Post your flood photos and videos in here!

I've added some photos of the after effects of the flooding around Riverside in the city centre and some yesterday/today comparison images to my site...

Wet images - http://www.willdgcox.plus.com/floodpix/index.html

Muddy images - http://www.willdgcox.plus.com/floodpix/after.html

Comparison - http://www.willdgcox.plus.com/floodpix/compare.html

Crazy English Summer... indeed.

I was all set for building an Ark.

I strolled into work as normal at about 8 in the morning. Same old Monday… It wasn’t until around 1pm that things started to unfold, with the rain continuing to pound Sheffield as it had right through the morning, the water on the ground slowly collecting which started to rise rapidly. At what first started out as a quick glance out of the window and expressions of “Wow look at this chaos” later turned into “Oh, how the hell are we going to get home?”… The answer to that was simple. Those who hadn’t left our place by about 3pm were stranded, and those who had, were stuck only yards down the road.

We had folk who’d left at shortly after 2pm, only to abandon their cars having moved half a mile, and walk back to the office for refuge.

By 3 o’clock, our office was surrounded by a foot of water.

4 o’clock, 2 feet.

At about half four those left in the office realised it was time to abandon the actual work we were doing, and set to work on a ‘Gripple Rescue Kit’ consisting of a reel of 6mm wire rope and numerous 6mm Gripples! How’s that for Marketing!

At 5 o’clock the level was about 3 feet - and we slowly started to leak!

By 6 o’clock it had levelled at about 3 to 4 feet! We thought at this point that all the rescuing and pandemonium might have been behind us, so we headed inside - Cold and Wet. We sat down to fresh brew’s only to have the four Police folk get up from their cups of tea and shoot back outside, to find yet more daredevils trying to cross the Savile Street Riviera. Unfortunately the water was now too deep and fast flowing to even attempt any rescue, not even the Gripple Rescue Kit or the trusty JCB could help. All the Police could do was yell - NO! - to the wannabe daredevils.

That was about it in the way of rescuing, however, one bright spark did surf the entire length of Savile Street from Norfolk Bridge to Gripple on a road sign, it was legendary but the Police gave him a bit of a ticking off. I’m hoping someone has a photo/video!

With the excitement out of the way, boredom quickly settled in - limited power and no internet meant phoning and texting peeps was the only way to pass time. This would have been okay, if the phone networks weren’t congested NYE style. Somehow my pictures and video’s made it to Sky News and I received a call from them asking me a few Q’s. After our discussion the guy asked if he could stick me on air, I agreed, but then half bottled it and half passed the buck to the office comedian. The main plan was to get Gripple mentioned, we succeeded.

As the night progressed colleagues and rescuee’s spent the night drinking wine and chatting. We even cracked open a bottle of champagne for our temporary receptionist who was due to jet off with her husband today for their wedding anniversary. Earlier her husband had to abandon his car near the Royal Mail depot, and walk to meet her. They left our office at 5 heading for their car, risking it through the waters only to get stranded and needing to be rescued by the JCB and us lot. Highly amusing - when perhaps it shouldn’t have been.

Not something I’m likely to forget in a while. Have a gander at the pics - which not suprisingly, don’t do the whole event justice.

Absolutely fabulous, well done.

The photos/videos are, how can i say it in a understanding manner, very touching.

Its really good that we can capture these events happening.

History has been written.

I was indoors on that day, I am only sorry that i couldn't share any photos with you too.

having looked at all the pcitures and videos here, it was still a shock to travel through the wicker last night on my way to work, it was eerily quiet with a few abandoned cars dotted around, it's not nice seeing Sheffield in such a state

Hillsborough makes it to front page newsto a paper in Toronto, Canada.

http://www.metronews.ca/story.aspx?id=58074

Funny how they describe the locales of Rotherham and Hull though, not heard many cockney accents in Wellgate or Geordie in Hull have you :) :) :)

Hillsborough makes it to front page newsto a paper in Toronto, Canada.

http://www.metronews.ca/story.aspx?id=58074

Funny how they describe the locales of Rotherham and Hull though, not heard many cockney accents in Wellgate or Geordie in Hull have you :) :) :)

I like the bit of text explaining where Rotherham is:

"Officials in Rotherham, north of London, urged residents......."

I like the bit of text explaining where Rotherham is:

"Officials in Rotherham, north of London, urged residents......."

me too lol