The Myers Grove - Wisewood schools merge debate

should wisewood/myers merger go ahead?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. should wisewood/myers merger go ahead?

• No- Don't merge the schools
    • Yes- Merge the schools
    • No- Keep both schools open, spend the money improving both schools

My daughter goes up Wisewood in september and if the merger takes place I can guarantee that she will not be attending any afterschool clubs when she eventually moves to the new school as I will not be having her walking home in the dark and there is no direct bus route to home for her. Also when my other two younger children reach the age where they will be going to this presumed new school they will also miss out on after school clubs as they will also not be walking home in the dark.

I am sure that bus routes etc will be modified to counter this problem. Busses didnt go to Meadowhall area in the numbers they do now until Meadowhall was built. Dont let common sense get in the way of a good rant though will you?:huh:

Isnt that what the sheffield college is for though????????????

The Sheffield College's future lies in vocational (training and apprenticeships) education rather than academic education which is what sixth form schools concentrate on and perform much better at than The Sheffield College.

There is still also a lot of bad feeling about the college closing it's Loxley site, deserting the community which it was built to serve. On top of that, the recent flooding of the Hillsborough campus has hit the reputation of the college hard as they were warned many years ago that this site was prone to flooding and therefore they were storing up massive problems for themselves in the future!

And so it came to pass!:D

1 school, 1 site, and 2 different communities - we are divided by the valley and always will be.

You talk about "the valley" as if it it is some evil place with shark infested waters or something. You are creating divisions that have never existed. I attended Malin bridge school when it was still in the Myers grove catchment. Although I went to wisewood school all of my class mates from upper loxley, Hillsborough and Wisewood attended Myers grove. How on earth did they all endure this death defying expedition accross "THE VALLEY" !!!!!

It will be funded the same way as any other school. Pupils=cash.

We can do this. It will unite our communities. We have the power. Pressure works. We wouldnt be having this discussion if it didnt.

Hmm well if it was that easy Bradfield have been desperate to open up a sixth form for a long time. I would really love a school in this area to have a sixth form but ALL the literature that I have seen produced by the council out only talks about a vocational 14-19 unit not what I would consider a sixth form.

I would not consider the type of post 16 education offered by the likes of Sheffield colleges to be equivelent to that of a school based sixth form - and neither do Universities. If anything can sway my opinion on this merger the post 16 options will do it (well that and ensuring that the school/ schools will not be run by businesses) :D

BTW where do I fit in the community thing - we arent Stannington or within the Wisewood area but Walkley (no valley involved :hihi:) :huh:

I am sure that bus routes etc will be modified to counter this problem. Busses didnt go to Meadowhall area in the numbers they do now until Meadowhall was built. Dont let common sense get in the way of a good rant though will you?:huh:

It has been said at the consultation meetings that the bus routes arent going to be changed and Wisewood might even lose out on some of its bus services as a result of the merger!

The Sheffield College's future lies in vocational (training and apprenticeships) education rather than academic education which is what sixth form schools concentrate on and perform much better at than The Sheffield College.

There is still also a lot of bad feeling about the college closing it's Loxley site, deserting the community which it was built to serve. On top of that, the recent flooding of the Hillsborough campus has hit the reputation of the college hard as they were warned many years ago that this site was prone to flooding and therefore they were storing up massive problems for themselves in the future!

And so it came to pass!:D

Thanks for that, i also thought it quite stupid to close the loxley college!

You talk about "the valley" as if it it is some evil place with shark infested waters or something. You are creating divisions that have never existed. I attended Malin bridge school when it was still in the Myers grove catchment. Although I went to wisewood school all of my class mates from upper loxley, Hillsborough and Wisewood attended Myers grove. How on earth did they all endure this death defying expedition accross "THE VALLEY" !!!!!

How on earth can me putting a word like the 'valley' mean what you describe it as. In all truth, Wisewood and Stannington are split by a valley the loxley valley, i never mentioned anything about sharks or death defying expeditions. Stop being so dramatic!!!!!!!!

We are also in different voting wards which also makes us part of two separate communities.

Hmm well if it was that easy Bradfield have been desperate to open up a sixth form for a long time. I would really love a school in this area to have a sixth form but ALL the literature that I have seen produced by the council out only talks about a vocational 14-19 unit not what I would consider a sixth form.

I would not consider the type of post 16 education offered by the likes of Sheffield colleges to be equivelent to that of a school based sixth form - and neither do Universities. If anything can sway my opinion on this merger the post 16 options will do it (well that and ensuring that the school/ schools will not be run by businesses) :D

BTW where do I fit in the community thing - we arent Stannington or within the Wisewood area but Walkley (no valley involved :hihi:) :huh:

In my opinion all areas i.e. stannington, walkley, wisewood are all separate communities. I know a lot of you will disagree with this but that is my as well as a few others opinions.

As far as sacrificial lambs go, when ww was on its knees pleading for more pupils, malin bridge school switched from feeder to myers to wisewood.

When myers pupil numbers then dropped this was not reversed. Myers has had no investment whatsoever. Makes me wonder if this merger was a long time in the pipes.

well this would be labours councillors fault not wisewoods

In my opinion all areas i.e. stannington, walkley, wisewood are all separate communities. I know a lot of you will disagree with this but that is my as well as a few others opinions.

Well if thats the case where would Walkleys community secondary school be:huh:

How on earth can me putting a word like the 'valley' mean what you describe it as. In all truth, Wisewood and Stannington are split by a valley the loxley valley, i never mentioned anything about sharks or death defying expeditions. Stop being so dramatic!!!!!!!!

We are also in different voting wards which also makes us part of two separate communities.

Dear loopylulu

Variations in lanscapes do not divide communites unless there are no means of communication between the two,neither do voting wards . I am sorry if I appear dramatic ,but this whole community debate is begining to do my head in. I have lots of friends in loxley,wisewood and hillsborough and we have never considered ourselves to be of different communities.We share the same friends, pubs, shops, parks etc, and our children attend the same dance classes and sports clubs. If this is'nt the true definition of community, I don't know what is.