The Myers Grove - Wisewood schools merge debate

should wisewood/myers merger go ahead?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. should wisewood/myers merger go ahead?

• No- Don't merge the schools
    • Yes- Merge the schools
    • No- Keep both schools open, spend the money improving both schools

I never said that walkley did have a secondary school.

Sorry just being pedantic re: communities and keeping a school for each community:D

Barmyowls and loopylulu. I went to the consultation meetings at Shooters Grove and Myers Grove. I dont recall the issue of busse coming up so wasnt aware that it had been stated that theyd be cut or not provided. I thought that one way to solve the problem of the dangers of malin bridge would be to bus kids. Logical i know which is why i assumed someone in council would have thought of it. Guess i've a lot to learn about politics:D

I think if the merger does go ahead, both sets of parents would want buses so a united campaign should be mounted to achieve this. Similairly if the split site option is chosen, we need to ensure our children are given the same opportunity as Bradfield pupils from Stannington. Again, a mass campaign would be needed.

yep you are very right about the buses, the only thing is the council will not budge on this one because at the present time it cost a staggering £250 thousand a year for the bradfield school buses from stannington and wisewood !!

yep you are very right about the buses, the only thing is the council will not budge on this one because at the present time it cost a staggering £250 thousand a year for the bradfield school buses from stannington and wisewood !!

£250,000!!

I think thats a bit ott.. where did you get that figure from?

So, having seen the report, what are peoples thoughts on the options?

FWIW i still believe a single site is the best way. Its the most cost effective, offers the best scope for a wide curriculum, the sports facilities will be out of this world and the building will be designed for purpose. As you probably realise though, i live in myers catchment.

If the split site option is chosen though, i have very few problems with that educationally. I'll make sure my kids get there and back as safely as possible, if that means driving them, then thats how i'll do it. My concerns would be that outdoor sports facilities dont appear to be as good as myers site. I dont know what WW uses at moment but i'm led to believe that there are no outdoor facilities. Also, how good can a refurbishment be? There is only so much you can do with a building before starting again becomes the only option.

Cost wise, i do have a problem. Where is the cash going to come from? Council would need to find millions from somewhere if the BSF dont cough up.

From what i can see, keeping both schools as they are is a non starter. £27 million for work plus £1.1 million per year to keep it going is just not going to be found. I assume the budget is already stretched, if not, why not? Please, someone tell me there isnt that kind of cash floating about.

Add to that it could jeopordise £250 mil of funding for more schools. If this comes to pass then my dream of 1 community will be abandoned cos i dont want to be the one blamed from all quarters for that one. Sounds dramatic, but that would cause so much bad feeling.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?SectionID=1084&articleid=3021507

at present wisewood outdoor facilities are 2 full size basket ball courts, 2 full size 5aside pitchs , then on cadet field (3mins walk away) they have 2 full size football pitchs, 1 full size cricket pitch, and 2 full size hocky pitchs , so i think there are good facilities at wisewood school at the moment dont you think , as for taking your kids to the school in your car , well they (council) expect all the kids to walk to school , im thinking your starting to understand abit why wisewood parents are abit mad about the merger !!!;)

£250,000!!

I think thats a bit ott.. where did you get that figure from?

sheffield council, harry harpham and alena told me, us this at the consultion meeting hence this is why they will be no buses for the kids if the merger went ahead , and also we still waiting on a traffic report to be done, as jc holland and harry harpham stated , would be

£250 grand is not the cost to bus kids to Bradfield! No way.. it may be the total spend city wide for all school bus services.

I see that the hopeless Mr JCH is now saying that if his merger does not go ahead it will cost the city £ 250 million. Where on earth did he pluck such an over inflated figure from. This guy is now beginning to show himself for what he really is, a desperate man trying to save some face by using scare tactics.

Even if you are pro merger you have to admit that he has made a total fool of himself with his comments. He is insulting the intelligence of all the people pro and against the merger. Mr JCH in my mind has no option now but to do the decent thing and resign

£250 grand is not the cost to bus kids to Bradfield! No way.. it may be the total spend city wide for all school bus services.

I was also at the consultation meeting when it was stated that the buses to bradfield school do cost £250,000 per year. This is on the Sheffield Council Website somewhere and it was also in the Sheffield Star.

I see that the hopeless Mr JCH is now saying that if his merger does not go ahead it will cost the city £ 250 million. Where on earth did he pluck such an over inflated figure from. This guy is now beginning to show himself for what he really is, a desperate man trying to save some face by using scare tactics.

Even if you are pro merger you have to admit that he has made a total fool of himself with his comments. He is insulting the intelligence of all the people pro and against the merger. Mr JCH in my mind has no option now but to do the decent thing and resign

Well said!!!!! Both Myers and Wisewood can still be refurbished to a standard that would meet the current requirements of what a school needs to be. The falling roles issue has been proved to be wrong so money will still be available to the schools at no further cost to the rest of the cities schools. Mr JCH is not happy that the merger plans were thrown out and so now has spat his dummy out:hihi:

Is Stannington to Bradfield over 3 miles then? I didnt think it was and if it isnt why are they entitled to free busses and other parents not?

sheffield council, harry harpham and alena told me, us this at the consultion meeting hence this is why they will be no buses for the kids if the merger went ahead , and also we still waiting on a traffic report to be done, as jc holland and harry harpham stated , would be

It appears from several posts that there are questions around the current policy of busing children.

Redrobbo - if you read this or if anyone else knows can someone please answer the following questions :

1. I understand that the criteria is over 3 miles from the school. If this is the case, why are buses currently provided for Loxley, Wisewood, Stannington, Bradfield pupils to get them to Bradfield school when all these areas are within 3 miles of the school?

2. Can someone please clarify the cost of this per annum. I know £250k has been quoted but is this city wide or is this just Bradfield school?

3. Who funds this? Is this the taxpayer? Do Bradfield Parish Council put anything in the pot for this or is it just Sheffield City Council?

4. Do parents pay anything towards the cost of this transport or is it provided free?

It appears from several posts that there are questions around the current policy of busing children.

Redrobbo - if you read this or if anyone else knows can someone please answer the following questions :

1. I understand that the criteria is over 3 miles from the school. If this is the case, why are buses currently provided for Loxley, Wisewood, Stannington, Bradfield pupils to get them to Bradfield school when all these areas are within 3 miles of the school?

2. Can someone please clarify the cost of this per annum. I know £250k has been quoted but is this city wide or is this just Bradfield school?

3. Who funds this? Is this the taxpayer? Do Bradfield Parish Council put anything in the pot for this or is it just Sheffield City Council?

4. Do parents pay anything towards the cost of this transport or is it provided free?

I cannot answer point 1, but from stannington it must be over 3 miles because from marcliffe school to myers grove it is 2.5 miles.

2. It was definetely stated at one of the consultation meetings that the cost of the bradfield school buses was £250,000 per year and that the council pay this.

As far as I am aware there are no other contributions towards the cost of this from elsewhere.