The Myers Grove - Wisewood schools merge debate

should wisewood/myers merger go ahead?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. should wisewood/myers merger go ahead?

• No- Don't merge the schools
    • Yes- Merge the schools
    • No- Keep both schools open, spend the money improving both schools

redrobbo

can you please explain to us why they had a consultion meeting for the parents of both myers/wisewood in november?????

when in october labour council asked for the 20mill for the new school !

im sure this is not legal , hence you have to do a consultion for parents to see what the feeling was amongst the parents and both cummunitys, this all was a sham from the start , and by merging both schools , then selling them off to the biggest bidder will not wash with both cummunitys !! when they both find this out !!!!!!!!!!!!!

perhaps you will let all parents know this at the town hall meeting!!!!

because i will if you dont

Oh dear, what a sad, sorry tale this is.

I cannot believe that parents really wish to make their children so lazy and dependent. 5 miles should be nothing for an eleven year old to walk. My own kids travel 3 miles to school, on foot or public transport, it's their choice. By eleven, parents should have given their children the organisational skills to get themselves to school. People need to get themselves out in the real world and look at what happens elsewhere in the city, not clutching at straws by looking at somewhere like Cambridge which bears as much relationship to S6 as Timbuktu. To paraphrase someone else "What can you tell me of S6 who only S6 know?".

Give All Saints a call and ask how far some of their kids travel.

The future traffic plans for the area are going to have a significant impact on some of the arguments used- people really didn't think that the 'Park and Ride' at Malin Bridge was a stand alone development did they? and that, after the investment, it would be allowed to stand practically empty? Indeed it heralds something bigger which will knock holes in any traffic/ two small schools arguments. You read it here first, but you could always ask the mayor.

The demographic of the area is changing for ALL the schools in the area not just the two in question. The schools need to change too. Even if Wisewood was rebuilt on the same site, regardless of how "improving" or "popular" it is, in five years it will be withering on the vine. On that site, it will be the least able to adapt.

I think some people who have a heavy emotional investment in this are going to be very disappointed when some of the arguments used come back to bite them later. Put your efforts into the original plan. In the real, not political, world it's the only one that makes any sense.

I've worked with politicians all my working life and if you believe they are supporting you, then in the near future you will come to fully appreciate the meaning of duplicity. The relationship is the other way around. You are supporting them. Worse than that really, you are just the means that they are using for them to achieve power. That is their only interest in this matter.

The significance is in what they don't say.

Anybody remember voting for a war in Iraq?

I used to live in Oughtibridge, I have lived in Mosborough for six years. Until January my kids travelled 1.5 miles to school. now they travel 3 miles.

not very nice saying parents are lazy some parents have more than one child you know , but the school is and will opt out of local authrity if the merger goes ahead , the thing is that at present they cant get anyone to buy myers or wisewood so local authrity have to run these schools !!!

so if the merger went ahead then they would sell off this new super school to the biggest bidder because its more attractive to bidders !!! this is what myers parents cant see !!!!

dont myers parents understand yet your loxley college ,( went by your labour council!!!!)

the land at side of myers sold off to a housing trust ( labour council again)

both of these i understand that stannington parents wanted they tryed to fight (abit i hear) but still your labour council did not want to know !!!

havernt you seen most of the council ests sold off to housing trusts !!!! by who ......... your labour council

now lets myers and wisewood get a refurb and join together on this spread the word all!!!!! lets not let the labour council get there way again

as I reported before Loxley college as other colleges in sheffield are not owned by the council and are run by Sheffield Colleges and that it was sheffield college that sold off the land but this isn`t about Loxley college it is about myers grove and wisewood schools, I have been to 2 meetings recently at Myers grove school at one we were told about something called opting out of competition, we were also told that the paper work for this option so that if the merger went ahead was all in place. apparently the head at wisewood knows all about this maybe someone from the wisewood school could ask her what it entails. it was also mentioned by paul scriven Lib dem councillor that if they get what they want 2 schools that wisewood would be refurbed and myers would be rebuilt (not sure if anyone aware of this).

I cannot believe that parents really wish to make their children so lazy and dependent. 5 miles should be nothing for an eleven year old to walk. My own kids travel 3 miles to school, on foot or public transport, it's their choice. By eleven, parents should have given their children the organisational skills to get themselves to school. People need to get themselves out in the real world and look at what happens elsewhere in the city, not clutching at straws by looking at somewhere like Cambridge which bears as much relationship to S6 as Timbuktu. To paraphrase someone else "What can you tell me of S6 who only S6 know?".

The future traffic plans for the area are going to have a significant impact on some of the arguments used- people really didn't think that the 'Park and Ride' at Malin Bridge was a stand alone development did they? and that, after the investment, it would be allowed to stand practically empty? Indeed it heralds something bigger which will knock holes in any traffic/ two small schools arguments. You read it here first, but you could always ask the mayor.

The demographic of the area is changing for ALL the schools in the area not just the two in question. The schools need to change too. Even if Wisewood was rebuilt on the same site, regardless of how "improving" or "popular" it is, in five years it will be withering on the vine. On that site, it will be the least able to adapt.

I think some people who have a heavy emotional investment in this are going to be very disappointed when some of the arguments used come back to bite them later. Put your efforts into the original plan. In the real, not political, world it's the only one that makes any sense.

I've worked with politicians all my working life and if you believe they are supporting you, then in the near future you will come to fully appreciate the meaning of duplicity. The relationship is the other way around. You are supporting them. Worse than that really, you are just the means that they are using for them to achieve power. That is their only interest in this matter.

I used to live in Oughtibridge, I have lived in Mosborough for six years. Until January my kids travelled 1.5 miles to school. now they travel 3 miles.

what are you on about if you read all the posts its not just about traffic !!!!

as I reported before Loxley college as other colleges in sheffield are not owned by the council and are run by Sheffield Colleges and that it was sheffield college that sold off the land but this isn`t about Loxley college it is about myers grove and wisewood schools, I have been to 2 meetings recently at Myers grove school at one we were told about something called opting out of competition, we were also told that the paper work for this option so that if the merger went ahead was all in place. apparently the head at wisewood knows all about this maybe someone from the wisewood school could ask her what it entails. it was also mentioned by paul scriven Lib dem councillor that if they get what they want 2 schools that wisewood would be refurbed and myers would be rebuilt (not sure if anyone aware of this).

loxley college was part owned by the council!!! just like to know who told you about this "opting out of competition" as so far the labour council " harry harpham, jc holland has told a few lies so far in all of the consultion meetings"

just like to add this is the option wisewood parents got ,

"hey your school is doing really well and has very good grades , oh and is full but tell you what ! we going to close wisewood school and make your kids walk to myers grove super school, and we will not provide a bus or any crossings for your kids , oh sumthing else the air pollution in malin bridge is very high so dont take your kids buy car , oh and after school clubs your kids cant go to them ! oh and somthing else the school will be run private!!

but the good news is your head teacher (wisewood) will be the head of the new super school , the bad news well most your teachers that your kids like and trust may be leaving !!

sounds great dont it lol

bit a tongue and cheek there all

this does sound about rite tho

sorry events have not moved on about thefirst consultion when the merger was stopped by the lib dems etc, the legal action from the (socs group) went on hold also ! now the merger is back in the air ! the legal action is now open again against the consultion document , sumthing im sure yourself and other councillors will have to deal with . this could also lead to the consultion document been done all over again . so please if you could i would like to know the same questions masonsarms are asking , and as a councillor im sure you would have read the 1st consultion document so studiously as its in your best interest if you are going to vote on the merger or not !!!! please dont take it the wrong way ! but i do feel this is very important:cool:

still no answer on this one redrobbo

redrobbo

can you please explain to us why they had a consultion meeting for the parents of both myers/wisewood in november?????

when in october labour council asked for the 20mill for the new school !

im sure this is not legal , hence you have to do a consultion for parents to see what the feeling was amongst the parents and both cummunitys, this all was a sham from the start , and by merging both schools , then selling them off to the biggest bidder will not wash with both cummunitys !! when they both find this out !!!!!!!!!!!!!

perhaps you will let all parents know this at the town hall meeting!!!!

because i will if you dont

I have explained on a previous post that I was not involved in the consultation process.

However, the notion of selling off schools "to the biggest bidder" is incorrect.

Any school is in a position to apply for trust status if they so wish.

Totally agree with this post ... I'm glad I walked to school every morning and back again at night when I was a kid ... set me up for a fit and healthy life.

And if they wanted to close one school down, the least they could do would be to provide a free school bus service.

The thing I really don't agree with is taking schools out of local authority control ... a back door to privatization, which has already ruined the railways, bus services and countless other things in this country.

But can you reallly see Sheffield Council doing something like that?

sorry events have not moved on about thefirst consultion when the merger was stopped by the lib dems etc, the legal action from the (socs group) went on hold also ! now the merger is back in the air ! the legal action is now open again against the consultion document , sumthing im sure yourself and other councillors will have to deal with . this could also lead to the consultion document been done all over again . so please if you could i would like to know the same questions masonsarms are asking , and as a councillor im sure you would have read the 1st consultion document so studiously as its in your best interest if you are going to vote on the merger or not !!!! please dont take it the wrong way ! but i do feel this is very important:cool:

still no answer on this one redrobbo

I did indeed read the first consultation results document. I have also (twice) read the report issued on 10 July, which, if you have also read it, clearly demonstrates that events have indeed moved on.

I have a number of questions myself.

For example, is it reasonable to refurbish Wisewood and Myers Grove schools at a cost which is well in excess of the cost of a single new school?

How does the council fund this cost themselves - as there is no money forthcoming from central government if the council does not address the central issue of falling school rolls? Where does the council find the £27 million from?

Here is the link again if you missed it in an earlier post of mine.....

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/council-meetings/cabinet/agendas-2007/special-agenda-19th-july/myers-grovewisewood-options

I want to know why Rivelin parents are being told to contact the independant councillor for Stocksbridge, telling him to vote for the merger.

How many pupils (at either MG or WW) actually travel from Stocksbridge to these schools?

These people really are:loopy:

I emailed him telling him to keep up the good work, and vote against the proposal when next before council.

what are you on about if you read all the posts its not just about traffic !!!!

I've read them all and I've written about the CENTRAL issues. I suggest you read again particularly if you're a supporter of the 'two small schools' group. I have addressed the main points. Everything else being discussed is there just to cloud the issue and there is nothing new in any of it.

Any student of history or politics will tell you-

1. In conflict, the first casualty is truth.

2. The skills a politician acquires on their route to being a politician make them fundamentally unsuitable for serving the voters i.e. they are serving themselves, not you. Your needs TEMPORARILY meet their agenda.

3. Those who forget History are condemned to relive it.

I suggest you get some perspective on what is happening outside your own back door:)