ... sorry I don't mean to be a snob ... they sound ignorant"

hehe - whoops.

That is unbelievable. Imagine if he'd said that about the accent of another country. What would the bbc do then?

Who is this ignorant moron who says that we all sound ignorant?

Why, it's fair comment isn't it? Personally I find the Brummie accent makes people sound thick, and the Scouse accent has the same effect on me that fingernails down a blackboard has. The Sheffield accent isn't quite as bad, but I can see why it wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea.

Why, it's fair comment isn't it? Personally I find the Brummie accent makes people sound thick, and the Scouse accent has the same effect on me that fingernails down a blackboard has. The Sheffield accent isn't quite as bad, but I can see why it wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea.

But you wouldn't be saying that if Liverpool or Birmingham had just gone through what Sheffield has. And then you wouldn't put it on the BBC website.