The Myers Grove - Wisewood schools merge debate

should wisewood/myers merger go ahead?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. should wisewood/myers merger go ahead?

• No- Don't merge the schools
    • Yes- Merge the schools
    • No- Keep both schools open, spend the money improving both schools

Ive been told also that Bradfield is already quite a big school and that the council dont want to make it even bigger for this reason:loopy:

Bradfield is not a big school, there's only @970 pupils there.

Bradfield is not a big school, there's only @970 pupils there.

The council reckon that its a big school - its madness isnt it??

im just fed up of all the lies the council say about this merger!

At a time when Educationalists are calling for large schools to be broken into smaller ones, it would be madness to go ahead and build a new large school.

"The move comes as a new report, to be published on Wednesday, calls for an end to super-size comprehensives, arguing that they leave pupils overwhelmed and lost in a 'sea of anonymity'. ":-

http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/story/0,,2209214,00.html

"Sprawling comprehensives with more than 1,500 pupils could be replaced with a series of smaller schools in an attempt to improve examination results. Andrew Adonis, the Schools Minister, said that in the United States cities such as New York had transformed test results, behaviour and attendance by cutting down the size of schools.

'I am keen to look, with an open mind, at all proposals to raise standards in schools,' he added. 'Small schools have been successful in the US and they may have a part to play here in the future, if credible proposals are forthcoming.'

The move comes as a new report, to be published on Wednesday, calls for an end to super-size comprehensives, arguing that they leave pupils overwhelmed and lost in a 'sea of anonymity'.

The policy document from Teach First, the organisation that places top graduates in tough inner-city schools, argues that some schools are so large that some children are falling 'under the radar' and failing to build up relationships with the staff. The report, which was shown to Adonis last week, calls for each large school to be broken down into a series of small schools serving about 150 pupils. It represents the views of 1,000 teachers recruited through Teach First, who each found themselves responsible for up to 200 pupils in their first year of teaching, while those who took on extra responsibilities were accountable for as many as 400.

Such huge numbers often left them 'firefighting' instead of teaching, says Lessons From the Front, a report marking Teach First's fifth anniversary. 'For many teachers, the fruits of their efforts are that the world does not fall around their ears - not too many fights occur, not too many expulsions and just enough GCSEs at A*-C,' it says. 'Clearly this is not good enough.' In a chapter dedicated to school size, it argues: 'In many urban complex schools, teachers' time and energy are simply spread too thinly between too many pupils.' "

At a time when Educationalists are calling for large schools to be broken into smaller ones, it would be madness to go ahead and build a new large school.

"The move comes as a new report, to be published on Wednesday, calls for an end to super-size comprehensives, arguing that they leave pupils overwhelmed and lost in a 'sea of anonymity'. ":-

http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/story/0,,2209214,00.html

"Sprawling comprehensives with more than 1,500 pupils could be replaced with a series of smaller schools in an attempt to improve examination results. Andrew Adonis, the Schools Minister, said that in the United States cities such as New York had transformed test results, behaviour and attendance by cutting down the size of schools.

'I am keen to look, with an open mind, at all proposals to raise standards in schools,' he added. 'Small schools have been successful in the US and they may have a part to play here in the future, if credible proposals are forthcoming.'

The move comes as a new report, to be published on Wednesday, calls for an end to super-size comprehensives, arguing that they leave pupils overwhelmed and lost in a 'sea of anonymity'.

The policy document from Teach First, the organisation that places top graduates in tough inner-city schools, argues that some schools are so large that some children are falling 'under the radar' and failing to build up relationships with the staff. The report, which was shown to Adonis last week, calls for each large school to be broken down into a series of small schools serving about 150 pupils. It represents the views of 1,000 teachers recruited through Teach First, who each found themselves responsible for up to 200 pupils in their first year of teaching, while those who took on extra responsibilities were accountable for as many as 400.

Such huge numbers often left them 'firefighting' instead of teaching, says Lessons From the Front, a report marking Teach First's fifth anniversary. 'For many teachers, the fruits of their efforts are that the world does not fall around their ears - not too many fights occur, not too many expulsions and just enough GCSEs at A*-C,' it says. 'Clearly this is not good enough.' In a chapter dedicated to school size, it argues: 'In many urban complex schools, teachers' time and energy are simply spread too thinly between too many pupils.' "

Good post , just wish our sheffield labour council would take note of this! instead of trying to sell our schools off;)

Thanks to all who attended the Virgin Vie Afternoon on Saturday - it was a good afternoon.

The next fundraising event will be the SOCS Christmas Fayre on the 8th December 2007 at Wisewood Methodist Church.

If anybody can donate anything towards the raffle or tombola please pm me.

If anybody could spare a few hours to help run a stall on that day also pm me please.

Thanks

Thanks to all who attended the Virgin Vie Afternoon on Saturday - it was a good afternoon.

The next fundraising event will be the SOCS Christmas Fayre on the 8th December 2007 at Wisewood Methodist Church.

If anybody can donate anything towards the raffle or tombola please pm me.

If anybody could spare a few hours to help run a stall on that day also pm me please.

Thanks

pm@d you lu,

keep up the good fight.

I saw you on the telly Lucy - fantastic!!! Keep up the good work.

Ive been busy with a fundraiser (school) myself recently. I will pass on what I can (later tonght when I have time to get all the stuff out).

Is it me, or has it quitened down since JCH & Sir Bob "Give us a job gordy" have chucked their notices in?

Just a group of certain Labour councillors to go & we may then get on an even keel within the next decade:hihi::hihi:

Just a thought,

Thats all.

Is it me, or has it quitened down since JCH & Sir Bob "Give us a job gordy" have chucked their notices in?

Just a group of certain Labour councillors to go & we may then get on an even keel within the next decade:hihi::hihi:

Just a thought,

Thats all.

There will be no one left to slag off soon.

What will we do then!

There will be no one left to slag off soon.

What will we do then!

I'm sure there's more political fodder, ready & willing to step in to the breach!

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Councillor-cleared-of-39rude39-winking.3479002.jp

Did anyone see this in the Star ??

"A councillor was investigated by a national board of standards after he was accused of being rude, winking, and grinning at a public meeting.......– was alleged to have winked, smiled, acted in an arrogant manner, and refused to listen to opposing views at a meeting."

This one made me laugh. :hihi::hihi: If you read it without seeing who its about you could almost place HH in this story for his conduct at a certain council meeting when the decision to stop the merger was overturned. We should have thought about reporting him for his behaviour, I didnt know you could or I would have !