The Myers Grove - Wisewood schools merge debate

should wisewood/myers merger go ahead?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. should wisewood/myers merger go ahead?

• No- Don't merge the schools
    • Yes- Merge the schools
    • No- Keep both schools open, spend the money improving both schools

I want to know why Rivelin parents are being told to contact the independant councillor for Stocksbridge, telling him to vote for the merger.

How many pupils (at either MG or WW) actually travel from Stocksbridge to these schools?

These people really are:loopy:

I emailed him telling him to keep up the good work, and vote against the proposal when next before council.

Its a free country and if people want to write to an independant councillor then they can. Mr davies(?) voted against the merger, i believe that a single site school will offer pupils in his ward a better post 16 provision closer to home than is currently available. It will also save Sheffield people £5 million for a split site school or £27 million if we carry on as we are. Considering his vote has wide implications its only fair that he sees all sides i think.

Which people are you referring to with the loopy sign by the way? The ones that dont think like you? Dont you like it now the issue is recieving slightly more balanced coverage? Its democracy, get used to it.

I've read them all and I've written about the CENTRAL issues. I suggest you read again particularly if you're a supporter of the 'two small schools' group. I have addressed the main points. Everything else being discussed is there just to cloud the issue and there is nothing new in any of it.

Any student of history or politics will tell you-

1. In conflict, the first casualty is truth.

2. The skills a politician acquires on their route to being a politician make them fundamentally unsuitable for serving the voters i.e. they are serving themselves, not you. Your needs TEMPORARILY meet their agenda.

3. Those who forget History are condemned to relive it.

I suggest you get some perspective on what is happening outside your own back door:)

This whole thing has been clouded from the start. Newspaper column inches demand controversy. Falling house prices in the area are a good way of scaremongering. Traffic issues likewise. My own opinion is that the house price issue is a driving factor in this but that it looks bad to say it so its dressed up in traffic, travel and the like. I just cant believe that any parent would deny their child a better education on the basis of travel. Just my opinion mind.

Which people are you referring to with the loopy sign by the way?

The head of Rivelin:rolleyes:. Who is (closely) associated with V. Hardstaff (ex Labour councillor - you know, the one who lost her position to the Lib-Dems in Hillsborough - who is using scare tactics on parents re: MG/WW merger).

The head of Rivelin:rolleyes:. Who is (closely) associated with V. Hardstaff (ex Labour councillor - you know, the one who lost her position to the Lib-Dems in Hillsborough - who is using scare tactics on parents re: MG/WW merger).

From what i can see, the heads at most of the schools think the best option is the merger. They are the educationalists. They are the ones on the front line along with their staff. Maybe they should be the ones we listen to, what with them knowing about education and all.

As has been said, politicians will drop campaigns and communities as soon as they dont feed their ambition. This shouldnt be about politics, the libdems made it that way, Steve Ayris got in on the back of SOS and has been seen in hillsborough collecting signatures at the beginning of this month. Both groups seem to be using each other i'd say.

I've read them all and I've written about the CENTRAL issues. I suggest you read again particularly if you're a supporter of the 'two small schools' group. I have addressed the main points. Everything else being discussed is there just to cloud the issue and there is nothing new in any of it.

Any student of history or politics will tell you-

1. In conflict, the first casualty is truth.

2. The skills a politician acquires on their route to being a politician make them fundamentally unsuitable for serving the voters i.e. they are serving themselves, not you. Your needs TEMPORARILY meet their agenda.

3. Those who forget History are condemned to relive it.

I suggest you get some perspective on what is happening outside your own back door:)

What on earth are you rabbiting on about????? I have been heavily involved in the Wisewood/Myers merger campaign and believe that there are no falling rolls in the North West area of the city as there is no proof behind it, yes they might drop for a while but then they will rise again - where will all the children go then.

This whole thing has been clouded from the start. Newspaper column inches demand controversy. Falling house prices in the area are a good way of scaremongering. Traffic issues likewise. My own opinion is that the house price issue is a driving factor in this but that it looks bad to say it so its dressed up in traffic, travel and the like. I just cant believe that any parent would deny their child a better education on the basis of travel. Just my opinion mind.

We are not denying our children a better education on the basis of travel. They can have a better education where they are now. It is possible for Wisewood to have a refurbishment and for Myers Grove to have a rebuild!!!!!

Correction: It was former Labour councillor Alf Meade who lost his seat to the Lib-Dems in Hillsborough ward. Former Labour councillor Veronica Hardstaff lost her seat to the Lib-Dems in Walkley ward.

Correction: It was former Labour councillor Alf Meade who lost his seat to the Lib-Dems in Hillsborough ward. Former Labour councillor Veronica Hardstaff lost her seat to the Lib-Dems in Walkley ward.

I stand corrected (you'd think I'd remember, being in the Walkley ward:D)

From what i can see, the heads at most of the schools think the best option is the merger.

You'd think (and hope) that this would be the case.

Unfortunately, there are "career" teachers, who carre only for thier own personal advancement.

Surely it should be up to the parents, not local (or, for that matter, cantral) governments to regulate which schools are worthy of saving?

As has been said (repeatedly on this thread) WW has a good record, Myers doesn't. Why should a good school close over a poor school?

If this was truly about education, the best performing school should be the one (if only one option is "viable") that is kept open.

I want to know why Rivelin parents are being told to contact the independant councillor for Stocksbridge, telling him to vote for the merger.

How many pupils (at either MG or WW) actually travel from Stocksbridge to these schools?

These people really are:loopy:

I emailed him telling him to keep up the good work, and vote against the proposal when next before council.

Is this what Ms Hardstaff was doing at the school gates last weeks - I try my very best to avoid her:hihi:

I have a number of questions myself.

For example, is it reasonable to refurbish Wisewood and Myers Grove schools at a cost which is well in excess of the cost of a single new school?

How does the council fund this cost themselves - as there is no money forthcoming from central government if the council does not address the central issue of falling school rolls? Where does the council find the £27 million from?http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/council-meetings/cabinet/agendas-2007/special-agenda-19th-july/myers-grovewisewood-options

redrobbo, when has it been more expensive to refurb that rebuild. I'd question the figures on this and how they were derived. If the schools are in such a poor state that this is the case then it should be asked - are they actually safe for children at the moment and why have they been allowed to get into such a state of disrepair.

If we agree that falling rolls are such an issue then where are the councils proposals for the mergers of other schools with the city. I'd be far more convinced if there were similar proposals in the south of the city that seems to be far more favoured when it comes to education.

Is this what Ms Hardstaff was doing at the school gates last weeks

No. This was a letter sent home on Friday:o

I try my very best to avoid her:hihi:

I don't blame you;).