The Myers Grove - Wisewood schools merge debate

should wisewood/myers merger go ahead?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. should wisewood/myers merger go ahead?

• No- Don't merge the schools
    • Yes- Merge the schools
    • No- Keep both schools open, spend the money improving both schools

Thank you.

I had been looking at the motion as originally presented in the Summons for today's Council:

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/council-meetings/full-council/agenda-6th-june-2007

... which does differ somewhat from the one now reported (I assume that it had been amended since originally submitted).

Yipee...................................:banana:

well done everyone involved for all that hard work! :thumbsup: lets hope the next few months secures the two schools.

I'm so pleased to hear that Wisewood school isn't going to be lost, after all!

:banana::clap::banana:

why? A majority of kids in Wisewood school are turning into scummy chav types anyway and the school doesn't seem to do anything about the idiots that are crippling the place with they're bad behaviour!

Is it true that a large group of the schools pupils trashed the spar over the road? I heard one of the staff was badly injured

Well lets just hope that Myers still gets a rebuild-plenty of space to rebuild,but where are Wisewood going to build, no room on their site.
I agree more room on the Myers site none on the wisewood one. So wouldn't it be better to build a new school there or else it's going to turn into houses and then you will all be complaining about the extra traffic.

Thank you.

I had been looking at the motion as originally presented in the Summons for today's Council:

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/council-meetings/full-council/agenda-6th-june-2007

... which does differ somewhat from the one now reported (I assume that it had been amended since originally submitted).

The agenda wasn't changed.

The schools issue was debated first under item 6 of the agenda.....

6. ITEMS REFERRED TO COUNCIL

OUTCOME OF FURTHER CONSULTATION RELATING TO THE REPLACEMENT OF MYERS GROVE AND WISEWOOD SECONDARY SCHOOLS

To consider any decision which may be referred by the Cabinet at its special meeting to be held on 4th June, 2007.

Labour moved a motion on the Cabinet report seeking to establish an independent panel to report on the school merger issue. There was an amendment to this motion by the Lib-Dems, which sought to stop the merger proposals and the building of a new school on the Myers Grove site.

As reported in my previous post, the amendment was carried on the casting vote of the Lord Mayor. This amendment then became the substantive motion, which was again carried on the casting vote of the Lord Mayor.

The motion by Lib-Dem Cllr Steve Ayris, listed at No.8 on the agenda, was subsequently withdrawn - as the issue had by then been determined by council.

The debate was good natured, and passionately argued by all sides.

Council then went onto debate the motion by Lib-Dem Cllr Ian Auckland, listed at No 12 on the agenda, regarding the possible relocation of St Luke's Hospice at Norton Nurseries. There was a Labour amendment, which effectively sought to take no action pending a further report, which was carried. This then became the substantive motion, which was again carried.

Time did not permit any further debate, and all subsequent motions were either withdrawn or voted on without debate, in accordance with standing orders.

Footnote: Amendments to motions are submitted in writing at the council meeting, and do not therefore appear on the published agenda.

Red

The agenda wasn't changed.

The schools issue .........................

...........................on the published agenda.

Red

Thank you very much.

It's all much clearer now.

Is it true that a large group of the schools pupils trashed the spar over the road? I heard one of the staff was badly injured

No it isn't true. Without going into detail there were no pupils of the school involved in this.

Its great to see democracy giving people what they want for once.

Its great to see democracy giving people what they want for once.

Democracy was split 50/50 it was our lord mayor that made the right call.